PDA

View Full Version : Ford F150

Zudnic
09-08-2015, 11:09 AM
I always buy Ford trucks and have had several of their SUV's. Two Excursions, a Lincoln Navigator, F250's to even a Ford Ranger. Recently I needed a truck. The reason for going Ford is they have the best fit and finish out of the American manufactures. Well last month I picked up a 2015 F150, almost fully loaded, everything but navigation and leather (doesn't belong in a truck). It drives o.k., nice V8 power, the seats are comfy and its good at towing most loads. But I'm very disappointed in the paint quality. In the door jams its not smooth and shiny, looks sticky, more then just orange peel. I believe Ford is cutting corners to keep the price low. I should have looked closer before buying this truck. Next truck might be a Dodge.

BUIZILLA
09-08-2015, 12:04 PM
depending on the color, Ford doesn't clear coat the jambs, underhood, or usually any indirect vision area's

as far as the Ram's, they are building a helluva good truck right now, I think the interior is on par with anybody's, if not even the best...

olredalert
09-08-2015, 01:47 PM
----Jim,,,Up here in winter salt land the Dodge truck beds are particularly susceptible to rust around the wheelwells. I dont understand why they cant do a better job prepping the beds, but I see it all the time.......Bill S

mphatc
09-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Many manufacturers including high end European companies are forced to be more green in their manufacturing processes. This includes elimination of chemicals in the production process. American manufacturers are painting their products with water based paint, the shiny clear top coat is still based on chemicals that are hazardous materials with pollutants. FWIW, car construction processes pollute more than the use of the car during its entire life span.
My own experience is with BMWs. In my shop we have a full body shop and paint booth. Many of the cars we repair have completely different colors and finishes in door jambs and engine compartments for these reasons.
I also have a client who is a Ford sales trainer on all of their new products and technology, through him I've been able to see and test drive some of the products Ford will bring to market, often months before release. This company has it, simply put, they are by far and away the best American car builder.

So why did I buy a new Tundra 5.7 ???

Mario

woobs
09-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Generally, I'm an import guy. But when it comes to trucks, for my money... it's GMC! (I can't afford a Toyota)

My 2004 GMC Canyon 4x4 has just about 300,000 kms (187,000 mi) on her. She looks like a truck with dings scuffs and scratches as it was a daily work truck for a tradesman before I got it and I don't baby it (wash 1-2 year). There have been no major mechanical issues and the silly little issues were easily (and cheaply) fixed. The ONE body issue is rust in the rockers (a GM signature I suppose) but, after 11 years of abuse (albeit with regular maintenance) and Canadian winters, it still runs and rides like a top. BTW I fixed the rockers.

The 3.5 I5 (220HP) gets surprising fuel mileage and pulls my boat beautifully. It has no trouble in/out at the ramp either. I jam it full of crap for the dump, move furniture/engines, boxes galore (and my daughter to University). The whole family fits inside and long trips are not uncomfortable.

I'll take longevity over fit and finish every day. (But, I also think my GMC looks way better than the comparable Dodge and Ford offerings)82967

Zudnic
09-09-2015, 10:06 AM
I'm like the beer commercial. I don't always buy American, but when I do its Ford. It did take a week before noticing how bad the non visible area's are. Now that I know its like this, it really annoys me. The interior is pretty good, except the glove box and center console compartment. See both breaking easily. Its a forest green color.