PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Top

jordanmc
09-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Ok go easy on me here. Has anyone installed a bimini top on a 22ft classic? Looking for ways to extend boat time with kids on board.

smokediver
09-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Nate , aka James Bond had the nicest one I have seen. Shoot him a pm

chip w
09-08-2015, 07:58 AM
I put one on our 18 Classic last year as we live in FL and the summer sun gets to be a bit much for my wife and son. I had it custom made and it's fairly low, about 36" above the seat backs. That kept it low enough to keep us out of the sun and also it looks better than one that would be, say, 48" high. It folds back and rests right behind the back seat. It has quick release connections so putting it on or taking it off only takes about 1 minute. I'll try to get some pictures of it tonight.

jordanmc
09-08-2015, 08:02 AM
That would be great, I am looking to get exactly what you have described. How is it at speed? Where in Florida are you? I am hoping to bring mine down this winter!

chip w
09-08-2015, 08:05 AM
I'm in Tampa.

I've run between 35 and 40 with no problems at all. I could probably go faster but it's so easy to put it down that if we want more speed that's what we do.

The front anchors are located inside the windshield, the back ones are just inside the clam shell intakes, so when the bimini is not on the boat they are not where you will catch on them getting in and out of the boat and are somewhat out of sight.

JayZ
09-08-2015, 09:45 AM
We have one. It came with the boat and use it often. It has an aluminum frame will laydown nicely when not in use and is easy to take off.

I'll try to post some pics.

I've run with it up at speeds greater than I should. ...probalby around 55 or so.

jordanmc
09-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Which waterway do you run it in? What if anything do you do for the salt water? I have the closed cooling system so I don't think I can do any flush out but I guess a good fresh water hose down of all the parts after every ride? Anything else I should do? I have only ever run in fresh water

chip w
09-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Which waterway do you run it in? What if anything do you do for the salt water? I have the closed cooling system so I don't think I can do any flush out but I guess a good fresh water hose down of all the parts after every ride? Anything else I should do? I have only ever run in fresh water

I run on Lake Carroll, a fresh water lake in Tampa, Tampa Bay and the inter-coastal waterway from the mouth of the bay up to Clearwater. Sometimes on the Gulf if the weather is good. I also put in on Lake Tarpon once in a while north of Clearwater.

If I have time after pulling it out of salt water I put it in the lake and run it around for a while and then flush it out after with Salt Away. I also hose it down with the same stuff and then spray a fogging oil on the bits and pieces that tend to corrode. It's not difficult to do but I think it's worthwhile to keep things in good shape. If nothing more it makes me feel like I'm doing something to take care of it.

There are a lot of other people on here that run in salt water and can give their opinion too.

Barry Eller
09-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Yep. SS frame. Thru-bolted hardware. Spot welded joints. Sunbrella fabric. 6" lower in front (keeps it from parachuting and flies flat). Keep fabric very tight. Hardware mounted outside the windshield does not prevent use of the cockpit cover. I have run over 70 MPH with it up. It's 12 years old and no problems.