PDA

View Full Version : dodging a bullet

tiupc
08-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Yesterday I dodged a big bullet. While running my Ski Sporter after installing a complete new Delco Electronic ignition, I was returning to base and the motor quit. I thought I ran out of gas. When I tried to restart, the motor would not turn over. Then the bendix gear quit working on the starter. I paddled to shore and pulled the boat. I put a new starter in and since I had the manifolds and through hulls off, I took out the plugs. Cylinder two has some drops of water on the plug. The water ran out of cylinder 4 and 6 and 8 had some moisture. No wonder the starter couldn't turn over the motor. Long story short, I think when the motor stopped running, the back of the boat sat down and water went up the through hulls and number 4 cylinder was open and waiting to fill up. turning the engine over with the plugs out produced a lot of water and mist from the cylinders. I dried everything out put the plugs back in and put gas in the tank. The motor turned over, fired and is running now. I thought I had broken the motor I have horse shoes up my A$$
Definately a happy ending.

Ghost
08-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Do you have internal or external flaps? ( I have both.)

mattyboy
08-26-2015, 06:15 AM
Where u on plane when it quit? Did you hear anything ? If it was running when it sucked up water you will never forget that sound
+1 on ghost

tiupc
08-26-2015, 06:27 AM
Boat was running on plane at about 45 mph I have Corsa thru hulls with internal baffles, regular tips with internal flaps and tips with no flaps. I was running the no flaps at the time. I think I might change back to the tips with flaps. Likely the motor had stopped when it sucked the water. Timing is everything I guess. I am sure if it had sucked the water when running, I would have thought the sky was falling.

Trevor

mattyboy
08-26-2015, 09:11 AM
I don't think it sucked in water running I was on board when a merc 383 sucked in water due to poorly designed exhaust at idle it sounded like a 35 lb sledge being dropped a 100 stories on to an abrahams tank a sound i will never forget I can only imagine what it would sound like and what damage would happen at speed

I bet coming off plane so quickly the back wash slammed against the transom forcing water back up the exhaust into openings in the valve train

I have both internal and external flappers and i worry my exhaust is not as high as I would like

tiupc
08-29-2015, 07:10 AM
Thanks Matty, I think you have explained it exactly as to what happened. I just consider myself lucky with water in the cylinders that I did not do any damage. Fortunate the motor quit first.

Regards
trevor