Ed Donnelly
08-25-2015, 06:55 PM
We just finished installing the electric power steering in the 16
But we can't see hoe it is possible to install the cylinder outside
Any ideas?

murfman
08-25-2015, 07:13 PM
post 168 here shows a pic

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine/316249-got-my-maggie-long-term-build-thread-intro-17.html

johnnywhale
08-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Less room on your transom than on an 18 w/o trim tabs

R Sav's 65
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/johnnywhale/DSCN4294.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/johnnywhale/media/DSCN4294.jpg.html)
And mine has more room vertically
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/johnnywhale/hydraulic%20steering/IMG_1140_zpsfb574cef.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/johnnywhale/media/hydraulic%20steering/IMG_1140_zpsfb574cef.jpg.html)

Hynautic k5 pistons - overkill

CHACHI
08-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Ed, glad to see you are moving forward.

it has been a long time.

Ken

smidgen too
08-26-2015, 12:27 PM
We just finished installing the electric power steering in the 16
But we can't see hoe it is possible to install the cylinder outside
Any ideas?

Ed this is how I did it on my X-18. Mark

gcarter
08-26-2015, 12:54 PM
If Todd sees a transom w/only one cylinder on it, he'll tell you you'll greatly regret it.
Make sure he doesn't see this picture. ;-)
The main concern of this particular 12 V pump and the use of a K-5B cylinder is the pump output is limited, and the K-5B is pretty large which translates into a lot of turns. Merc has an internal cylinder that's well suited to this pump, but it's not designed for outside.

smidgen too
08-26-2015, 02:24 PM
If Todd sees a transom w/only one cylinder on it, he'll tell you you'll greatly regret it.
Make sure he doesn't see this picture. ;-)
The main concern of this particular 12 V pump and the use of a K-5B cylinder is the pump output is limited, and the K-5B is pretty large which translates into a lot of turns. Merc has an internal cylinder that's well suited to this pump, but it's not designed for outside.

Funny you should say that, having one hydraulic cylinder is a great improvement over the ride guide rack & cable steering My X-18 came with. All through the 70's & 80's we ran real offshore 80 to 120 mile races in very ruff conditions with one cylinder Hynautic set up, & with out any problems. As I don't plan to push my X-18 past the 55mph speed this will be more than adequate. Jeff must think like me as his Arneson Minx run's with one steering cylinder, as I have been out in it with no problems..

Just Say N20
08-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Ed,

Really glad to see you are moving forward with the hydraulic steering, and considering outside mounting.

Even though the helmet nut on that outdrive is tight, there is still play inherent in that design. Putting the cylinder on the outside will eliminate all the play.

Nice.

johnnywhale
08-26-2015, 04:02 PM
I know you spent a metric ton of $$ on the electric pump, but have you considered an old fashioned gm power steering pump. That's what we are using w/o issues. Cheap to boot. Ralph added an external reservoir on his, I think I will too, just to have a little more volume available to hold extra heat.

gcarter
08-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Funny you should say that, having one hydraulic cylinder is a great improvement over the ride guide rack & cable steering My X-18 came with. All through the 70's & 80's we ran real offshore 80 to 120 mile races in very ruff conditions with one cylinder Hynautic set up, & with out any problems. As I don't plan to push my X-18 past the 55mph speed this will be more than adequate. Jeff must think like me as his Arneson Minx run's with one steering cylinder, as I have been out in it with no problems..

And I agree w/you. There's plenty of power (actually, more than enough) w/one cylinder.

Ed Donnelly
08-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Thank you all for the replies
Rob and I are looking at all the options shown.

As far as an engine driven power steering pump, Its just too much hassle relocating everything driven by the damper. Plus I have to swap out the single pulley to a two groove pulley. And the boat has a direct drive seawater pump.
The parts are bought and paid for so I am not changing anything.

Getting prices for the external hoses and transom bracket for the cylinder
Don't forget this is a 65 m.p.h. Boat, not my 16 or Criterion SS
The Criterion SS had the best steering system just ask Bill...Ed

Ralph Savarese
08-29-2015, 08:34 PM
With 2 cylinders the steering wheel stays straight with the same effort both ways 1 cylinder the wheel keeps rotating due to volume change. Mad Dad Mike knows his wheel is constantly turning. He helped me design mine absolutely the best thing I ever did to this boat. Full throttle no need to hold the wheel!

Ralph Savarese
08-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Ed based on the pictures exhaust tips could be a problem

Ed Donnelly
08-29-2015, 09:17 PM
The only reason for the power steering is I can turn left with 2 fingers
But to turn right I need both arms and 3 legs. I just don't have the strength
now that I am on oxygen full time.
I hope to get one more year of boating before I am forced to quit driving.
It will really suck being a passenger in my own boat.
I traded Bill my Criterion for his 16 to extend my boating.
We are both happy with each other's boats..Ed

woobs
08-29-2015, 11:20 PM
ED you're always welcome in my boats......... I'm sure you can drive the Greavette with ease!
(it's not so bad)

Ed Donnelly
09-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Just priced out 2 external steering cylinders , 2 mounting plates and 4 hoses.

Over $1,300 Canadian

Plus the electric pump is too small to handle 2 cylinders

So if anyone asks I have a Teleflex cable steering......Ed

johnnywhale
09-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Maybe start with this? Make an offer. The rebuild kits were cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYNAUTIC-steering-complete-with-h41-helm-/131560702676?_trksid=p2054897.l4275