PDA

View Full Version : Major damage!!!!



93stangers
08-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Well; I had finally got the classic V- drive Donzi I always wanted in April this year! I've been using it all summer without issues. A few weekends ago, we hit something in the water causing all the damage you see. There is the crack in the transom and along th strake for about 11ft. It is through and through in some spots. So here's my situation now. Insurance has totaled it out at a $18,000 value. I can buy it back for $4000. But, I have no idea what it would cost to actually fix. Not sure if I want to pay the 4k to keep it or just let it go. The current place the boat was towed to gave a rough estimate of 13-16k to fix.

There is another V-drive that I have been considering buying. However the marine survey did not go to well. On the positive side it has a 427 (my current one is a 350). Cosmetically it could you use some work. It has a two-speed powerglide trans...not sure how I feel about that. LOL. The worst part, the transom had moisture readings as high as 100% so I'm sure it needs to be replaced. Asking price is $8500, I would estimate $3000 in cosmetic and minor part replacement. So we're at 11,500. Now what would a transom replacement cost?

So any suggestions on what you would do would be appreciated!

Yes I know there are great deals out there but I'm only interested in 18ft V-drive models.

tmdog
08-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Quote, "hit something in the water causing all the damage" ?? Inquiring minds would like too know.

Quote,"Yes I know there are great deals out there but I'm only interested in 18ft V-drive models". Sounds like your mind is already decided.

93stangers
08-19-2015, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=tmdog;659215]Quote, "hit something in the water causing all the damage" ?? Inquiring minds would like too know.

Can't say for sure but most likely it was a large log. Didn't have much time to investigate, found the nearest sandy beach I could.

Moody Blu'
08-19-2015, 07:52 PM
seriously $8500?? :boggled:

93stangers
08-19-2015, 08:10 PM
seriously $8500?? :boggled:


Ya it's up there, one on eBay with a 454 in rougher condition as well sold a few months ago for $6100.

Scott Pearson
08-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Wow, that's some damage. Sorry to see this happen. If you decide to sell this boat let me know. I would be interested.

Thanks!

93stangers
08-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Wow, that's some damage. Sorry to see this happen. If you decide to sell this boat let me know. I would be interested.

Thanks!

What do you think it's worth? In order to retain the boat I have to pay the insurance comany $4,000!!! If I decide I don't want it i'd rather let someone else buy it vs the insurance company scrapping it out.

olredalert
08-20-2015, 10:15 AM
----So sorry for your loss! Did the boat go down in salt water or fresh???......Bill S

f_inscreenname
08-20-2015, 11:10 AM
They want 4 grand for a boat that will cost money while it sits in a marina waiting to be crushed (after the marina guys and others strip off what hey want). Is that what they said they would take off your 18 grand check or was that a separate offer? I bet an outsider would get a much better deal. They just want some of their money back.

gcarter
08-20-2015, 11:21 AM
What do you think it's worth? In order to retain the boat I have to pay the insurance comany $4,000!!! If I decide I don't want it i'd rather let someone else buy it vs the insurance company scrapping it out.

W/o a firm plan, I wouldn't buy it.
IMHO, for a shop to remove the deck and strip the hull to really
facilitate the work, you'd be looking at $10K.
These hulls were laid up in two stages, the outer part of the hull, the stringers added,
then the inner layup including the stringers. The strake pockets were filled w/putty
that never quite hardens. The inner part of the layup would have to be ground out,
and the pockets cleaned out to adequately repair the exterior damage
(i.e., it must be done from the inside).

93stangers
08-20-2015, 12:25 PM
They want 4 grand for a boat that will cost money while it sits in a marina waiting to be crushed (after the marina guys and others strip off what hey want). Is that what they said they would take off your 18 grand check or was that a separate offer? I bet an outsider would get a much better deal. They just want some of their money back.


They would take it off of the 18,000

93stangers
08-20-2015, 12:26 PM
W/o a firm plan, I wouldn't buy it.
IMHO, for a shop to remove the deck and strip the hull to really
facilitate the work, you'd be looking at $10K.
These hulls were laid up in two stages, the outer part of the hull, the stringers added,
then the inner layup including the stringers. The strake pockets were filled w/putty
that never quite hardens. The inner part of the layup would have to be ground out,
and the pockets cleaned out to adequately repair the exterior damage
(i.e., it must be done from the inside).


If if it's only going to be 10k to fix I'd actually be better off then I am now with what's left to pay off my loan. I was thinking 13-16k.

yeller
08-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Really sorry about your accident. That is some serious damage. :garfield:

Will the insurance company let you tow it to a couple shops for a repair estimate? I'd be really leery of buying it back, expecting a certain repair cost, unless a couple shops had laid eyes on it. I know the one shop has given you an estimate, but I'd want a 2nd and 3rd opinion. That size of repair can get real costly, real quick.

gcarter
08-20-2015, 01:31 PM
If if it's only going to be 10k to fix I'd actually be better off then I am now with what's left to pay off my loan. I was thinking 13-16k.

$10K is just a number. That would probably be a minimum if you did some of the re-rigging.

chip w
08-20-2015, 02:14 PM
$10K is just a number. That would probably be a minimum if you did some of the re-rigging.

There's also the possibility of engine damage from being submerged.

On the second one that you found for sale with moisture in the transom, plan on replacing the stringers as well as the core in the transom. once the wood core in the transom is wet it will wick into the strings. You're probably looking at close to $10,000 to replace the core and the stringers if you don't do it yourself. You might get it for a little less but there is always the unforeseen that pops up and they add to the cost of replacing the core and stringers. I just went through this with my 18 and we ended up replacing steering components, new gimbal, did the manifolds and risers since the motor was out, etc., etc., etc. By the time I was done it was right in that neighborhood.

93stangers
08-20-2015, 03:20 PM
----So sorry for your loss! Did the boat go down in salt water or fresh???......Bill S

Thanks... It went down in fresh water.

f_inscreenname
08-20-2015, 10:52 PM
Another thing to consider is if you are going to get a normal or a salvage title back and if the boat will be listed as being totaled.

mattyboy
08-21-2015, 09:00 AM
take the money and run both boats are money pits and need to much work for their asking price. Bank the money and wait til one in better shape comes up or get the asking price knocked down

murfman
08-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Is it possible to order a 18' bare hull from Donzi? re rig it with your parts and deck. Just a thought

gcarter
08-22-2015, 03:51 AM
The boat in question is a sharp keel hull, V-drive.
I'm sure there is no longer a mold for that configuration.

OFFSHORE GINGER
08-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Where is your location and just curious what are your plans concerning the boat at the moment and has the motor been pickled ?

93stangers
08-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Where is your location and just curious what are your plans concerning the boat at the moment and has the motor been pickled ?


I'm located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Yes the motor has been picked.

I'm still not sure yet. I've been waiting on some quotes for the cost to fix it. If I decide not to take it I would love if someone on here picked it up vs letting the insurance company strip it down / junk it.

OFFSHORE GINGER
08-22-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Yes the motor has been picked.

I'm still not sure yet. I've been waiting on some quotes for the cost to fix it. If I decide not to take it I would love if someone on here picked it up vs letting the insurance company strip it down / junk it. If by chance you decide not to take the boat or keep it are you going to purchase it from the Insurance Co and sell it out right or .............and if so.... are you going to be selling the boat / motor & trailer altogether as one unit or ....................

tmdog
08-22-2015, 10:09 PM
If by chance you decide not to take the boat or keep it are you going to purchase it from the Insurance Co and sell it out right or .............and if so.... are you going to be selling the boat / motor & trailer altogether as one unit or ....................

Nice azz.

93stangers
08-25-2015, 12:53 PM
If by chance you decide not to take the boat or keep it are you going to purchase it from the Insurance Co and sell it out right or .............and if so.... are you going to be selling the boat / motor & trailer altogether as one unit or ....................

If I buy it back from the insurance company I would be keeping it. Don't want to spend $4000 in hopes of getting it back by selling it. To big of a risk.

OFFSHORE GINGER
08-25-2015, 02:52 PM
If I buy it back from the insurance company I would be keeping it. Don't want to spend $4000 in hopes of getting it back by selling it. To big of a risk.
Do you think that price is rock solid considering in the past I have made counter offer's with great results and not to mention that the boat most likely will be sold to a Salvage Co who in turn will make a small fortune of the boat maybe getting the boat even cheaper then they ( insurance co ) offered it up to you but .............non the less I think this would be an interesting and fun project to have . Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

93stangers
08-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Do you think that price is rock solid considering in the past I have made counter offer's with great results and not to mention that the boat most likely will be sold to a Salvage Co who in turn will make a small fortune of the boat maybe getting the boat even cheaper then they ( insurance co ) offered it up to you but .............non the less I think this would be an interesting and fun project to have . Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm


I just oust had someone else say the same thing today about a counter offer. I'll have to try it! I see you do some major restoration work. We're do you work out of?

OFFSHORE GINGER
08-25-2015, 08:45 PM
I see you do some major restoration work. We're do you work out of? Well to make a long story short I live in Holland Mich but will be out of commission for a few months considering I just had my third Total Knee replacement on August 6 th ( wore one out ) and pretty much waiting for everything to heal but until then ....I am kind of thinking a - head of the envelope if you know what I mean or should I say seeing that you are not that far away and having second thoughts on maybe restoring the boat ( cost or what ever ) I might be interested in this project for myself or otherwise , and if you like shoot me an E-Mail with your questions and concerns .

93stangers
09-11-2015, 08:19 PM
So I decided to keep her. I just couldn't let a salvage yard tear her apart. I found a shop that has restored two 18's already and they looked amazing! They only use gelcoat to which is a big plus. I'm going to go back to the original blue color. The transom is actually in good shape, two stringers were bad. $14,500 total and I'll be back on the water in April. I'll have about $5,000 left over from the insurance to put towards a new motor, now I gotta decide which one!

OFFSHORE GINGER
09-12-2015, 11:46 AM
That is great !!!! :yes:

Ghost
09-12-2015, 12:04 PM
So I decided to keep her. I just couldn't let a salvage yard tear her apart. I found a shop that has restored two 18's already and they looked amazing! They only use gelcoat to which is a big plus. I'm going to go back to the original blue color. The transom is actually in good shape, two stringers were bad. $14,500 total and I'll be back on the water in April. I'll have about $5,000 left over from the insurance to put towards a new motor, now I gotta decide which one!

Pulling for you.

(Firm fixed price contract?)

93stangers
09-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Pulling for you.

(Firm fixed price contract?)


Yes price is firm. He even pulled the deck off just to do as thorough quote as possible.

chip w
09-14-2015, 04:11 PM
Good luck! Glad to hear that you are keeping another old Donzi on the water!!! :beer: