PDA

View Full Version : 1986 22 classic with sbc, what ring gear??

Moody Blu'
08-17-2015, 10:34 AM
1986 22 classic with sbc, what ring gear?? how many teeth, need to order one! The ring gear isnt doing too well and I need to figure out what size ring gear I tried to search... Help me out so I can feel confident on the water

smokediver
08-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I think you need to measure the flywheel diameter. I believe there are 2 different sizes.

Moody Blu'
08-17-2015, 01:19 PM
got the part # from phil FRG168s 168 tooth now the FUN PART ehhh. Im more then likely gonna replace the gimbal bearing and u joints and possibly install new rod bearings if we pull the engine completely out

as they say, just when I think im out, they pull me back in.

gcarter
08-17-2015, 02:07 PM
The gears are incredibly easy to change. You can knock one off w/a medium size ball peen hammer and a pin.
To put the new one on, put the flywheel in the freezer, and the ring gear in the oven. The gear doesn't have to get to 400* or anything like that, and the flywheel doesn't need to fall to 0*.
If you lay the flywheel on the kitchen floor, maybe on a piece of plywood, then drop the gear onto the flywheel and maybe knock it into place w/the pin and hammer just to be sure.
Considering the cost of the gear, this has to be one of the most important "just to be sure" repairs to make if the engine is out.

Moody Blu'
08-17-2015, 07:12 PM
the starter doesnt seem to be engaging all the teeth on the flywheel and im wondering if i can possibly get the starter gear to extend(deeper into the housing) a bit further so it grabs the teeth that have not been chewed up.

im gonna check this option out at the starter place i know. if i can do this at least i can get some boating in and if need be I will bring a breaker bar with a socket to turn the engine past the chipped gear in case it happens again so im not stuck in the water