PDA

View Full Version : A day on the new boat

mattyboy
08-10-2015, 01:15 PM
had the chance to get out on the new research vessel at the Maritime aquarium at norwalk ct. the new boat is a hybrid electric powered catamaran the first of it's kind. My daughter Jamie teaches an educational class there and also does the learning cruise for the public to teach about the sound and how to help preserve the unique estuary. I got a private tour of the pilot house and it is truly an amazing boat with some high tech features including ROVs. Spoke to both Capt's and they said it did take some time getting use to it as it is very quiet and the gen motors come on when levels on the batteries hit a threshold. was a great day except for having to wave off a few boats that don't know what daymarkers are

some background on the new boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQayMZ7I6Y

Lenny
08-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Very cool Matty !

It is nice to see the efforts of technical evolution show up in the boating world. Enough of electric cars and duel fuel, hybrids.

Spend some R & D on boating : )

Thanx for the post :)

jl1962
08-10-2015, 04:54 PM
+1
Very cool.

Up at LG now but will check it out when we get back.

Also- my 16 year old has been volunteering at the aquarium. At 100 hours she can dive in the shark tank - yikes

Nice place.

mattyboy
08-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Yes it is very cool the the only 2 things I recognized were the wheel and the throttles everything else was on two tablets no gauges or switches
Well worth it a fun way to spend a few hrs. And the aquarium is great too

Jay what dept is your daughter in ?

jl1962
08-11-2015, 08:32 PM
She's just a generic high school volunteer. She's usually at the rays tank, the touch tank, the jellies or the seals. She's generally there one or two 4 hour shifts/month - usually a weekend or holiday.

We've been going there since she was 1 and this has been a good opportunity for her.

I'll be in touch after the summer and will try to swing by when Jamie is there.