PDA

View Full Version : Woody Donzi (Not Mine)

Rob M
07-06-2015, 04:23 PM
This looks cool. Not sure it was ever posted before. V-drive too.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1969-Donzi-Custom-Sweet-16-656307

justleft
07-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Looks great.

Anyone know the build ?

penbroke
07-06-2015, 08:15 PM
As I recall it was built by board member "rustnrot" and there was an extensive thread here but I can't find it just now...

Frank

woobs
07-06-2015, 10:46 PM
I'm currently in the midst of a similar type (but different) woody/Donzi 16 build.

Greg Guimond
07-07-2015, 07:05 AM
It was actually built by rustnrots friend, Mike Yobe I believe. I'm very surprised to see it for sale as there was not one thing left out on the build. woobs, just buy it and put an end to waiting pain and wallet suffering. No one (even Mr. Carter) could come close to re-creating this thing for $28k. Also of note is Mike is really tall so he lowered the floor mount plate so that there is no wind at cruise. I did 100 miles in my 16 Sunday, no wind noise would have been an interesting change of pace!

woobs
07-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Greg, I actually enjoy the "process" (cheap therapy). I have a boat to drive so no harm there either. Also, as much as I think this is a cool woody-Donzi it is different from my idea of how it should be. Plus, I think I can do it for much, much less than the ask.

Didn't Runstnrot have a Formula Jr. project on the go?

Greg Guimond
07-10-2015, 09:20 AM
I think he finished the Jr years ago. Did you pull your 16 out and weigh it yet?

woobs
07-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, she still sits forlorn in storage. I have been collecting parts however, my woody needed some attention this spring. I will get you your weights :)

Greg Guimond
07-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Here is the advert for the 16 Woody for the archives........

The buyers for this would be very limited. The pure 16 Ski Sporter buyer does not want it as you can buy any number of mint (and faster) 16s for $10k. The pure woody buyer may not want it as it was never actually produced as a woody from the Donzi factory. I'm not sure how a V-drive is looked at to be honest as I have never even driven one. Do they handle well? Salt water boaters won't want it as it is just toooooo damn perfect to expose to salt and that's coming from me, I run all my stuff in salt.

The more I look, the details on this build are cool as hell. What an amazing boat for that needle in a haystack buyer :yes:

woobs
07-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Greg, I agree. For that money a "Donzi" guy can get a lot more boat, or a nice 16 with plenty still in his pocket. Plus, I think most enthusiasts like a more "original" Donzi.

The woody guys are closer to the target audience for a number of reasons. They have begun the acceptance of "Tupperware" hulls and this boat is pretty. It relieves the worry of a big $ wood hull restoration. It is also a manageable size to trailer around to the various events and shows for which this boat will be ideally suited. The Woody people also seem to like the V-drives (actually maybe, it's just a dislike of sterndrives) and having a clean transom just like they are used to with a Chris Craft 22 sportsman, for example. Lastly, many woody boaters seem to be quite affluent with multiple collector boats in the high dollar range.... they are not immune from buying anything wood related or different/interesting on a whim with a lame excuse to the Mrs. or just because they can.

The down side at this point in time is; because it's not an original, it will not do well in any ACBS shows. That could change if "resto-mod" or "peoples choice" classes are adopted.

Having said all that.... As a woody boater and a Donzi enthusiast, This particular boat is not my "cup of tea". But, I bet it IS someone else's.

Greg Guimond
11-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Wonder if it ever sold.

bertsboat
11-23-2015, 11:52 AM
16 diesel

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-DONZI-CLASSIC-16-675896

Greg Guimond
11-25-2015, 09:48 PM
The Sweet 16 oil burner is actually down to $12,000. Smoke 'em if you got 'em :)

bertsboat
11-26-2015, 10:17 AM
There re was one of these on the side of the road 7 or 8 years ago. How many did they make?

The Sweet 16 oil burner is actually down to $12,000. Smoke 'em if you got 'em :)

Greg Guimond
11-26-2015, 10:35 AM
They made just one 16 I believe and here is a post from 2001 on the exact same boat that is now for sale by you for $12,000. Mastry Marine down by you built it with Donzi for the 1999 Miami Boat Show. You need to go buy it. It looks timeless and has the two buckets, athough I'd probably lower those.

You're in your friend's new tender, a Donzi Classic 16, running toward shore from his anchored yacht at a comfortable 33 mph, when he casually mentions that the boat is out of gasoline. Before you have time to panic, he explains that that's because this boat doesn't run on gasoline. She's diesel-powered, which, he points out, means he doesn't have to carry gasoline onboard his yacht; he can fuel the Classic 16 right from his yacht's main diesel tanks.
This boat is real, and so is her performance. In fact, she cruises at 33 mph and tops out well over 40 mph. She's proof that it's possible to get exciting performance in a sportboat without resorting to a gasoline engine. For in her engine compartment, where you'd normally find a five-liter V-8 taking up most of the space, there's a two-liter Yanmar four-cylinder diesel so narrow it looks lost. Two people could sit here, one on each side of the engine, and play cards on the valve cover. Obviously, service access is superb.

There are other striking differences, not the least of which is weight. Of course, everyone knows diesel boats are heavier that gasoline-powered ones, right? Not here. In fact, at 2,580 pounds, the Yanmar-powered version is 259 pounds lighter than its gasoline cousin. The V-8 weighs 938 pounds, compared to the Yanmar's 679 pounds, both with MerCruiser Alpha One stern drives. That translates into 4.26 pounds/hp for the gasoline engine versus 5.43 pounds/hp for the diesel. The V-8 produces 220 hp or 44 hp/liter; the diesel, 125 hp or 62.5 hp/liter, thanks to turbocharging and aftercooling.

Despite its modest size, however, the Yanmar isn't completely superior. A deficit of 95 hp takes a toll on performance. The V-8's top speed is 58.5 mph at 3950 rpm. However, fuel consumption favors the diesel. The V-8 burns 21.8 gph at WOT, delivering 2.7 mpg, while the diesel uses just 6.3 gph at WOT, generating 6.98 mpg. theoretically such outstanding fuel economy means the boat would have to carry less fuel-and therefore less weight- to achieve the same range, which might help narrow the difference in top speed. More important, at a typical cruising speed of 33 mph, the V-8, turning 3000 rpm, burns 9.9 gph and gets 3.4 mpg, while the Yanmar turns 3200 rpm, burns 3.2 gph, and generates 10.3 mpg. Put another way, the diesel Donzi can run at 33 mph for almost nine hours (294 miles) while the gasoline boat could manage only 2.9 hours and 96 miles. Since the diesel Donzi would make an ideal yacht tender, such range might be particularly useful if the yacht were in difficulty.

Among other benefits of the diesel-powered version, its reduced weight makes it less sensitive to outdrive trim and its sound level is lower, in large part due to the intake silencing provided by the turbocharger. The diesel Donzi is also somewhat quicker out of the hole due to the Yanmar's prodigious low-end torque. Against this is the increased cost of going diesel - a bit under $7,000 more than the V-8. Clearly, the cheaper cost of diesel and the Yanmar's superior fuel efficiency and resale could go a long way toward ameliorating that difference.

In the end, the choice of gasoline versus diesel power in a tender probably comes down as much to a particular owner's preference as practicality. But for a lot of yacht owners, the response to the pronouncement “out of gas” just might be, "Who cares?"

Donzi Marine (941) 727-0622. Fax 941) 756-5638.
Yanmar (847) 541-1900. Fax 847) 808-6968.
Chuck Husk is a former president of Chris-Craft. He holds a master's license.
DONZI CLASSIC 16 Specifications:

LOA: 16'6"
Beam: 6'11"
Draft: 1'0" (drive up); 1'11" (drive down)
Deadrise: 24 degrees
Fuel capacity: 30 gal.
Weight w/diesel (on certified scale): 2,580 lbs. w/ full fuel and gear
Engine: Yanmar 4JH3-DTE
Displacement: 121.7 cu in. (1995 cc)
Continuous output: 116hp (85.3 kW)
Maximum output: 125 hp (91.9 kW)
Specific fuel consumption: 6.34 gph @ 3700 rpm
Torque peak: 191.7 foot-pounds @ 3300 rpm

Rob M
11-26-2015, 12:29 PM
They made just one 16 I believe and here is a post from 2001 on the exact same boat that is now for sale by you for $12,000. Mastry Marine down by you built it with Donzi for the 1999 Miami Boat Show. You need to go buy it. It looks timeless and has the two buckets, athough I'd probably lower those.

Cool boat. Ad is a little unclear, I wonder if they mean they made 3 16s or 3 different models?

Greg Guimond
11-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Rob, I believe it was three different boats as Mastry also built (with Donzi) a 22 Classic with a 6 cylinder oil burner back then. I'm not sure what the third boat they refer to is. I wonder if there is a Yanmar 18 out there somewhere.

Ghost
11-27-2015, 02:47 PM
18 with a 220 HP Volvo Penta D3 would be an interesting setup. Lighter than a 4.3 V6, 220 horse diesel, probably torque like a V8, duo prop...probably very similar in economy to the little Yanmar but with a lot more top end.

Greg Guimond
11-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Hopefully Bert bought the 16 and will give some real performance numbers