PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts 22C or Scarab 22 sport?

txtaz
06-25-2015, 12:41 PM
I have always loved Donzi's and started down the path of getting a 22c. I have a puppy now and she goes everywhere with me.

So I'm wondering if a pristine 22c would be good for a dog, or the dog would be good for a 22c.

There is a 98 Scarrab 22 sport close by and has higher gunnels which I think would be safer. It's less expensive for when she decides to eat it. Yes, she has eaten the new house. (Just the window sills, but three times)

Does anyone have hints, tips or pointers for boating with a dog?

Thanks.

Morgan's Cloud
06-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Oh , what we won't do for our pets , eh ?

Unfortunately , I don't believe that a performance boat of any sort regardless of freeboard is a good platform to take our furry friends out on .

The folks I know of that can pull it off with no worries or effort all seem to have older boats with minimal or zero upholstery and cushions in the c0ckpit , an area that is shady when at rest or anchor and easy ingress / egress for coming back aboard after a swim or going ashore for a 'nature call' .
Easy to clean up surfaces are a plus too 'cause you know there will always be hair everywhere afterwards.

I think I'd also be really concerned about the natural urge to want to go fast in a sport boat and having to me mindful of doggie and their safety at the same time.

Has anyone else noticed recently how many folks are taking their dogs with them out on paddle boards ? It doesn't get much simpler than that and the dogs love the ride and being with papa or momma at the same time .

yeller
06-25-2015, 03:36 PM
Not a huge fan of the 22 Scarab.....but the 23 SCS is one of my all time favourites.

Check this one out. It sounds like a lot of boat for money. I've been watching it for a long time and have seriously contemplated a purchase.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/boa/5057993805.html

txtaz
06-25-2015, 04:25 PM
Not a huge fan of the 22 Scarab.....but the 23 SCS is one of my all time favourites.

Check this one out. It sounds like a lot of boat for money. I've been watching it for a long time and have seriously contemplated a purchase.

Yeller,

That is a nice boat.

What did you use for your Craiglist search?

Here's another one (http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/5067111348.html) in the same area.

Ed Donnelly
06-25-2015, 05:56 PM
A big beach towel for the upholstery and bitter Apple spray for anything chewable in the house or boat.
When my Whippet isn't eating hundreds of dollars worth of my wife's makeup,
She just loves wood like doors ,windowsills , quarter round

Thanks Breezers:mad:

gcarter
06-25-2015, 06:20 PM
There's a certain red 22C that has a large carpeted platform under the foredeck, and easy to access.

Ghost
06-25-2015, 06:41 PM
And with a 22C, IF someone chews the upholstery, it's snap-in/out.

roadtrip se
06-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Already said, but a dog in a performance boat is a recipe for disaster. Get a Formula or a Cobalt, if you want to take everybody with you. Nothing wrong with it, I have a Formula SS and love it.

Night and day difference in construction quality between the Scarab and the Donzi. Not even a fair comparison, hence the price difference.

Good catching up with you last night. Now go get a real boat... Good luck.

duckhunter
06-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Every fall & winter there are a million Labs running around in a million low-freeboard duck boats. That's about the only way I'd have a dog in a boat, but lots of folks do it in the summer too. There's even a beautiful white/green 502 powered 22C that shows up at the swimming hole with a Great Dane named Daisy onboard. She seems to enjoy it thoroughly.

West Marine and other vendors have a ton of options for doggie life jackets. Some sort of tether would probably be good too, especially for a puppy.

Greg Guimond
06-25-2015, 10:04 PM

That SCS has been for sale for exactly 2 years this month. The seller's original price was $39,500. Now, two years later he is asking $25,000. That type of hull doesn't have a big following amongst the Havasu crowd and a lot of people won't travel to buy a boat which I never understood. I'm sure if you arrived at his door with a hitch and $20k cash you would be driving home with a 85mph 23 SCS in the rear view mirror. Is it really a Kevlar layup? That I don't know for sure.

yeller
06-26-2015, 01:09 AM
Yeller,

That is a nice boat.

What did you use for your Craiglist search?

Here's another one (http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/5067111348.html) in the same area.I already knew that boat was in the Havasu area, so I just searched "SCS" in the Las Vegas listings. I saw that other boat too. The one in Havasu seems like a better deal though.

That SCS has been for sale for exactly 2 years this month. The seller's original price was $39,500. Now, two years later he is asking $25,000. That type of hull doesn't have a big following amongst the Havasu crowd and a lot of people won't travel to buy a boat which I never understood. I'm sure if you arrived at his door with a hitch and $20k cash you would be driving home with a 85mph 23 SCS in the rear view mirror. Is it really a Kevlar layup? That I don't know for sure.You were the one that brought the boat to my attention, and I've been following it ever since. I really, really, really, want to buy it...but I'd have to sell the yellow beast and I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

As far as I know, kevlar is the only way they made them. No wood in the boat anywhere. The only problem with SCS was that the gel almost always cracked by the built in vents at the back seat. It was only cosmetic and I'm sure this seller has fixed that issue.

Fogducker had one and loved it. No porpoise and very stable. His dog loved it too.

I believe they can be a tough sell because they made so few of them and many people don't even know they exist. I always felt they were way ahead of their time in regards to styling. The dash actually has some style to it. It's only in the last few years that boats worth $300k plus have started to add some styling to their dashes.

Greg Guimond
06-26-2015, 07:37 AM
I did not know that about the Kevlar layup yeller. How many 23 Super Comps do you think made in total? Less than a dozen?

txtaz
06-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Night and day difference in construction quality between the Scarab and the Donzi. Not even a fair comparison, hence the price difference.

Good catching up with you last night. Now go get a real boat... Good luck.

A 750 HP SCS for 20-25k is hard to pass up.

It was nice catching up with you as well and I KNOW you're looking for a new home for the duckies. :lookaroun::):bonk::nilly:

Can you keep up with a 90 mph boat?:boat:

yeller
06-26-2015, 03:12 PM
I did not know that about the Kevlar layup yeller. How many 23 Super Comps do you think made in total? Less than a dozen?
I don't actually know. I did years ago when they came out but I can't remember now. They only came in Orange or White and the 454 or 502. 2 Orange ones were used in the movie Face Off. I do know that much.
I think a dozen made would be very close

txtaz
06-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Now go get a real boat... Good luck.

Done!!!:shocking::):yes::eek::biggrin.::biggrin.:: biggrin.::biggrin.:

yeller
06-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Awesome! :thumbsup:

I know it's not the SCS.

So how long until you can do the reveal?

roadtrip se
06-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Done!!!:shocking::):yes::eek::biggrin.::biggrin.:: biggrin.::biggrin.:

Good call!

txtaz
06-26-2015, 08:56 PM
A Taz soooo close, yet so far only to come home duck-less.
Hmm, I'm not home yet....To be continued...

Barry Eller
06-28-2015, 09:59 AM
A big beach towel for the upholstery and bitter Apple spray for anything chewable in the house or boat.
When my Whippet isn't eating hundreds of dollars worth of my wife's makeup,
She just loves wood like doors ,windowsills , quarter round

Thanks Breezers:mad:
Now Ed, that precious little girl Whippet is just showing her love! LOL, I warned you Whippet puppies are chewers!

Ed Donnelly
06-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Just had all her teeth pulled. No more chewing L.O.L. .Ed