PDA

View Full Version : Capitalism vs Opportunism

woobs
06-23-2015, 10:31 AM
A little while ago a guy I know scooped a "for sale" item out from under another friend. Both of these guys are enthusiasts. However, the successful purchaser only bought the item as he recognized it as value. He scurried to be first to complete the transaction looking only to re-sell at a profit. The unsuccessful potential purchaser really needed/wanted the item for a current project but, was just too slow.

This got me to thinking about our hobby and the attitudes and ethics within. Up front I can tell you that my personal dealings with those in this community have been stellar! I have dealt with many other like-minded enthusiasts that all just want to share the enjoyment of the hobby with others. Many have gone out of their way at their own cost of time or money to help others (looking at potential boat purchases in their area, delivering parts , offering un needed parts at /near their cost or even undervalued, helping with wiring another members boat, sharing information, etc...) . I believe this is what our community is all about... helping others because you can (it doesn't have to cost you money). You make friends, you drink beer, you share... it's all good.

But, back to the situation... is profit a bad thing? Is it a cultural thing? I'm not American but, I'm told for some Americans, capitalism is a sacred right to be pursued in all endeavours. ( "It's what built our country and makes it great"). Is it wrong to make a profit in a recreational activity at the expense of your peers or, is it okay? For me, it just doesn't sit right.

Now, if your hobby is also your primary business, none of this applies and we need you to keep a healthy profitable business to keep industry/hobby healthy too.

So, what's the feeling here?
Am I wrong about all this? (maybe this should be a "winter discussion" :) ).

BTW; The unaltered "scooped" item was listed for almost 3x what it was purchased for... Does this say anything about the current seller?

TBroccoli
06-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Do your friends know each other? Did the successful purchaser know the other needed the part?

If the answer to both questions is no, then no harm no foul.

If the purchaser knew the other friend needed the part, I have a problem with it.

woobs
06-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Do your friends know each other? Did the successful purchaser know the other needed the part?

If the answer to both questions is no, then no harm no foul.

If the purchaser knew the other friend needed the part, I have a problem with it.
Yes, they know each other but, are not friends.... barely acquaintances.
Yes the successful purchaser knew he was 2nd in, and had to rush to get the deal done.
Yes, he knew someone else wanted it.

But, those are just the details... the question is: Is it right, as a recreational enthusiast (read: a community member) to flip items to your peers for no other reason than personal profit?

roadtrip se
06-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Nothing wrong with profit. I have spent a life time pursuing it.

Screwing over a fellow enthusiast is just an a**hole maneuver, if the first guy had a agreed upon and hand shake deal. If they didn't, then game on. If the seller backed out on the first buyer, after they had a handshake deal, then he is a bigger a**hole than the second buyer.

Either way, the pursuit of profit has nothing to do with integrity and ethics, which is the real issue here from my view, based on the limited facts as presented.

Ghost
06-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Agreed. Beyond that, I'd say that I suspect nationality is totally de-coupled from any trends on deal ethics or notions about hobby buying/selling.

I can totally imagine someone citing his nationality to justify his approach, but I think as in so many things, we are all individuals with our own approaches, for which we as individuals are solely responsible.

Looking back, I think the only guy I recall reporting here (for breaking his word on a deal and chiseling very weasel-ly) was Canadian. I consider it strictly a reflection of the man and not part of any larger trend. I suppose there may be some cultural trends (we all have heard stereotypes of cultures where spirited bargaining is the norm) in some places, but I doubt there is much nationality-influence on this continent regarding situations like the one at the start of the thread.

woobs
06-23-2015, 08:39 PM
I agree with you Ghost nationality shouldn't be a factor but, cultures are different no matter how similar they may appear. I was told by an American this was a part of US culture. I have not experienced this but, I'm not American so, I could not refute it. That's why, I just threw it out there to see if I was truly missing something.

TBroccoli
06-24-2015, 12:05 PM
I don't understand the thought of nationality playing a role. Maybe I'm naive. Being a human being should be enough to determine if this was a dick move or not. It's kinda like dating someone's ex-wife. If you don't know the guy, so what. If you know the guy, you're a dick.