PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water supply

smokediver
06-21-2015, 09:37 AM
After running over a bag and burning up flappers hose etc I have been thinking about installing a transom pick up with a one way valve and plumbing it into my sea strainer along with the drive supply. Having a closed cooling system , I would imagine excess pressure wouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts ?

gcarter
06-21-2015, 12:13 PM
IMHO, it's the only way to go.
You'll need this block off plate to replace the inside hose fitting: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=880951%2000&ivar=images/COMMON/5068.png&inbr=5398&bnbr=220&bdesc=GIMBAL+HOUSING+COVER

I like this pickup from Stainless Marine.....It's well mounted and very strong: http://www.stainlessmarine.com/product-category/water-pick-ups-water-pick-ups/
On page 2 of this section is a 1" size pickup. Part #05-8888803-00

I've installed several of these and have been very happy w/them.
Don't forget to remove the hose between the drive upper and the gimbal housing.
Also, it's best mounted inside the stringers.

smokediver
06-21-2015, 04:03 PM
George , I was thinking about keeping the drive supply and adding the pickup as well .. My sea strainer has dual inlets.

gcarter
06-21-2015, 04:49 PM
One thing no one talks about even though accidents do happen, is the fact the plastic hose connectors do occasionally fail and sink boats, also inlet hoses fail, Jim Collins had to beach his boat once in Sarasota.
The nature of the transom pickup allows you to add a hard plumbed ball valve to ensure your boat won't sink.
I've always believed the hose through the gimbal design is only the easiest, least expensive way to supply water and minimise connections boat builders have to make. But, IMHO, not the best solution.

MOP
06-25-2015, 02:12 PM
Dual feeds may very well up the pressure, as far a water pressure anything that is in the sea water circuit can fail. Every hose in my sea circuit was wire wound, excess pressure is always an issue with the speeds most run at. Best solution pressure relief valve, IMO any boat running over 60 should not be without. Darn cheap insurance against pushing a rope or worse.

MOP