PDA

View Full Version : V drive disassembly questions

Cracker box
06-11-2015, 04:58 AM
I am going to pick up a Donzi 18 v-drive soon ( very excited).
I only got a trailer equiped with rollers now so i will need to disable at least the rudder, and the propeller shaft.
There is no engine in the boat so i will probably be able to set it enough backward on the trailer not to be annoyed by the propeller shaft bracket, i think.

Boat is far from home and i don't want to spend days there so i'm preparing everything.
I've no experience yet in v-drives or direct-drives

The rudder
I think there are bolts which hold a circulaire plate on the top of the rudder female housing. Once removed, i will have access to a single main bolt that couple a "tiller" from the steering mechanism to the rudder axle.
When this main bolt is removed, is the rudder ready to be come down to the ground ?

The propeller shaft
Is the shaft coupled with a sleeve type coupling or a flange type ?
Once the coupling removed and the stuffing box loosen, is the shaft ready to be slid down trough the stuffing box housing and the shaft bracket ?
Is it better to keep propeller on the shaft to have more pulling force ? Is it posssible by hand or with a hammer from this inside ?
Is it the way to remove the shaft ?

Sorry for those questions that might be evident but not so easy when you don't have the parts in front of you and you never did it before.

Thanks for reading my "Belgian" english.

Cracker box
06-11-2015, 04:59 AM
Oops ? What happened to the text ?

Cracker box
06-11-2015, 05:11 AM
I am going to pick up a 18 v-drive soon
I only got a trailer equiped with rollers now so i will need to disable at least the rudder, and the propeller shaft.
There is no engine in the boat so i will be able to set it enough backward on the trailer not to be annoyed by the propeller shaft bracket i think.

Boat is far from home and i don't want to spend days there so i'm preparing everything.
I've no experience yet in inboard v-drives.

The rudder:
I think there are bolts which hold a circulaire plate on the top of the rudder female housing. once removed, i will have access to a single main bolt that couple a tiller from the steering mechanism to the rudder axle.
When this main bolt is removed, is the rudder ready to slide down to the ground ?

The propeller shaft.
Once the coupling removed and the stuffing box loosen, is the shaft ready to be slid down trough the hull and the shaft bracket ?
it is better to keep propeller on the shaft to have more pulling force by hand ? Or do i need to hammer it by the inside of the hull?
Is it the way to remove a shaft ?

Sorry for those questions that might be evident but not so easy when you don't have the parts in front of you.

I hope it will do now.

Scott Pearson
06-11-2015, 10:57 AM
I am going to pick up a 18 v-drive soon
There is no engine in the boat so i will be able to set it enough backward on the trailer not to be annoyed by the propeller shaft bracket i think.

I've no experience yet in inboard v-drives.

The rudder:
I think there are bolts which hold a circulaire plate on the top of the rudder female housing. once removed, i will have access to a single main bolt that couple a tiller from the steering mechanism to the rudder axle.
When this main bolt is removed, is the rudder ready to slide down to the ground ?

The propeller shaft.
Once the coupling removed and the stuffing box loosen, is the shaft ready to be slid down trough the hull and the shaft bracket ?
it is better to keep propeller on the shaft to have more pulling force by hand ? Or do i need to hammer it by the inside of the hull?

Sorry for those questions that might be evident but not so easy when you don't have the parts in front of you.

I hope it will do now.

As long as the rudder moves freely and is not bent it will drop out of the housing once the tiller arm is removed.

The shaft will have a sleeve type coupling. It should have allen bolts or 3/8 bolts. Depending on how old its been together it might be a bitch to come apart. I had to cut the shaft on my Hornet to remove it from the boat. The coupling was froze solid.

f_inscreenname
06-11-2015, 10:57 AM
The rudder:

My top cover is held on with slot screws. Should be a bolt in the top with the plate like you said but keep an eye out for a pin that would prevent the rudder from falling out if the nut came loose. Not sure if ours has it but one of mine does. As for it being ready to fall to the ground, if you are lucky and it's been greased up well over the years.

The propeller shaft.
1, Is the shaft coupled with a sleeve type coupling or a flange type ?
2, Once the coupling removed and the stuffing box loosen, is the shaft ready to be slid down trough the hull and the shaft bracket ?
3, it is better to keep propeller on the shaft to have more pulling force by hand ? 4, Or do i need to hammer it by the inside of the hull?

1 Not sure what flange it has.
2 Yes.
3 Was for one or two I have done. Other the prop is in the way, hits the ground or other things. If you want it off get yourself a prop puller cause if its been on for a while you can beat the crap out of it and it wont move. Don't use a hammer on anything. Maybe a block of wood but never metal to metal.

Cracker box
06-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Thank you for the replies.
This is really helpful : I know what to expect.

(You perhaps recognised that the picture of the rusted stuffing box I posted is from The Ultimate...)