PDA

View Full Version : Drive shower pickup location

yeller
05-31-2015, 11:22 PM
I want to install my drive shower on my BlackHawk drive, but the issue is the pickup location. I have seen where some people have installed the pickup in the cavitation plate (as you would with a Bravo), but with the BH, the plate is not in the water when on plane, so I don't see how it would work properly.

I have decided to make a bracket to mount the pick up to the transom, and just enough below the bottom to grab water. I've never seen anyone do it this way, but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't.

Anybody have a reason why I shouldn't??

gcarter
06-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Seems like a sound idea.

MOP
06-02-2015, 06:50 AM
Mounted on the right side of the cav plate just a tad aft of the rear prop it gets plenty of water feed by the prop. Another very positive way to feed that was done by another BH owner here on the board, was to tap into the sea water feed hose after the pump. He posted good pics that would be worth digging up, that method guarantees exceptional flow at all speeds. He knew you have way more water then the engine can use, I believe he also had a pressure relief valve. A relief valve is something to be looked into, if you look back through Griz's old posts his WP gauge showed over 80 psi at speed like I said way more than they engine can use.

MOP
06-02-2015, 06:37 PM
A few internally fed showers.

POST# 15 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?52376-Drive-Shower&highlight=drive+shower

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28649&d=1177959674

POST #5 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?38589-Just-How-Good-Are-Drive-Showers&highlight=dri

Doing it internally also eliminates the drag that so many argue about, i will also never ever plug up!

yeller
06-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Mounted on the right side of the cav plate just a tad aft of the rear prop it gets plenty of water feed by the prop. Another very positive way to feed that was done by another BH owner here on the board, was to tap into the sea water feed hose after the pump. He posted good pics that would be worth digging up, that method guarantees exceptional flow at all speeds. He knew you have way more water then the engine can use, I believe he also had a pressure relief valve. A relief valve is something to be looked into, if you look back through Griz's old posts his WP gauge showed over 80 psi at speed like I said way more than they engine can use.
Thanks MOP. I know others have mounted on the cavitation plate, but I still have my doubts about the prop providing enough water. It may very well work, but I'd really like to see video proof.
I have thought of plumbing it after the seawater pump, but I already have my S/C intercooler plumbed in that line and I have a concern that a second line might end up taking too much water out of the system for the heat exchanger to work properly. Don't know if that's a valid concern or not.

I have no doubt Griz saw 80psi on his pressure gauge. I peg my gauge at speed, so I know it's way up there. The gauge is usually plumbed before the pump, so I don't think the higher pressure would mean more water after the pump. The impeller will block the excess water (and cause the high pressure), but the pump is only going to draw what it can draw, regardless of the pressure.....unless of course it gets so high it blows past the impeller, but I'd expect the hose to let go first.

Plumbing my pickup before the pump might be a good option though. There will be enough water to draw from and it can help to relieve some of the excess pressure. It'll also eliminate the drag and never plug, as you mentioned