PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Umbrella mount?

Pismo
05-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Love this idea. So how did you guys mount these? Hole saw thru the cooler cover?

gold-n-rod
05-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Love this idea. So how did you guys mount these? Hole saw thru the cooler cover?

That is Tony Sporer's boat on the sand bar at Torch Lake.

Not sure how often he frequents here anymore. Try: sporert@gmail.com

Ghost
05-28-2015, 03:59 PM
If it were my boat, I'd more likely go this route: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylor-made--anchor-shade-iii-with-pole-and-bag-white--P014364129

Instead of cutting into the cooler, which I seem to recall Tony had done, it would only require attachment points for the straps. Which might even work with just the cleats, depending on their layout. And the shade and stability with a breeze would both be better.

RedDog
05-28-2015, 05:59 PM
If it were my boat, I'd more likely go this route: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylor-made--anchor-shade-iii-with-pole-and-bag-white--P014364129

Instead of cutting into the cooler, which I seem to recall Tony had done, it would only require attachment points for the straps. Which might even work with just the cleats, depending on their layout. And the shade and stability with a breeze would both be better.

I use the AnchorShade occasionally. It works well.

chip w
05-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Likewise, I used an anchor shade in the past. It used a suction cup base and straps to the cleats. Living in FL we had a custom bimini made with quick release for when I don't want it on.

Morgan's Cloud
05-29-2015, 01:55 PM
My issue with the Anchorshade is 3 fold .

Unless you mark the straps and orient it after its initial setup for the location it seems to take forever to setup the next time.

The centre pole is a major pita 'cause where it ends up is never convenient in terms of moving around under it.

It really ought to have about 35% more shade area .

Otherwise , it was a great idea and a whole lot cheaper than a custom made bimini.

joseph m. hahnl
05-31-2015, 06:34 PM
I just got one of these instead of drilling holes in the floor and cooler. just fill it with water when in use, dump it out and store it in the ski locker.:kingme:

chip w
06-01-2015, 08:37 AM
My issue with the Anchorshade is 3 fold .

Unless you mark the straps and orient it after its initial setup for the location it seems to take forever to setup the next time.

The centre pole is a major pita 'cause where it ends up is never convenient in terms of moving around under it.

It really ought to have about 35% more shade area .

Otherwise , it was a great idea and a whole lot cheaper than a custom made bimini.

I completely agree with you. And that is why I had a custom made bimini that I can quickly and easily take off. We still use the Anchorshade. When we get to the beach we stick it in the sand and put a couple of beach chairs under it.

Ghost
06-01-2015, 10:19 AM
I completely agree with you. And that is why I had a custom made bimini that I can quickly and easily take off. We still use the Anchorshade. When we get to the beach we stick it in the sand and put a couple of beach chairs under it.

Agreed, if choosing between umbrella and anchor shade, anchor shade makes more sense to me. I'd probably do neither for myself--my boat has a custom quick-release removable sun-top as well.

TBroccoli
06-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Has anyone tried a rod holder mounted to the passenger grab rail. You can put any beach umbrella into the holder and it is not in the way.

VetteLT193
06-01-2015, 01:47 PM
I got one from a guy on eBay. He uses a drum kit mount/clamp. It's not good for salt use. all he uses is a sportbrella which works fine though. It's pretty effective and since the sportbrella has long sides it is configurable for the sun to a degree.

yeller
06-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Who needs an umbrella mount? :biggrin.:

mattyboy
06-02-2015, 06:57 AM
no need to ruin the looks of your classic with an umbrella or sunshade

just go for the Mad Mountain Dean Look

Dilligaf

chip w
06-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Who needs an umbrella mount? :biggrin.:

Those of us who live where the sun is high in the sky for many months do! BTW, great picture!

TBroccoli
06-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Nice Mounts!

Sorry.

yeller
06-03-2015, 10:22 AM
no need to ruin the looks of your classic with an umbrella or sunshade

just go for the Mad Mountain Dean Look

Dilligaf
I have one of those sun shades. :pimp: :biggrin.:82235