PDA

View Full Version : Buying insurance for the TR

gcarter
05-06-2015, 09:55 AM
I've been finding some resistance from insurance underwriters concerning getting a policy w/an appropriate value.
I offered a link to the build thread but little interest was exhibited on their part.
They told me they were only interested in a survey. I do understand their viewpoint,
I just didn't want to pay the $300 plus to get it done.
I finally bit the bullet and had one done on this past Monday and I received the report this morning.
The boat value w/the trailer came in at $55,000.00 and a replacement value of $65,000.00.
I was hoping for a value of $65K, but I can live w/this.
I should have some feed back from the underwriters tomorrow.

Morgan's Cloud
05-06-2015, 10:32 AM
It's a good thing you did almost everything yourself . Otherwise you'd be taking a complete bath .

woobs
05-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Did you try Carla at Hagerty ?

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/Classic-Boat-Insurance

She is the Classic Boat "go-to" for insurance. :)

Ed Donnelly
05-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Good news Hagarty are in Canada now

Bad news must be at least 18'. ..Ed

mattyboy
05-06-2015, 06:24 PM
plus 1 on carla mention the LGDCC and there may still be a discount for members

jl1962
05-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Ed-

You sure? That would be new.
Carla/Hagerty insured my 16'.
No issues.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2014/03/13/Donzi-50th-Anniversary?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_term&utm_content&utm_campaign=Hagerty+Current+March+2014

gcarter
05-06-2015, 06:54 PM
I called Carla who put me in touch w/Brett. Hagarty had stopped writing insurance in FL, but will now issue policies if you live north of Lake Okeechobee. Their quote is $688/per annum w/$500k liability.
I'm waiting for at least one more.

mattyboy
05-07-2015, 08:24 AM
yeah I am sure there are a ton of different regulations in different regions and countries. I seem to recall some speed and power limitations too.

Ed Donnelly
05-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Ed-

You sure? That would be new.
Carla/Hagerty insured my 16'.
No issues.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2014/03/13/Donzi-50th-Anniversary?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_term&utm_content&utm_campaign=Hagerty+Current+March+2014

Did the online thing and it stated first boat must be minimum 18'
Sent them an email..Ed

mc donzi
05-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Hagarty had a booth at the Antique & Classic Boat Show held each July in Gravenhurst Ontario.I asked for a quote on my 22 Classic and was told that Hagarty did not insure Donzis or other performance boats.

mattyboy
05-08-2015, 07:29 AM
They sponsored our Donzi Classic dustoff in 2013 and several members use them for their classics. they do have specs not all classics meet the specs but they are worth a call.

jl1962
05-08-2015, 08:01 AM
I think they have a preference for the "Classic 'Glas" end of the spectrum.
And tend to shy away from the modified, high HP boats.
I think one could make a case for anything that is either antique or classic (as in ACBS which is their bread and butter). Think Ski Sporter, Barrelback, Benchseat etc....

They happily insured my '67 Ski Sporter and my '04 18'.
Oddly the 18 is cheaper to insure than the 16......

boatnut
05-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Definitely a product you want to shop around for. As an example, I get most of my boat insurance from a broker I have used for 30+ years. Currently I have two boats with them. A 22' Boston Whaler in California and a 31' Devlin (wood) I keep in Washington (in sale process at the moment). Both were underwritten by Ace a large insurer of boats. However Ace did not want my 22' Donzi unless I paid a ridiculous price (performance image??). State Farm (where I have auto and house insurance) gave me a great price on the Donzi and had no performance issues. Of course I have a stock 300hp Donzi so there is really no performance to be concerned with. Haggerty has in my opinion always insured what others don't want (high dollar classic boats) and their prices reflect that.
I also tend to go with very high deductibles (self insure on the small stuff) which keeps the premium down.

gcarter
05-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Apparently the speed of the Donzi Classic and your geographic location has a lot to do w/their
willingness to cover it.
The older classics and wooden boats that go less than 55 MPH, Hagarty is glad to cover.
Then there's everyone else. They assigned me to Markel and the underwriter wanted a lot of
pictures of the engine, plus details of the engine. Since my engine HP is unknown, I listed it as
450 HP, which closely coincides with w/current Donzi production @ 435 HP. Also, they weren't
crazy about speeds higher than 65 MPH. I'm OK w/that, I guess.
I'm glad to get an agreed value policy w/a recognised insurer.

Pat McPherson
05-08-2015, 12:52 PM
I've been insuring boats with Flo for about 15 years now. I think 500HP and 70mph are the max. I'm paying about $500 these days for my 22C list at 415HP saying she goes 70 on top. It's stock power for the 22C so that helps...

RickSE
05-08-2015, 04:49 PM
I've been insuring boats with Flo for about 15 years now. I think 500HP and 70mph are the max. I'm paying about $500 these days for my 22C list at 415HP saying she goes 70 on top. It's stock power for the 22C so that helps...

Yeah, same here. Progressive through USAA was the only one who would cover our 22 when we bought it about 10-years ago. I gave them the advertised 470 HP number and let them figure out the speed. :boat:

gcarter
05-08-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm wonderin'.........both pat McPherson and Rick live in regions where the boating season is fairly short compared w/me living in FL and a year round season. Does the longer exposure increase the annual rate?
It would make sense if it does.

Pat McPherson
05-11-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm wonderin'.........both pat McPherson and Rick live in regions where the boating season is fairly short compared w/me living in FL and a year round season. Does the longer exposure increase the annual rate?
It would make sense if it does.
Mine is insured for 25K value, 600K liability, and the use is from May 1st to Oct 31st.

RickSE
05-11-2015, 02:51 PM
I would think that the biggest factors would be the season length, access to water, and the weather threat potential. We're insured year round but we certainly don't have the water access or the weather threats that you guys have in the South East.

VetteLT193
05-12-2015, 12:04 PM
I called Carla who put me in touch w/Brett. Hagarty had stopped writing insurance in FL, but will now issue policies if you live north of Lake Okeechobee. Their quote is $688/per annum w/$500k liability.
I'm waiting for at least one more.

If this is agreed value it's cheaper than mine. I'm insured about the same as your appraisal numbers, agreed value, with Progressive through USAA and it's about a grand per year on the ZXO. No claims, perfect credit and all that jazz...

No one else has come close to even matching the number.