PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX Top Speed sorry to all

Donzi22zx
09-30-2002, 09:21 PM
I want to first say I am sorry to all memebers of this forum for the way I reacted to your comments about my top speed. I was upset that everyone does not believe my speed, I know in the past that I told everyone that my boat ran 77-78 , I had not GPS's it yet. I went out and purchased a Garmine GPS 5 hand held unit that mounts to my dash. The boat originally went 69.8 , then I changed plugs and it went 71.5 then it picked up again to 71.8 but I was hitting the rev limiter, dod not know actual RPM because my Gaffrig II gauge bounces alot and I cant read it. I then purchased a LAB finished 25 p Mirage plus, after talking to several people in the know. The boat does not plain as good but from 40mph up it all around better. I made several back to back passes, first it ran 73.1 , then 73.8 and then 74.1 and then it ran 73.5 against current. That was with two people and 3/4 fuel. My boat is a late 1999 model ZX with a 454mag EFI with a Bravo 1 1:50r. drive with a rex marine air filter and projected tip spark plugs. I welcome anyone who wants to come for a ride to prove me wrong, please bring your own GPS if you want. I wasnt trying to start a big fight with this post , I was just happy with my speed for the little effort I put in. I know alot of guys spend thousands of dollars trying to make thier boats go fast. Maybe I have a wendsday built engine or maybe my GPS is bad, but whatever it is I just wanted to appologize to everyone. Please feel free to call me 1-302-249-1595 so we can arrange end of year party and I can show everyone how fast my boat is.
Thanks Bill

Sagbay32
09-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Well said!

Like my Grandpa used to say:

"There's always gonna be someone faster"

I am glad to hear you had great improvements with such little invested.

Mike in White Lake

FJB20
09-30-2002, 09:52 PM
So You Got Beat Up Pretty Good -- "Buddy Ryan"
" NFL" Did the Same Thing -- He Got Beat Up Too
( Body Bags) -- Buddy Sold Tickets --
So Did You -- Ya Sold a Lot O Tickets -- (700 Level) You Own a Donzi that You are Very Proud Of and Don't Change That -- This Site Is All About Good People -- Wanna Go Fast - "Listen" -

Mr. Civitano Knows 22ZX's
Wanna Go Real Fast - My Idol- GEOO

Nothing but Great People Here -- Enjoy Them

harbormaster
09-30-2002, 10:31 PM
NEVER apologize for going fast....

BUT you did need to apologize for the comment: "Most of you guys are older and scared to run a boat on its edge."

Being older has nothing to do with being scared. I believe you need to substitute the word "cautious" for "scared".

I know a lot of cautious older guys with boats that can kick your young unscared 72mph 22zx ass. :D

mjpcowboy
09-30-2002, 10:59 PM
Enough said, we all have something in common the love of a Donzi. I am waiting the chance to meet all of you at next years AOTH. Great day at the lake today, may be the last of the season. Rick

clayman
10-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Would someone please give Donzi22ZX a spell-checker, he is driving me crazy with all his mis-spellings, let alone his rude comments.
James
Can't wait for the HOMETOWN RALLY!

Shanghied Again
10-01-2002, 06:19 AM
I called Bill yesterday and had a chat with him, Hey guys he is just like us! He has a love for his Donzi, We went over a few things, I have seen 72 out of a 502/415 and I have seen a 454/385hp develope 425hp on a dino (Freaky) and I also have seen the opposite. I told him the a GPS can give you a false reading. I have 3 and there all different. I will stay with a speed of 68-72 Tops. But deep down he is a good guy and a Brother Donzi owner! I also told him that a 25 pitch 3 blade is not a safe blade for that boat, The boat can not handle well, If he ran a 4 Blade Bravo he will loose 2mph but gain total control over the boat.

Formula Jr
10-01-2002, 06:59 AM
Everybody knows there are "Wednesday Build" engines. If you get one of these, it is a sweet deal. But there are also, "1 in 10 thousand" engines out there.......

When Harley came out with the Cafe Racer, they reserved the top 5 percent of the dyno-ed engines for this bike and did nothing else. The CR engines put out 10 to 15 more hp just due to selection.

Like any probability curve, you will have improbable engines made that don't make sense. I had a Ford 302 like this once - damn thing ran forever and wore out the truck it was in.

There is so much HP loss due to internal friction, that randomly fitted "within Spec" engines will have a wide margin of output. It is neccessary, within the realm of statistics, that once and a while there will be a golden fit where all these parts just work perfectly.: A naturally made "Blue Printed" engine. If Bill got one of these, he is a lucky puppy indeed.

PaulO
10-01-2002, 09:45 AM
Hey Owen,
So what did the Harley engine end up producing?
53 HP Ha Ha Ha.
PaulO

Formula Jr
10-01-2002, 09:51 AM
NO WAY!! It was pumping out at least 56, true, blue, USA HP. LOL wink

blackhawk
10-01-2002, 01:54 PM
I heard that Mecruiser Sterndrive engines were allowed a 10% tolerance for hp. Meaning a 502 could have 373.5 and be considered okay!

The Mercruiser Racing engines have a 3% tolerance for hp. Meaning a 500HP would have to have at least 455.9 hp to be okay.

Now, take a "strong" 500HP putting out 470 hp and compare it too a "weak" 502 at 375 hp. ALMOST 100 HP!!!

HyperDonzi
10-01-2002, 02:33 PM
FormulaJR, those Ford 302's.... my parents have a 93 thunderbird, dosent get driven much anymore(instead mom puts 30k miles a year on the trans-am :mad: ) but it has a little over 150k miles, still runs strong, new battery at 148k, new fuel pump and fuel filter at 145 new egr valve the other day.

Back to the orig. post: what kind of plugs did you put in?