PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion on full covers

Escman
03-29-2015, 08:47 PM
I have to trailer my 22 Classic about 450 miles to my home marina. Does anyone have any experience with any of the eBay vendors that list trailerable covers for the 22? I need something for the trip and then would probably throw it away after I have a proper full cover made. I am concerned with the cover buffing the gel coat in the areas of high pressure unless there is some sort of protection built in.

P.

Ghost
03-29-2015, 09:00 PM
A very good question i think.

Unless you have the rarest of rare custom covers with a slew of bungees fitted just right, I would not even think about covering it in transit. All the professional guidelines dictate transporting your boat completely uncovered. With or without special liners to protect the gel, a cover will likely do exactly what you fear: abrade the gel.

There's really little need to worry about a Donzi in transit. Give it a healthy waxing before you go. Maybe even wait on some of the buffing until you reach your destination if you are worried about pebbles and such hitting it on the road. Stow the upholstery in the bow, dry, and take her for a ride. Save your money and put it towards a great custom cover. If it rains, so be it.

I know of a couple of folks (Dr. Dan, Undertaker) who seemed to have covers so tight and fitted that they managed to be okay at highway speed, somehow. Meaning they were immobilized and the covers apparently don't sand the gel. You'll never get that from a cheap off-the-rack cover.

Morgan's Cloud
03-30-2015, 06:42 AM
If you were thinking about tossing a cheap cover after the trip why not shrink wrap it for the one way journey ?
That stuff doesn't even blow off in a hurricane .

mattyboy
03-30-2015, 08:03 AM
money would be better spent on a set of towing brooms for the tow vehicle that keep road crap on the road. I always tow uncovered and the interior in the tow vehicle

http://www.shoprvparts.com/product/14542F/towed-vehicle-guard-ultra-guard-tow-guards.html

undertaker
03-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Dr. Dan & I both cover our 22 classics with a full cover on, mostly on longer tows, we both got them from www.coverquest.com, they make a very nice custom cover for the 22, get the sunbrella fabric, however not a cheap cover about $680.00 if memory is correct so you might not wanna just throw that away. I have ten seasons on my cover and lots and lots of miles on it and still looks pretty good. Dr. Dan has A LOT more years and miles on his and same thing looks awesome. My boat sits in garage all yr long so only use cover on trips, Danny's boat sits outside and he uses his cover 365.

The method we both use is underneath the full cover we lay soft bed sheets on the bow and stern of boats and have the cockpit cover on underneath the full cover this prevents any chaffing of gel, for me on the tie downs for cover I also put pipe insulation on my tie downs because some of them r close to the side gel on the boat and that prevents chaffing the side gel with the tie downs. My trailer is a MYCO and the sides of boat sit right lined up with fenders, where as Danny's trailer the boat sits inside his fenders thus the straps do not chaff his side gel. The key is to yack on those tie downs and get that cover super super tight.

It a fairly involved process and when I go to events some guys are like WTH, but I have driven threw some monsoon type rain and when I arrived at an event and pull the cover off, the top and inside is as clean as a pin, just gotta wipe down the sides and transom.

If I where you and you are not going to be towing alot, its not cost effective to buy a 680 cover for one tow, I would get it shrinkwrapped and be done with it. The CIG guys (Phil Lipshultz) do that with there 20 cigs when they tow to AOTH in Kentcuky its a sweet set up81829....

Good luck any questions shoot me a PM....

Here is a pic of our covers, mine is the super fast red boat, Dr. Dans is the teal slow boat :biggrin.:

Undertaker:shades:

jl1962
03-30-2015, 09:07 AM
If you're really concerned, shrink wrap it for the delivery and then get a good custom cover.

I bought a cheapo eBay top cover for my 18 but it turned out to be unsuitable for trailering.

I'm having a custom cover made now.

Undertaker - $680 for a fitted 22 cover is not bad at all IMO

A good fitting, quality cover is a great way to take care of your boat, whether trailing or just storing, and will save you $$ down the road.....(literally).

Carl C
03-30-2015, 10:38 AM
I tow without a cover. On long trips I take the cockpit cover and tape to put across the front of it if I hit heavy rain.

undertaker
03-30-2015, 12:13 PM
If you're really concerned, shrink wrap it for the delivery and then get a good custom cover.

I bought a cheapo eBay top cover for my 18 but it turned out to be unsuitable for trailering.

I'm having a custom cover made now.

Undertaker - $680 for a fitted 22 cover is not bad at all IMO

A good fitting, quality cover is a great way to take care of your boat, whether trailing or just storing, and will save you $$ down the road.....(literally).

Jay, I agree $680.00 is good for the cover with the sunbrella fabric, and will last you a long long time, just dont think I would spend the $680.00 and throw away after one use....

What I wanna do one day when I grow up is get a serious custom cover made that covers all the way down to water line and maybe a bit underneath especially in the bow area that would be super tight fitting. I like the one Yeller had made for his boat gonna get my local guy to make something similiar....

Here is a pic...

jl1962
03-30-2015, 12:51 PM
THAT'S a great cover!

MM has a good one too.

And it goes without saying that a poorly fitting cover, improperly secured will beat the crap out of your boat....

Escman
03-30-2015, 03:53 PM
If you were thinking about tossing a cheap cover after the trip why not shrink wrap it for the one way journey ?
That stuff doesn't even blow off in a hurricane .

I had my 18 shrink wrapped on the way down to Knoxville, however it buffed the gel on the bow, and rear hatch. I guess I could try it again but perhaps put a couple of old blankets on before they start. I wanted to do that last year but the guy was afraid of a fire.

Escman
03-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Jay, I agree $680.00 is good for the cover with the sunbrella fabric, and will last you a long long time, just dont think I would spend the $680.00 and throw away after one use....

What I wanna do one day when I grow up is get a serious custom cover made that covers all the way down to water line and maybe a bit underneath especially in the bow area that would be super tight fitting. I like the one Yeller had made for his boat gonna get my local guy to make something similiar....

Here is a pic...
I certainly wouldn't throw away a 680$ cover. I was only referring to the 150+- on ebay. The cover on my 18 goes all the way to the waterline so I don't see any reason not to want it the same. I keep it on a Hydro Lift and my marina is covered, so there's no problem wrapping around the corners. I do like the one in the picture!

MDonziM
04-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Do what Matty said, or shrink wrap as said. There is no cheap way to cover imo. My full cover fits like a clove and is made from heavier vinyl material with a felt like inside layer(don't know the name off hand) but the one for my 22 cost $1,800 9yrs ago and the one on my Mag cost $3,400 3 yrs ago. Both have been fine on the highway.