PDA

View Full Version : Interiors who's gotta a guy in the Tristate

mattyboy
03-28-2015, 08:38 AM
I have had my canvas guy look at the interior to see if he could make one.

his exact words were" holy **** look at those corners , that is artwork and would give a seasoned seamstress ****ing nightmares"

it seems ( punn intended) that the work John Harmon and Bilt-Rite did was truly amazing . I showed him some pics of the candy cane and other classic interiors,how the pleats in the tuck and roll line up from seat back to seat bottom how the corners are anticipated with an ever decreasing width pleat then increasing as the corner is left, pretty much the way a race car slows into then accelerates out of a turn.

The benchseat Hornet corners are especially difficult as the width of the foam is so much thicker than a standard classic interior. BiltRite's solution was to sew in a triangular wedges you can see it in the first pic they are a tad loose being 45 yrs old you can't just make the corner with just the pleats alone.

So I want to have a set made I want to take the boat to them for measurements and fitting as needed and look at the original . I don't want to send the original out in fear it has shrunk a little or that in may be destroyed in the process

So anyone know of a good shop in the NYC TriState area?

woobs
03-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Sorry Matty, not the Tri State area but if you're ever near Toronto.....

My interior expert (her work regularly wins on boats shown at ACBS shows) looked at the regular Donzi seats at our last winter workshop where a 16 baby was being restored. She exclaimed how easy they were to make and couldn't understand the reason why they cost so much.

As far as corners go, the tuck n roll pleats are what make it easy as you are able to gather the excess material. When my very thick Greavette seat were re-done there was no such convention to make them form. But, she found a way.

These pics were while she was working on it (took several tries) but, now there's virtually no excess material... I'm looking for those pictures.

It may be a trip to Canada but, I will personally take you out to dinner when you come. :)

Morgan's Cloud
03-28-2015, 10:33 AM
I know this won't be of much assistance to Matty but I've always been puzzled by the numerous issues members have with finding people to do upholstery and canvas work .

Out here in la la land on the rock we look at the US as the place where miracles can be worked , anything can be made , and here not even the simplest of jobs can be done right.

But for some reason we have a good few canvas/upholstery fabricators that are pretty decent . (Don't ask about price , please )

When my brother got his XK19 years back one of the first things he had done was to completely reupholster it. That interior was very similar to an 18 2+3 or 22C and needed coamings too.

The guy who did it was actually a trainee and the end result was amazing.

Sean - That work is really nice too !

mattyboy
03-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Woobs

thanks for the offer the boats looks great

I have thought the 'woodyboater" crowd might be a resource . I spoke with Seth over in Lake Hopatcong at the OPA races a while back he said he might be a help .
There is also a woman over there that does great work we used her for the cig project I can't find her number that was about 10 yrs ago not sure she is still around. I have also thought about stopping here I pass it everyday coming home
http://www.premierrestony.com/ see if they could do it.

The main problem here is the cover interior guys are always so busy with quick cover jobs they don't take on the more intricate jobs. The big shop in the area told me they had no time to do a cockpit cover, A friend who owns a local marina said he had a guy who was good he came and told me as long as it was just the cockpit cover and nothing else he would do it . he was too busy doing patio boat covers to take time away from his bread and butter. he did my cover in 21/2 days measured one day one day at the shop and a half day final fitting and snaps for 500 then i gave him leads on 2 patio boats and it was 400 he does a patio boat in about the same time for about 2k

scippy
03-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Matty...........Al's custom interiors in mt. Holly N.J. does excellent work. I saw the work he compelted on a 39' Sutphen.....turned out great!
https://www.facebook.com/AlsCustomInteriors

Greg Guimond
03-28-2015, 12:42 PM
There is no one in CT, NY, or NJ that can do top quality, show level work with boats. Ask me how I know.

There are a couple around Greenwich for cars but the techniques, fabrics, foams, even stitch thread and staples are all different IF you want a job that will hold up to both salt and freshwater use over the many years. The car shops will try and convince you that there products are all great for marine, that's BS. For cushions you could send them to Sturgis Design in Texas. They are probably the best in the country. The guys over in Lake Havasu might have NOS vinyls if you want that. If you feel you have to drag the boat to the provider (I have no idea what you'd like to do) I'm sure that Bert's boys in Pittsburgh would be worth a phone call and possibly the 5 hour drive. Ideal, not really ...... but a few hours closer than Canada and you could knock out a trip to steel city in one long day. In short, you get what you pay for and have to be willing to wait in line.

Woobs, what shop do you use in Toronto?

woobs
03-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Yes Matty,

The "Woodyboat" guys certainly have a handle on who does the best interiors. I'm sure Matt at WoodyBoater.com can get you hooked up a little more local. There's a lot of them in MN, MI, OH and then there's always Katz's in NJ. I'm pretty sure there's a place up near Clayton, NY too... :)

Greg,
My "go to" person is Linda Hughes from LINRICH just east of Toronto in Hampton, Ontario. Linda is certainly one of the best (and proven at the shows). However, there are several capable shops in our area... Muskoka (also near Toronto) is a center for wooden boats and the restoration trade. But, it seems like there's not many places that do fiberglass work.

Linda also made my fabulous weatherproof/UV resistant custom towable cover. (it wasn't inexpensive though it was worth it.) Here's another pic of my rear seat.

Scott Pearson
03-28-2015, 02:29 PM
When John Harmon did the Benchseat Hornet interiors he used 6" foam on the bottom and 4" with 2" glued across the back but tapered it to 4" on the sides. He also glued pieces to make the curve and taper. The foam hold it shape. Its a work of art! See pictures.

This gives more room in the cockpit area and does not effect shifter function.

There is a picture of the original interior in "The Ultimate" See the tapper 6" to 4".

Also "The Sting" Same thing.

Rob M
03-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Scott,

Do you happen to know the correct foam depth/thickness for the seat and back cushion for the Baby 14? I am getting mine done soon and that info would be very helpful. The one's that came with my boat were incorrect aftermarket items.

Thanks

Rob

Scott Pearson
03-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Rob,
They are 4" back and bottom.

Rob M
03-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks Scott - that is incredibly helpful.

Let me know if you happen to be producing stern rub rail corners for the Baby 14 or have access to castings. I need a set for my restoration project - they are very difficult (impossible) to source.

Regards,

Rob

scippy
03-28-2015, 06:17 PM
There is no one in CT, NY, or NJ that can do top quality, show level work with boats. Ask me how I know.

Greg,.....So I 'll ask you, how do you know? .......are you being specific about Al's custom?.....your's was a blanket statement mine was a specific recommend.

Tom A.
03-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Al does great work. He does all the Outerlimits interiors.

mattyboy
03-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Pete ,Tom thanks for the lead.

Scott
very interesting looks like BiltRite had two methods to do thicker benchseat interiors the decreasing pleat and the corner wedge. Mine looks very much like your cig 14 interior with the corner wedges

I would think mine started out as the same 6 inches tapered to 4 on the sides but it measures close to 7 and 5 my cushions have also shifted a bit over the years

Scott Pearson
03-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Matty Yes I think John at Bilt-rite did them a few ways. I really like the cut pleat way that's on your seats. Looks more correct.