Another rare one found!

Morgan's Cloud
01-29-2015, 02:01 PM
Looks like it needs some new risers :biggrin.:
And that gas filter ... :eek:

How did you come across this one ?

Carl C
01-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Just needs a little JB Weld. :) Hopefully the engine block looks better. Nice find.

bfitz16
02-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Great find Scott, where did you buy it? I bought PZAZZ last summer and couldn't be happier with it. How many of these exist with this setup? V-Drive is tricky around the dock, but lots of fun. Almost feels like driving a small Hacker on steroids!

I'm looking to have the dash, chrome and windshield redone to start. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

bertsboat
02-23-2015, 03:24 PM
That's overseas somewhere. Spain maybe. There was one in Germany last year.

Scott Pearson
02-24-2015, 12:15 PM
What type of dash are you thinking of? Keeping it original I would hope. Chrome is your preference as far as who to send it to. A friend of mine does all of my chrome. Windshield you can do yourself if you are handy. I have done a few already. Trick is finding the correct green tinted Lexan.

bfitz16
02-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Trying to keep as close to original as possible. Not even really sure where to begin with dash, I just know a new one would look great. I like what you did with yours, I might pull it and see if someone can duplicate with an old classic look. As far as chrome, a guy in Conn. was recommended to me but I have no preference. I would like to think I am handy, I really wouldn't want to screw anything up with the windshield though.

I'm not repainting as of yet, I want to have it cleaned up and polished out before I do anything. I realize there were some questions about the condition after reading previous posts. I'm not looking for a museum/show ready boat, I want a clean sharp looking boat that I can ride in all day. Also, some concerns about the fuel tank and I fully understand what I got when I was buying the boat. If Jason Saris tells me it's in good shape after emptying and cleaning it, that's good enough for me.

Any chance I could give you a call or if you could text me your number? Would love to have a conversation about PZAZZ and your love for these boats.

Thanks, Bill
518-361-6457

bertsboat
02-26-2015, 07:30 AM
81553This is an example of our Donzi Bench dash.

smidgen too
02-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Great find Scott, where did you buy it? I bought PZAZZ last summer and couldn't be happier with it. How many of these exist with this setup? V-Drive is tricky around the dock, but lots of fun. Almost feels like driving a small Hacker on steroids!

I'm looking to have the dash, chrome and windshield redone to start. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Bill the green Plexiglas used for Magnum windshields is #211 or 2111 Lt Green, most likely Donzi used the same color. Here is a link to one site. Mark

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic?search=2111

jl1962
02-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Bert - I love those green line gauges.
But why do you need a tach that goes to 8000?
Is that the only way offered?
I have the same issue with my boat (and a 100 mph speedo too!)
I may change them out at some point.

Carl C
02-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Bert - I love those green line gauges.
But why do you need a tach that goes to 8000?
Is that the only way offered?
I have the same issue with my boat (and a 100 mph speedo too!)
I may change them out at some point.

Or make that speedo necessary ;). It's hard to find a tach under 8g. Most car tachs go to 10 or 11g now which is stupid.

gcarter
02-26-2015, 12:22 PM
A Bourdon Tube speedometer should have a range 30% higher than the highest speed expected to insure against damage to the gauge's internal linkage.
Why would someone want to damage their speedo just to have a range that's keeping w/the boat's performance.

mattyboy
02-26-2015, 12:33 PM
The dash bertsboat posted is not the dash plate that pizazz has the arched panel was used on multiple models prior to 1968. Pizazz has the bigger panel that has the corners cut they only used this dash plate for a short time in 1968 and was only used on the Hornet then they went to the dash as seen on the bench seat Scott pictured

Pizazz's dash plate should be two parts a black back plate and SS insert

If both are in place it would be easy for a decent shop to refurb Be careful when painting or finishing a dash plate some of the old gauges pickup their ground thru the plate itself. Also look to see if the HM setup uses the voltage regulator to the gauge. A 12 volt gauge is not going to like that

If the dash is going to be redone might as well update the harness. Teleflex HD and Stwewart Warner make gauge models that will look OEM correct

Good luck with the project they are big boats and can be a big project

jl1962
02-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Or make that speedo necessary ;).

Carl - Not likely!

George - at first I thought you wrote Bourbon tube - which might result in one thinking they were going 30% faster! Kind of like beer goggles.....

Thanks.

gcarter
02-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Carl - Not likely!

George - at first I thought you wrote Bourbon tube - which might result in one thinking they were going 30% faster! Kind of like beer goggles.....

Thanks.

I suppose the tube could be filled w/bourbon.............but I don't think it would really care! :)

mattyboy
02-26-2015, 03:24 PM
as one becomes involved in a project on a donzi classic they will find that they become a student of the model. Picking up knowledge, factoids and trivial repository.

here is a look at the dashes that they used on the Bench Seat Hornet.

1.the arched panel used on the pre 68 models it was also used on the 16 and corsican. this panel often came with a donzi blank gauge. it only had one large opening for the tach 4 small openings usually amp oil water no fuel or hours the fuel was a site gauge and the hour meter was usually in the bilge. they used the donzi blank gauge which was a blank with the prop logo as the face pretty neat to see one very cool

2. the panel used in 1968 they used this on about 10 boats approx hull 34 to 44 this panel had 2 large openings for tach and speedo and 4 small openings used for water oil amp fuel please note the one pictured was customized to add a hole for the trim gauge this was never needed in a v drive or volvo boat in order to make the plate balanced another hole was added and an hour gauge installed . pizazz hull 40 would have this plate but with only two holes on each side of the larger holes

3. the later plate used after 1968 this the hornet from the beginning of this thread hull 47

the windshield can be removed by anyone who knows how to use a screwdriver and pliers then take the lexi panels to a glass place they should be able to cut it for you if you feel you are not up to it.

I personally hate the windshield on the Hornet I removed mine and kept it for the next owner.

bertsboat
02-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Here is another

mattyboy
02-26-2015, 06:15 PM
ummmm bert that is same dash as the boat in this thread number 3 in my post ?????????????????????????????????? so what did I forget????????????????????????

bertsboat
02-27-2015, 05:45 AM
Just another example Matty. Old photo of another original, that's all.

mattyboy
02-27-2015, 06:46 AM
Bert, I am confused are you saying they made 4 dash plates for the hornet? and your pic is the example of the 4th version of dash? or are you saying it is a better pic of the 3rd version of dash plate?

here is my dash plate, pizazz would have , on mine the insert must have succumbed to the salt environment so it was removed and the back plate was painted white. this is an old pic it looks much better now. Not sure why the old owner thought it would better white with the SS bezels on the big danforth instruments the insert would look great.

I have also found Faria euro series black and silver gauges which look nice with silver bezels and look period correct as well They make them in white too.

bertsboat
02-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Not better or worse, just another picture of another dash. I like them all right or wrong better or worse. Sounds like wedding vows.

woobs
02-27-2015, 11:50 AM
...I have also found Faria euro series black and silver gauges which look nice with silver bezels and look period correct as well They make them in white too.

I used the Faria euro Series white gauges on my 18 2+3 and thought they looked great.

mattyboy
02-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Scott on the plexi did they only use green , or did they only use green on a boat with green in the color scheme? mine is clear and so is the one on Pizazz last I saw her?

woobs i really like and would use the white euro but my boat has bigger danforth instruments compass, barometer,depth finder and clock that are black with large chrome bezels so I think the black/silver euro would look more matched. another shot of my dash during the rewire

as far as the windshield here are pics wit and witout as they say in Philly. I like the lines better without the windshield it also makes the boat cooler on hot days by increasing the air flow when not underway.

good luck with the project bfitz16

ratman67
04-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Or make that speedo necessary ;). It's hard to find a tach under 8g. Most car tachs go to 10 or 11g now which is stupid.

My last 302 sbc spun 9800 rpms...

bertsboat
04-27-2015, 04:38 PM
It goes to 8000 because the engine revs over 6000 and they didn't have a 7000 RPM tach yet. Maybe some day...