PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater to Saltwater, back to freshwater help

FISHIN SUCKS
01-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Okay, need some help here. For spring break we are taking our Whaler down to Fort Myers and renting a house on a canal. the boat has never been in salt water, 40HP Johnson on a 13' sport. we plan on leaving it in the water the whole week as the ramp is 7 miles away (don't want to deal with the land lubber spring break traffic). Do I need to change the zinc plate or anything? Is this just a bad idea? I am bringing my water muffs and a garden hose, or do I even need to bring these things? thanx in advance for any input,

tom

wwahl
01-25-2015, 10:56 PM
If it is freezing where your home is, just flush it in Florida when you are finished. It isn't going to hurt your boat to use it in salt water.

FISHIN SUCKS
01-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Thank you WW....and you are right, it was 10 degrees F:eek: out this morning. So for only a week, I shouldn't have to worry about changing the plates:wrench: (magnesium to zinc and vise versa)? if it matters, the motor is a 1990 model. thanx again for the response,

tom

yeller
01-26-2015, 03:12 PM
As wwahl already said....don't worry about it. Salt isn't the Instant killer a lot of people think it is. It takes time and neglect for salt to cause damage. Just flush and wash it as soon as possible after pulling it out. The best would be to pull it out and flush/wash it before the salt water has time to dry. I find salt water causes most of its damage when it dries out. That's when the salt crystalizes and attaches itself to the metal...causing corrosion. I hose down my entire boat after being in the salt. Interior, exterior, engine, trailer...in addition to flushing engine. I do the "taste test" on the exhaust water to determine flushing time.
Even if you can't flush right away, your one-time salt excursion isn't going to do any damage.

FISHIN SUCKS
01-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Many Thanx Yeller!!! If there isnt a freshwater hose at the launch, we can get back to the rented house and flush it there. I've been around salt, just never had to deal with it. Thanx again as always,

tom

Barry Eller
01-28-2015, 05:13 AM
Bring the trailer back from the ramp and wash the salt off asap. Trailers rust from sitting after being dunked. Lots of seashells on Sanibel Island.

FISHIN SUCKS
01-31-2015, 09:57 PM
Thanx Barry!!! I shoulda just asked you directly, haha. Tell Denise I said 'hey'!

'The Yankees:nilly::nilly::boggled::yes: is a raid'n south Florida, better git the guns:fire::fire:!!!'

tom

Barry Eller
02-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Have a great time! and I do recommend flushing with salt away when you get the boat out, and is still warm. So the salt won't have time to crystallize in the passages. I let my boat stay in the bay for 2-3 days at my neighbors dock. But much longer you may start seeing the start of barnacles, very tiny, but you will be able to feel them when you run your hand over the hull and engine. Get them off asap also, the longer you wait...the harder they stick. I have been boating in salt water 50+ years..."Grasshopper"" lol

Team Jefe
02-09-2015, 06:55 AM
What they said. have fun, clean the trailer, flush with salt away, clean the hull.....and put a good coat of wax on it before yout go.....that's why you have home grown indentured servants :biggrin.:. I'd also corrosion-X the motor and exposed metal parts before and after the salt dunking !

FISHIN SUCKS
02-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Wax the bottom:confused:?? okay, if you say so, im all over it....or under it. do i find this salt away at a walmart or west marine or where down there? what is corrosion-x? maybe i'll just call ya, im overdue! thanx as always,

tom

BUIZILLA
02-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Wax the bottom:confused:?? okay, if you say so, im all over it....or under it. do i find this salt away at a walmart or west marine or where down there? what is corrosion-x? maybe i'll just call ya, im overdue! thanx as always,

tom your over reacting :bighug:

yeller
02-10-2015, 09:45 PM
What they said. have fun, clean the trailer, flush with salt away, clean the hull.....and put a good coat of wax on it before yout go.....that's why you have home grown indentured servants :biggrin.:. I'd also corrosion-X the motor and exposed metal parts before and after the salt dunking !Wow. If that's what you do Jefe, I am impressed. :yes:
I think you might be scaring him a bit, though. He's only going out for a few days. I boat in salt and don't do any of that. A good rinse with water and your good. Salt Away does work. I never used it in the past, but heard good things about it.

Ghost
02-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Waxing the bottom is a good idea for fresh as well as salt. Better yet, see if you can get Barbie to do it. Work the "my arms are too long" angle.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Thanx Mike, I'll try the arm thing!!! Buiz, I think grape nuts is a venerial disease, so I'm gullible....what am I over reacting to....Lay it all out so I can play it all out. Many thanx to all, your input is much appreciated,

tom

72Hornet
02-18-2015, 10:20 AM
I boat primarily in freshwater, but have a lot of experience in saltwater as my brother lives in SC on the coast. Don't worry about your Whaler. Make sure you flush the engine on the muffs for a bit when you pull it out, Thoroughly wash the entire boat and trailer. My brother's trailers all have lights mounted on the guideposts so they do not get submerged when launching and retrieving. He always tries to set up his trailers so they do not get totally dunked when launching and retrieving. He also sprays the inside of the outboard with WD-40 regularly. But remember, he uses his boats entirely in salt water. A good coat of wax before and after are always a good thing. Enjoy as boat are made to get wet!

FISHIN SUCKS
02-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Much appreciated 72!

Okay, so muffs and a garden hose, wax on wax off, salt away, wash off the trailer....check! I have some anodized Fruehauf taillights on the trailer, I'll be sure to rinse those off really well to. Thanx again to all ya all, I'm feelin better about this trip.

tom