PDA

View Full Version : Tavares Florida ACBS boat show March 27-29 1015

bertsboat
01-08-2015, 10:19 AM
OK, I tried this last year and it's too bad there were only two Donzi's at the show both of which happened to be 14 feet. One bench and one open. Now that any fiberglass boat older than 1989.
Classic: A boat built between 1943 and 1975 inclusive
Late Classic (new): A wooden or non-wooden boat built 1976-1989, excluding boats of a certain hull type such as pontoons, inflatables and small personal watercraft. A boat in this category must have some historical significance as determined by the show committee to be considered for display. Please send a photo and description to the address on the registration form for review by the committee.

Also, the Classic Race Boat regatta the week before. Bring you Donzi and run with the other half dozen that race each other. You will have to be a member of APBA and the CRA and have a letter from a doctor as well as a lifeline jacket and a orange helmet. You can maybe borrow a jacket if you don't have one.

http://www.acbs-sunnyland.org/index.php/registration

Again this year I can arrange for all the Donzi,s to be side by side. The Donzi's get allot of attention. Most people have a connection to these boats. They either have one, had one or knew someone that had one. It's funny to see all the wood boat guys scratching their heads in wonder thinking what is all the fuss about over there!
So, with that said and an early notice we hope there will be a showing this year. At this show it's OK to go out in you boat and enjoy the great scenery and local flavor this area has to offer. The Dora canal, the many watering holes and nearby Mt Dora.
Really nice rooms at the nearby Mission inn http://www.missioninnresort.com/ about 7 miles away has a pool, hot tub, billiards and great food at a reasonable price. Plenty of parking too. There are also closer places and cheaper rooms too.
You can contact me if you like at bertsboat@mindspring.com

BUIZILLA
01-08-2015, 11:07 AM
I will bring my Hornet

Ghost
01-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Also, nice round of golf at Mission Inn, at least there was 20 years ago. :)

Wish I could go.

gcarter
01-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Bert, at least this year I think I can make it. Your "Lil Red Boat" will have some competition from a larger red Donzi.
There's not that much more to do.

bertsboat
01-09-2015, 04:29 PM
The "little red boat" is no competition for your boat. I doubt there will be anything that will be as nice as your red boat but there will be a fresh Gulf blue 19' benchseat Hornet there next to the Baby this year for sure and I hope allot more Donzi's too.

mario
01-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Bert shoot me some pic off that nice gulf blur hornet I might try and come down I know there will be a lot off cobras there

mario

bertsboat
01-11-2015, 08:18 AM
There will be about 16 Cobras and one Barracuda benchseat. We hope you and your wife will make it down Mario. We all enjoyed your visit last summer. I'll shoot you a picture. I hope there will be some Donzi's as well.

bertsboat
02-05-2015, 08:04 PM
I am thinking there will be around 6 Classic Donzi boats so far. Remember, you have to join the ACBS to enter in the show. The more boats we have there the better it will be. Everybody likes a Donzi.
Let's see, Buzilla and his Hornet, a Benchseat from PA and a open 14 along with a Donzi Baby OB and the Baby Donzi #14 is what we have so far.
Mark your calender please.....

Like to see a few more Baby's there..

woobs
02-05-2015, 09:20 PM
I soooooooooo, wish I could be there. Many of my "woodyboat" friends will be there (some with their boats all the way from Canada). I am also happy that many from this community will be in attendance! Will make for a spectacular show.

This event is #1 on my bucket list and I'd love to get there with my Donzi and maybe someday my Greavette. I'm GREEN with envy. :)

so, have a great time and take lots of pictures!

BTW: Keep an eye out for my buddies "Gold Cup" (G4) Riot... it's a cool boat.81433

Sidney073
02-08-2015, 01:24 PM
If nothing changes with my schedule I'm off both weekends, so will try to make both, love the Harris chain! Will keep an eye on this thread.

gcarter
02-08-2015, 02:41 PM
My plan is to make it. The boat may have the old upholstery in it though.
The upholstery shop has had the old stuff for six months, but they want the boat and do it all at once.
I doubt it will happen by the time of the show.

bertsboat
02-09-2015, 06:20 AM
http://www.acbs.org/join.html and join the Sunnyland chapter. I am going to arrange that all the Donzi guys be at the same dock. To date we have 5 boats that I know of. Baxters 14 F-14 and his 16 OB, Jim's Hornet and the 14 Baby as well as a bench Hornet. Come on fellowa. If you have never been through the Dora canal you don't know what your missing. I know there are lots of classic Doniz's in Florida and all over the country that would have the greatest time here. You can go out in your boat anytime (although they encourage you to stick around the docks, after all, people pay to get in and see the Donzi's up close and personal)
When people see a Donzi at the dock their eyes light up. It is a really neat feeling. The stories they tell. Their Uncle had a Donzi, their Father had a Donzi, their brother had a Donzi and they even say that they had a Donzi and the wished they never sold it !!

So....come on down to Florida (bet you wish it was this week all you northern Donzi folks)

http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/CRA-TavaresFallRegatta.htm

ALSO: Come on down and race your fellow Donzi lovers at the CRA Classic at Tavares the week before the boat show. There are allways a few Donzi boat that want to run what you brung !!

bertsboat
02-13-2015, 01:23 PM

2015 Show On Line Registration in Now Open!!!

March 27-29, 2015 - Waterfront, Tavares Florida

Celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the Chris-Craft Cobra

file:///C:\Users\BERT~1.MSE\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip 1\01\clip_image002.jpg
While our friends across the nation are winterizing their summer boats, Terry Fiest and the Sunnyland crew is gearing up for another fantastic antique and classic boat show, featuring the one and only Chris-Craft Cobra. This limited edition beauty is celebrating her 60th Anniversary, and all your friends at Sunnyland invite you to Save the Date for the last weekend in March - March 27-29, 2015.
If you wish to volunteer for the show, click HERE (boatshow@acbs-sunnyland.org) to send an email to our boat show coordinator!

On Line Registration Is Now Open!

Click HERE (http://www.acbs-sunnyland.org/index.php/registration) to Register NOW!

http://www.tavares.org/

gcarter
02-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Bert, I'm waiting for my ACBS member number after having recently joined.
I waited what I thought was a reasonable time and have now sent an email to
Peter Stevens to see if that will expedite the process. As soon as I receive it,
I will enter the Sunnyland show application.

BUIZILLA
02-14-2015, 01:28 PM
I had to call them George...

talk to Stacy

bertsboat
02-15-2015, 12:52 PM
George Carter has been showing us all what he has been doing on his boat for how many years?
I, for one, can't wait to see it up close. Come on guy's, come on and bring your classic to a boat show and share the first show with George.

gcarter
02-16-2015, 12:47 PM
OK, Jen Dennie at the ACBS headquarters sent me an email w/the member # on it.
I registered and am awaiting my confirmation email.

bertsboat
02-17-2015, 11:51 AM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Sidney073
02-26-2015, 08:16 AM
OK, I tried this last year and it's too bad there were only two Donzi's at the show both of which happened to be 14 feet. One bench and one open. Now that any fiberglass boat older than 1989.
Classic: A boat built between 1943 and 1975 inclusive
Late Classic (new): A wooden or non-wooden boat built 1976-1989, excluding boats of a certain hull type such as pontoons, inflatables and small personal watercraft. A boat in this category must have some historical significance as determined by the show committee to be considered for display. Please send a photo and description to the address on the registration form for review by the committee.

Also, the Classic Race Boat regatta the week before. Bring you Donzi and run with the other half dozen that race each other. You will have to be a member of APBA and the CRA and have a letter from a doctor as well as a lifeline jacket and a orange helmet. You can maybe borrow a jacket if you don't have one.

Again this year I can arrange for all the Donzi,s to be side by side. The Donzi's get allot of attention. Most people have a connection to these boats. They either have one, had one or knew someone that had one. It's funny to see all the wood boat guys scratching their heads in wonder thinking what is all the fuss about over there!
So, with that said and an early notice we hope there will be a showing this year. At this show it's OK to go out in you boat and enjoy the great scenery and local flavor this area has to offer. The Dora canal, the many watering holes and nearby Mt Dora.
Really nice rooms at the nearby Mission inn http://www.missioninnresort.com/ about 7 miles away has a pool, hot tub, billiards and great food at a reasonable price. Plenty of parking too. There are also closer places and cheaper rooms too.
You can contact me if you like at bertsboat@mindspring.com

Registered for event, Hotel reservations made, can't wait to meet everyone! Add 1 more Classic 18 to the mix!

bertsboat
02-26-2015, 11:56 AM
So far......

14' Baby Bert Harris From St Augustine
14' Baby F14 Scott Baxter From Miami
16' Ski Sporter Craig Ferber
18' Classic Sid Whiteside from Sebring
21' Hornet 2 Jim Haas From Miami

22' Donzi George Carter Leesburg
19' Bench The Ledonne’s from Pittsburgh
19’ Chris Craft Super Sport The Ledonne’s from Pittsburgh

Correct me if I am wrong please

bertsboat
02-26-2015, 06:03 PM
So far......

14' Baby Bert Harris From St Augustine
14' Baby F14 Scott Baxter From Miami
16' Ski Sporter Craig Ferber
18' Classic Sid Whiteside from Sebring
21' Hornet 2 Jim Haas From Miami

22' Donzi George Carter Leesburg
19' Bench The Ledonne’s from Pittsburgh
19’ Chris Craft Super Sport The Ledonne’s from Pittsburgh

Correct me if I am wrong please

Sidney073
03-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Who is planning on attending both the CLassic Raceboat Association event on the 20th - 22nd, & the ACBS Event on the 27th a 29th?

bertsboat
03-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Sid Whiteside and I will be there at both and there are usually at least two more Donzi's at the CRA

bertsboat
03-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Donzi's made the poster this year

gcarter
03-17-2015, 10:02 AM
I drove by the Lake Harris ramp in Leesburg this morning and there appears to be plenty of water this year.
I've seen it about 4' lower so the conditions are good.

bertsboat
03-17-2015, 12:11 PM
I wish the show were today! I am getting excited now.
You coming over for the race boat regatta this week end?

http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2015/03/15/you-officially-now-have-an-excuse-to-race-down-to-lake-dora-on-friday-yes-this-friday/

gcarter
03-17-2015, 12:49 PM
I wish the show were today! I am getting excited now.
You coming over for the race boat regatta this week end?

http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2015/03/15/you-officially-now-have-an-excuse-to-race-down-to-lake-dora-on-friday-yes-this-friday/

No, I'll be working on a certain red boat.

Sidney073
03-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Bert,
Can we watch the races from our boats in the water? Do they close the Dora Canal at any time during the event? If we can't watch from the water, will there be a display area for the boats?

bertsboat
03-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Dora canal always open. You can watch from water and I think you can dock at the east end of the marina and walk in but you will have to purchase pit passes to see the pits.
See you there. Leaving later this afternoon. Good weather till Sunday afternoon.

Sidney073
03-21-2015, 05:27 AM
A family medical issue, & surprise birthday party keeps me home on Saturday, but will be there Sunday. Plan on putting in around 9:30. Can't wait!

Sidney073
03-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Well just got a call from work, emergency equipment failure so I have to work tomorrow. I just can't believe my luck! I've already told them next week I'm out of town Friday till Sunday ..... Have fun and be safe.

bertsboat
03-22-2015, 08:12 AM
It was fum...

bertsboat
03-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Two more. ..

woobs
03-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Great pics! Looks like an awesome time.
I am envious of those that could attend!

gcarter
03-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Bert, Jim, et al. I still don't know if I can get my boat into the water by Thursday or friday.
I just sent an email to the Sunnyland chapter to see if it's too late to change to land display.
Bert, if you have any influence w/the chapter, could you check on this?

BUIZILLA
03-23-2015, 08:07 PM
GC, i'm out, had an engine issue over the weekend...

bertsboat
03-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Since the in water displays are sold out I am sure they will display you on land where it is not sold out. Scott Baxter isn't going to make it either. The Hornet is there already. We are meeting a few friends at the Dora ramp at 1 PM tomorrow if you can come by. First time in the water for a few boats.

Bert, Jim, et al. I still don't know if I can get my boat into the water by Thursday or friday.
I just sent an email to the Sunnyland chapter to see if it's too late to change to land display.
Bert, if you have any influence w/the chapter, could you check on this?

Sidney073
03-25-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm driving up Friday morning, should be there around 11:00 - 11:30 to do the lunch cruise hopefully. Will probably put in at the ramp on 441 near the Dora canal and either wait there or come over Lake Dora. Can't wait!!!

Sidney073
03-31-2015, 06:15 AM
Had a great time at the event, weather was an issue on Friday, but Saturday & Sunday were great! Got to run around Lake Dora on Sunday, what an awesome area! Learned to register early, and request an outside or unblocked slip. Boat next to mine had loosened up and was forward where I didn't want to try to get by it on Saturday, but we enjoyed the boat show, & vendors.
Will definitely plan on attending next year.

gcarter
03-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Had a great time at the event, weather was an issue on Friday, but Saturday & Sunday were great! Got to run around Lake Dora on Sunday, what an awesome area! Learned to register early, and request an outside or unblocked slip. Boat next to mine had loosened up and was forward where I didn't want to try to get by it on Saturday, but we enjoyed the boat show, & vendors.
Will definitely plan on attending next year.

I saw your 18C, and looked for you but was unsuccessful.

Sidney073
03-31-2015, 11:31 AM
My wife and I took in the boats & vendors, and restaurants at the park. George, I forgot your contact info, our folding chairs, spare prop, and fenders in the garage. It was our first time at this show so we were looking at all the boats. My wife wants an Amphicar! Lol