PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting my old Donzi back1

Bigbroadjumper
01-02-2015, 08:05 AM
I have the opportunity to get my old Donzi 18 2+3 and Magnum 25 Sport back. The guy I sold my boats to back in 1998 health is failing and he wants me to have the boats. They have been stored covered outside since and I believe are in distressed shape. On one hand I believe it would be like turning the clock back but on the other hand it will be very depressing to see what they have become.

I see all the wonder restroations members have done here with their late 60's and early 70's Donzi's and that gives me hope.

I guess I'm looking for advise. I will have to pop the top off the Donzi to fix all that's wrong... I guess there is nothing that can't be fixed if you have the time and money.

Thanks,

jl1962
01-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Go for it!

To me, these boats are a nostalgia trip.

I too enjoy reading the restoration threads even though I think only a small portion of us has the wherewithal to do one right. But on some level - that's not what's most important.

Our old blue Ski Sporter may still be out there - who knows? If I found it, I would probably try to save it - even though I need another boat or project like a hole in my head......

Good luck and keep us posted.

Morgan's Cloud
01-02-2015, 09:36 AM
I'll be particularly interested to see the pics of the Mag seeing I have one .

Bigbroadjumper
01-02-2015, 09:46 AM
My old Magnum is a 1973 red and white, twin engine (Volvo AQ170B / 270 OD). When I sold it I was in the middle of rebuilding the port engine. Everything was original and very nice. My wife made me get rid of them because we had too many boats!

The boat is still in Illinois and lived behind my father in laws barn. 16 years of snow, ice, rain, heat, cold, racoons and how knows what else. UGH.... the seats are gone and I would imagine the both motors are dead.

I will try to post some pictures.

Ghost
01-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Crossing my fingers that it's not too bad. If the structure is all good, sounds like it may not be too bad. If the transom sand stringers (or worse) are bad now...

Ed Donnelly
01-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Go for it. That way you will not have to edit your profile.
Since retirement my most fun is getting people to spend their money L.O.L. .Ed

mphatc
01-02-2015, 09:04 PM
My old Magnum is a 1973 red and white, twin engine (Volvo AQ170B / 270 OD). When I sold it I was in the middle of rebuilding the port engine. Everything was original and very nice. My wife made me get rid of them because we had too many boats!

The boat is still in Illinois and lived behind my father in laws barn. 16 years of snow, ice, rain, heat, cold, racoons and how knows what else. UGH.... the seats are gone and I would imagine the both motors are dead.

I will try to post some pictures.

My Magnum 27 was stored as you described for 14 years . . also a twin engine boat . . twin engines are more then 2 times the work of a single . . expect to replace anything that's not fiberglass . . The Donzi isn't as rare as the Magnum . . both are wonderful boats . this is a BIG decision, as neither will cost less than the return . . you're looking at an adventure where the cash is being burned and time away from family is a huge sacrifice . . all of this has been said here many times . . I preach this in my daily business of building and restoring cars, yet fall victim of this myself, constantly getting myself into projects I shouldn't be in or that take too much time from what I really want to be doing . .
Good Luck in your decision, it will be the right one for you!

Mario

woobs
01-02-2015, 11:33 PM
OTOH, if these are truly the boats you want... there is no time limit.

I restored my 18' wooden boat in a project that lasted over 5 years and cost much more than the boat could be sold for. However, I'll keep it forever.... well at least as long as I live. During this 5 year restoration time I had an 18 2+3 to drive that I fell in love with but, sold it for financial considerations anyways.

I have since replaced the 18 with a 16 Ski Sporter project that I do not currently have the resources to complete. I have decided that over time I will be able to complete this boat.... there is no completion deadline. It may be done in retirement. And it will be cheaper than therapy.

Furthermore, due to my current lack of disposable resources, I will undertake the majority of the required procedures myself despite never working with fiberglass (and some other things) before. If I do not possess the knowledge or skills required to complete a task I will undertake to educate myself and learn how (probably by looking at George Carters TR thread :) ). I have a boat to drive now, the tough part is sticking to the commitment on the 16. This part is especially tough as I have always wanted a 24 Pantera and have already passed on a perfect project.

So, again; if these are the boats you want long term... go for it.