PDA

View Full Version : 22zx - extension box

doubleduece donzi
12-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Looking to get feed back on how the 22zx stepped hull responds to raised x. Weather it be by - extension box or shorty lower. My boat is 1999 bbc bravo

Lenny
12-10-2014, 12:04 AM
The 22 ZX Stepped hull "did" have a tendency to scare people in turns in the spin out issue when drive trimmed wrong for the turn.

Losing some prop bite while dropping the bow to do the same thing as above I think might be a little more scary.

Let the smart ones chime in. I know of a few that purchased new shorts after a run with stock Bravos and the above scenario. I think a shorter drive or higher X would compound the " nuance" .

???

bigmc69
12-10-2014, 01:26 PM
agreed totally. When I had my 22zx it did get a bit crazy in turns especially tight turns on the Bayou's here in Louisiana. I spoke to some other 22ZX owners that raised the x-dimension with a shorty and or and immediately changed back to the stock set up. The 22ZX needs very little trim with the stock setup. IMO I would leave well enough alone.

doubleduece donzi
12-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the replys . I'm aware of the handling issues with this hull,being prone to or possible spinout in turns. Especially with tabs down.
Raising the x creates less drag but decreases stability. Does anyone have any edjecated guesses on how a raised x with addition off an 12in stand off box would perform on this hull? How would standard hight extension box would do. A few years back there was a 26or so zx" silverback" decked out (raised x ,extension box big power ext.) he made outrageous speed claims, 110 mph I believe? I don't believe the 110mph claim for a second but input on how a stock 26 zx performs compared to 22zx along with how the moded 26 performed would be a starting point.

doubleduece donzi
12-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Thanks for all the amazing knowledge and input guys. No wonder this forum is dead. My 22zx is getting a 540ci face lift.

Ghost
12-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Not a lot of 22zx guys around, even in the peak of this site's attendance. Think I've seen 4 or 5 folks over the last 7ish years. Just not a boat many of us have or know well I think. 540 sounds fun but suspect you may be blazing some trails.