PDA

View Full Version : 1992 OMC King Cobra conversion to Mercruiser Bravo

MooresDonzi
10-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Hey Gang,

Not sure if I'm committing a sacrilegious act here, but I have access to an Mercruiser HP500 EFI motor, CMI exhaust, gimbal/transom assembly and Bravo 1 outdrive - Can anyone confirm if my existing OMC 454 motor and OMC King Cobra drive can be swapped out? I've read on some other bulletin boards that the keyhole for the OMC King Cobra will accommodate the Bravo 1 drive with the need to drill two additional mounting holes at the top of the keyhole, but thought I'd get some feedback from you folks!

Thanks in advance!
Larry

1992 22' Classic OMC 454 / King Cobra drive
*(previously had a 1996 22' Classic w/ 502 EFI-Bravo 1 and kick myself everyday because I sold it!):bonk:

gcarter
10-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Your boat may end up slower for the trade.

Trueser
10-11-2014, 07:57 AM
I think that is correct.

JayZ
10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
George, no way he'll be slower after putting in an HP500 EFI motor. ...I know what you meant that the Kings are a faster drive.

For the OP, If it doesn't break the bank I'd say do it. My understanding is that the hole cut out is very similar and that you only need to drill one additional hole to make the conversion.

You can also just hook up the HP 500 to the King Cobra drive but if it's a package deal I would suggest that for ease of conversion/install you just put the whole mercruiser package.

gcarter
10-12-2014, 10:13 PM
George, no way he'll be slower after putting in an HP500 EFI motor. ...I know what you meant that the Kings are a faster drive.

For the OP, If it doesn't break the bank I'd say do it. My understanding is that the hole cut out is very similar and that you only need to drill one additional hole to make the conversion.

You can also just hook up the HP 500 to the King Cobra drive but if it's a package deal I would suggest that for ease of conversion/install you just put the whole mercruiser package.

Of course you're correct Jay. Dr. Dan, who used to post a good bit here, had a KC and a HP 500 that would do over 80.