PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with an 18C looking to trade/ up for a 22C?

Pat McPherson
10-03-2014, 11:42 AM
We seem to use our little 17' Aqua-Sport a whole lot more than our 22' Classic. I need to have a "hot rod" to rip around in so my thoughts are to trade/sell down my 22' for an 18' Classic and trade/buy up my little 17' cc for a 20/21' cc.

f_inscreenname
10-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Hummm... Interesting, I have a 18 that I'm trying to get finished, still waiting exhaust to come in (no hurry now that fall got here). Never even put fuel in the brand new tank yet.

Pat McPherson
10-03-2014, 12:56 PM
I'd want a mild not wild small block Chevy and a Merc out drive. Not looking for a big project either...:)

craigdskilling
10-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I have a 18 but its pushing 600hp and a Blackhawk drive .that wouldn't be interesting would it.it only does in the 90's.:yes:

f_inscreenname
10-05-2014, 05:06 PM
I'd want a mild not wild small block Chevy and a Merc out drive. Not looking for a big project either...:)

It's not necessarily a project and maybe not exactly what you were looking for but worth a look (just because I like showing it off, lol). It was/is a project I started last winter. Got it Jan. I then spent a month out of town re-doing a house this winter then spring took forever to get here and then I blew my boats 496 just before the boat show this June or ...... basically it's been an overdue project from the start (I figured 6 months max) and now that fall is here I'm in no hurry at all even though (when I get the risers back from the shop) it would take about 15 minutes to get it ready for it's first test drive but with the motor nice and dry and in hibernation already and no fuel in the tank to worry about I think I'm better off to put the whole thing on ice until next spring.:yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWiQ3pmaW0w&feature=youtu.be

DONZI-DON
10-05-2014, 07:22 PM
It's not necessarily a project and maybe not exactly what you were looking for but worth a look (just because I like showing it off, lol). It was/is a project I started last winter. Got it Jan. I then spent a month out of town re-doing a house this winter then spring took forever to get here and then I blew my boats 496 just before the boat show this June or ...... basically it's been an overdue project from the start (I figured 6 months max) and now that fall is here I'm in no hurry at all even though (when I get the risers back from the shop) it would take about 15 minutes to get it ready for it's first test drive but with the motor nice and dry and in hibernation already and no fuel in the tank to worry about I think I'm better off to put the whole thing on ice until next spring.:yes:

How could you sell something you put that much Blood - Sweat - Tears in :bonk:

That came out SWEET!

f_inscreenname
10-06-2014, 12:08 AM
How could you sell something you put that much Blood - Sweat - Tears in :bonk:

That came out SWEET!

Not done yet but thanks.
How? I've done a few in the past. Had some fun with them and then passed them on to new owners. Didn't make much money but they at least paid for themselves and they were fun to do. The last time I was actually trying to down size on how many I still have and ended up with the Donzi as part of a deal. With the market like it's been, is still and I'm afraid the way it's going to be for a while to come restoring classic boats is a losing money endeavor. I've been lucky on a few of them by having a left over motor or something from one of the boats I'm keeping but if I really added up the money without the left overs from other projects I'm sure I'm in the red. So already having a deep v runabout Nova 19 I think the Donzi is going and maybe another boat (Biesemeyer) if I can’t figure it out and I'm just going to be an everyday boater for a while with the 24 and 19.
But ……
Not that I could pass it past the wife being it would be another boat for boat trade and not cash to pay off some of the bills that comes from these boats but for me a trade between two in the same depressed market both being on equal ground peaked my interest and to me is almost better then cash for both of us but like I said it’s not done yet so maybe I spoke up a little early.

You can see a few of them at ResurrectionMarine.com (http://www.resurrectionmarine.com/)

Pat McPherson
10-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Real Nice Restoration!
What's she worth?

f_inscreenname
10-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Real Nice Restoration!
What's she worth?

Thanks!
Not a clue. Could have had it for pennies on the dollar when I found out I had the wrong flywheel and the whole project was on hold for a month until I got the right one. I've seen prices all over the place lately and like I said it's not done and wont be tested until spring so I never researched/felt out what I should sell it for.
Got a almost new and never used then rebuilt 454 with a decent cam, lifters, roller rockers, polished air gap intake, Edelbrock 750, Merc 496 exhaust, etc, etc. It's a strong but not over built BBC. Used it for 1/2 a season in my Biesemeyer and it still would be there if I didn't find a pretty historical motor that's in it now. Should never have to beat on the motor to make the Donzi go fast and easy cruising speeds should be pretty respectful also.
The boat originally came with a Volvo 280 and then someone tried (and succeeded from what I understand) to make a Frankenstein trim system for the outdrive. To keep as original looking as possible I did a Volvo 280T transom shield. The most versatile and simple to work on shield that will add trim to all Volvo Pentas there is. They are rare but worth the hunt and a Volvo Penta should be able to easy handle 500hp leaving room for future motor upgrades but the boat shouldn't need it.
It's not perfect but it's local boat show worthy and I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it's couldn't win it division at least.

Pat McPherson
10-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Years ago I had a 18 with 320HP/350sbc and Volvo 280. The boat ran great but finding parts for the 280 was either difficult or expensive. I also didn't like that she didn't have trim. I traded the boat plus cash for a 1987 20' Minx with 350Mag Alpha. While the Alpha is not as tough as the Volvo, having trim and parts easy to come by worked better for me. To each their own...

Last year there was a late 70s, I think 79, 18' that had been restored and repowered with a 400HP/383 and Bravo shortie for sale in the 15K range. I believe there is a mid 80s repowered with 400HP/383 Bravo for under 13K for sale now. As with every boat, they are worth what you can get...

What's my 22' Classic worth?
1996 with 250 total hours, 502Mag with something less that 250hours, Gil Exhaust, K-Plans, bla bla bla, 2004 Alum trailer.
$20K - $25K ??
I wouldn't sell at $20K but I would at 25K...:lookaroun:

f_inscreenname
10-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Years ago I had a 18 with 320HP/350sbc and Volvo 280. The boat ran great but finding parts for the 280 was either difficult or expensive. I also didn't like that she didn't have trim. I traded the boat plus cash for a 1987 20' Minx with 350Mag Alpha. While the Alpha is not as tough as the Volvo, having trim and parts easy to come by worked better for me. To each their own...

Last year there was a late 70s, I think 79, 18' that had been restored and repowered with a 400HP/383 and Bravo shortie for sale in the 15K range. I believe there is a mid 80s repowered with 400HP/383 Bravo for under 13K for sale now. As with every boat, they are worth what you can get...

What's my 22' Classic worth?
1996 with 250 total hours, 502Mag with something less that 250hours, Gil Exhaust, K-Plans, bla bla bla, 2004 Alum trailer.
$20K - $25K ??
I wouldn't sell at $20K but I would at 25K...:lookaroun:

I seem to be able to find more cheap Volvo parts then I need so that is one reason I tend to stay with Pentas. Without trim it wouldn't be a second thought but with I almost prefer it to many others.
Man those Donzi's hold their value. 25K would be a lot more then I would ask for the 18 and I couldn't even think about asking the wife to trade a boat for another boat plus a chunk of cash to make it happen. Ahhhh pipe dreams. lol. Hope you find someone that can make the trade for ya. Not often you see someone who wants to downsize which could be a great opportunity for someone. If you sell it and are still looking for a 18 ....

Pat McPherson
10-10-2014, 01:45 PM
I seem to be able to find more cheap Volvo parts then I need so that is one reason I tend to stay with Pentas. Without trim it wouldn't be a second thought but with I almost prefer it to many others.
Man those Donzi's hold their value. 25K would be a lot more then I would ask for the 18 and I couldn't even think about asking the wife to trade a boat for another boat plus a chunk of cash to make it happen. Ahhhh pipe dreams. lol. Hope you find someone that can make the trade for ya. Not often you see someone who wants to downsize which could be a great opportunity for someone. If you sell it and are still looking for a 18 ....

Yes, I agree the Donzi Classics do seem to hold their value.
I hunted for my 22C for nearly 2 years before buying. 22s with stock BBc and Bravo drives that are in good shape/not projects start at $20K. The 18s seem to be a little more reasonable; maybe there are more out there. There are definately more 18s that have been restored to some degree that are good deals; yours being an example...

drick
10-14-2014, 02:06 PM
We seem to use our little 17' Aqua-Sport a whole lot more than our 22' Classic. I need to have a "hot rod" to rip around in so my thoughts are to trade/sell down my 22' for an 18' Classic and trade/buy up my little 17' cc for a 20/21' cc.

I have a 86 Classic that you may be interested in, my email is drick3234@gmail.com
thank you, Carl Reichelt

Pat McPherson
10-15-2014, 03:10 PM
I have a 86 Classic that you may be interested in, my email is drick3234@gmail.com
thank you, Carl Reichelt

Hi Carl,
Are you looking to trade/buy up from an 18’ to a 22’ Classic?
Where are you located?
Details on your boat?
Thanks,
Patrick

Pat McPherson
10-17-2014, 07:41 AM
thank you, Carl Reichelt

Great Looking 18' Carl!

We got the CT River Run this weekend so I'll take some recent pics of mine...:cool:

02RedWS6TA
10-17-2014, 09:50 AM
If you're looking in the spring and I can't find a Tantrum I'd be interested.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4683410696.html

Pat McPherson
10-18-2014, 10:00 AM
She got a bath for ct river run.

Pat McPherson
10-21-2014, 02:51 PM
She ran great during CT River run last Sunday. Top speed of 72 on phone gps, 4 guys, full tank.
I ran antifreeze thru and plan to pull the drive this coming weekend.
$25K if someone would like to buy. Please no lowball offers.
My cell (860) 227-7513

3rdDonzi
11-18-2014, 09:33 PM
I have a '95 18 Classic. 350 Magnum Alpha. 155 Hrs.
Boat is perfect. Would entertain the thought of trading for a 22 if it were in equal condition.
Is it a fresh water boat? Hrs?
3D

Pat McPherson
11-19-2014, 11:26 AM
My boat has 278 hours; I bought her with 199. Used both in fresh and salt but I belive 80%+ fresh; there is no salt water corrosion. I'm the 3rd owner so...

3rdDonzi
11-19-2014, 05:59 PM
My boat has 278 hours; I bought her with 199. Used both in fresh and salt but I belive 80%+ fresh; there is no salt water corrosion. I'm the 3rd owner so...

I hope you didn't get the impression that I'm dumb enough to think trading an 18 for a 22 wouldn't cost me money.

Your boat is beautiful. Looks as nice as mine but I'm going to pass due to the possible 20% or more salt water history. I lived in South Florida for a long time and did a lot of boating there. Dealt with many salt water / salt air problems, a lot that aren't evident without exploring or tear down.

I consider mine to be a good find. It went from the factory to Lake Tahoe. One owner and then to me with 51 hrs. on it. I would love to have a 22 and I'm sure if a 22 came along with a comparable history it would ring the bell but I'm pretty happy with the one I've got.

Thanks for the response.
Bests,
3D

Pat McPherson
11-21-2014, 08:20 AM
I hope you didn't get the impression that I'm dumb enough to think trading an 18 for a 22 wouldn't cost me money.

Your boat is beautiful. Looks as nice as mine but I'm going to pass due to the possible 20% or more salt water history. I lived in South Florida for a long time and did a lot of boating there. Dealt with many salt water / salt air problems, a lot that aren't evident without exploring or tear down.

I consider mine to be a good find. It went from the factory to Lake Tahoe. One owner and then to me with 51 hrs. on it. I would love to have a 22 and I'm sure if a 22 came along with a comparable history it would ring the bell but I'm pretty happy with the one I've got.

Thanks for the response.
Bests,
3D
3D, please don't be offended by my post; others have gotten a different impression.
Your boat is exactly the 18' I'm looking for. I had a 1975 18' in yellow about 20 years ago. If you decide to sell, please let me know...

3rdDonzi
11-21-2014, 12:29 PM
No offense taken, will let you know if I ever do.
I had a '74 X-18 in yellow also that I would like to have again too.

yeller
11-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Your boat is beautiful. Looks as nice as mine but I'm going to pass due to the possible 20% or more salt water history.
I certainly wouldn't let the 20% salt use turn you away. Just because the boat has been in salt water doesn't mean it has issues. Personally I would thoroughly check a boat that had been moored or stored next to salt water, because corrosion can happen fast. But as long as the boat is stored several blocks from the water and was flushed after use, there will be no issues. I have been boating in the salt for 30 years and you will not be able to find any signs of it on my boats. Even when I tore down 15yr old engines, they were super clean with absolutely no signs of salt

Pat McPherson
11-24-2014, 11:26 AM
I certainly wouldn't let the 20% salt use turn you away. Just because the boat has been in salt water doesn't mean it has issues. Personally I would thoroughly check a boat that had been moored or stored next to salt water, because corrosion can happen fast. But as long as the boat is stored several blocks from the water and was flushed after use, there will be no issues. I have been boating in the salt for 30 years and you will not be able to find any signs of it on my boats. Even when I tore down 15yr old engines, they were super clean with absolutely no signs of salt

If 3D wants to pass because she's seen salt, it's certainly his prerogative...

My boat originally came from the Harrisburg PA area and then to a marina/dealer in Annapolis for a very short time. I bought the boat from MDG performance in Annapolis. Dave went thru the boat with a fine tooth comb with the intention of keeping it for his own toy. He only ran her a couple of times, maybe only once. I convinced Dave to sell to me after many chats, the boat was never truly on the market.

I boat 90% in the CT River and venture to the LI Sound 3-4 times per year. The salt is 12 miles south so she alway get flushed on the way home; then a bath when back on the trailer.

yeller
11-24-2014, 07:18 PM
If 3D wants to pass because she's seen salt, it's certainly his prerogative...

My boat originally came from the Harrisburg PA area and then to a marina/dealer in Annapolis for a very short time. I bought the boat from MDG performance in Annapolis. Dave went thru the boat with a fine tooth comb with the intention of keeping it for his own toy. He only ran her a couple of times, maybe only once. I convinced Dave to sell to me after many chats, the boat was never truly on the market.

I boat 90% in the CT River and venture to the LI Sound 3-4 times per year. The salt is 12 miles south so she alway get flushed on the way home; then a bath when back on the trailer.I have no doubt your boat is in great shape. It's too bad there are so many misconceptions about boats that have seen salt water.

f_inscreenname
11-24-2014, 11:12 PM
I have no doubt your boat is in great shape. It's too bad there are so many misconceptions about boats that have seen salt water.

I agree. It's all on how you take care of them. I have 2 ACBS award winning boats (another that came in second twice) and they are all kept outside (full covers), I live 500 feet from and I use them all the time in brackish water.

Pat McPherson
11-25-2014, 08:42 AM
It's too bad there are so many misconceptions about boats that have seen salt water.

I love running out in the blue water a few times per year. Last year, I took her to Block Island, RI; 12 miles off the coast in the Atlantic. If it makes my boat less desirable to some, oh well, worth it to me...:cool:

The right buyer for my 22' will come along, and I'll find a nice 18' to take her place. If it doesn't happen for next season or even the season after, I'm good...:)

3rdDonzi
11-29-2014, 06:16 PM
I don't necessarily have "misconceptions" about salt water. I love salt water boating and would enjoy taking mine to the shore for some fun. Wouldn't hesitate. With flushing an good cleanup there is NOTHING wrong with salt water.
It's obvious from the pictures that Patrick takes care of his boat and it appears to have the best of care. He shared that he was the third owner and not sure about exposure from the first two. Was it flushed every time it was used or did it sit for months between use with salt water in the jackets?? Who knows? Still not a big deal, I guess I'm just too satisfied with the one I have
3D

Pat McPherson
05-13-2015, 09:17 AM
I pulled my 22C out of storage this past weekend. She'll get a tuneup, new raw water pump impeller, lube change, and a coat of wax... Should be ready for Memorial Day weekend...:)

Pat McPherson
08-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Still using the 17' Aquasport about 3 times as often as the 22' Donzi...:rolleyes:

f_inscreenname
08-05-2015, 11:24 AM
you could just buy mine. :shades:

Pat McPherson
08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
you could just buy mine. :shades:

yours would be on the short list...

Pat McPherson
09-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Running strong...

Pat McPherson
10-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Ran her on the hose then winterized yesterday...
The hour meter now reads 303 so 25 hours logged in 2015 and 105 hours added since I bought her 3 seasons ago...

Pat McPherson
05-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Plan on installing the drive and battery this weekend. Should be ready to rumble by Memorial Day.:cool:

chip w
06-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Pat, why were you thinking of going to an 18 from a 22? I've been thinking about moving up to a 22 but maybe my thinking is flawed. I mostly use the boat on a small lake for skiing and tubing but when I get the time I like to get out on Tampa bay for the occasional blast.

Pat McPherson
06-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Pat, why were you thinking of going to an 18 from a 22? I've been thinking about moving up to a 22 but maybe my thinking is flawed. I mostly use the boat on a small lake for skiing and tubing but when I get the time I like to get out on Tampa bay for the occasional blast.

This will be my 4th season with the 22C. I bought her with 199 hours and she now has 303. That's approx. 25 hours per year. We log more than 75 hours per year on our little 17' Aquasport. I don't feel that the Donzi get's used enough to justify the expense and think it would be better to go larger on the CC and smaller on the hot rod...

As for an 18' vs a 22' - I've owned them both; the 22 is obviously much better in rough water and the 18' is better for towing skiers.

I haven't gotten to the point where I have really pushed to sell; I've only posted this one thread and not advertised anywhere else...

Carl C
06-15-2016, 06:57 AM

Great video/slide show!

Pat McPherson
08-12-2016, 10:57 AM
I brought my 22C home for a little maintenance.:wrench:

She got a new dist cap, rotor, and plugs... never got to it this Spring and she was running great so...
Also, changed the oil filter and topped off oil... I do this 1/2 way thru the year; I know probably a waste of an oil filter...
Topped off drive oil and check other fluids. Greased the trailer wheel bearings.
Washed her and waxed the sides last night. Need to wax the deck tomorrow and then back to the marina for the second half of the season...:cool:

I still have not gotten excited about the selling process; it's such a PIA...
Would still like to trade for the right 18C...:yes:

chip w
08-16-2016, 01:43 PM
I still have not gotten excited about the selling process; it's such a PIA...
Would still like to trade for the right 18C...:yes:

Every time you mention this i start thinking that maybe i want a 22 instead of my 18. Sigh. i really like my 18 though.

Pat McPherson
08-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Every time you mention this i start thinking that maybe i want a 22 instead of my 18. Sigh. i really like my 18 though.

I've owned them both and the performance of the 22' with a BBC is great; better than an 18' with a SBC in my opinion.

My biggest reason for wanting to downsize is storage. I store our 22' Donzi on the trailer at a marina and it sits for weeks at a time without being used. If I had an 18, I could keep it at home in the garage. This would save $$ and it would be home for me to tinker with.

The other reason is that I'd like a larger CC; something in the 21-22ft range. We are members of a small boat club and I could keep a larger CC on one of our club moorings. The 17' AquaSport we have now I leave on the trailer at the club, thinking it's too small to be left on a mooring. We use the CC at least 3X the Donzi.

mrt12
08-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Hey i have a 16 and a 18. Might be interested in your 22 text me at 2013048661

Greg Guimond
10-02-2016, 11:28 AM
She ran great during CT River run last Sunday. Top speed of 72 on phone gps, 4 guys, full tank.
I ran antifreeze thru and plan to pull the drive this coming weekend.
$25K if someone would like to buy. Please no lowball offers.
My cell (860) 227-7513

Someone needs to give your $25k Pat.

Pat McPherson
10-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Someone needs to give your $25k Pat.

Old post/price Greg... Actually, I've been telling the locals that have been asking me - $22K firm.

Hours meter now reads 331 with 2-3 more planned before she gets winterized after the 2016 CT River run on 10/16/16.

If I don't sell, the boat will get a steering upgrade this off season. I've also already purchased new trim tap switches (that whole switch up for "bow down" thing bugs me) and a new full cover...:yes:

Pat McPherson
11-14-2016, 09:20 AM
No longer looking for an 18' Donzi.
I would likely sell my 22' Donzi if given $22,000.
This is a firm number.

Pat McPherson
09-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Well I did finally sell my 22C and will be looking for an 18C as a replacement...

Not in a huge rush to replace, but if the right boat pops up...

In the mean time, I guess I'll be fishing off our little Mako...

Pat McPherson
11-23-2020, 06:23 AM
Well, few years in the making...

Greg Guimond
11-23-2020, 06:29 AM
Trip was a success and now home in CT ?

Pat McPherson
11-23-2020, 07:38 AM
Trip was a success and now home in CT ?

Yes Greg.
First two pics from pick up Friday afternoon in Illinois. Second two are in my driveway on Sunday morning.