PDA

View Full Version : Need help with HAWKEYE D10 Deepfinder

DONZI-DON
09-28-2014, 06:58 PM
This unit was already installed when I bought the boat 2 months ago. I had no problems with it until yesterday. I was running with some friends in dirty water (rough) and I was probably out of the water as much as I was in the water. I hit a wave and got the boat airborne and it landed smoothly back in the water running about 45mph. I noticed that the reading went to "- - -". I was out in the boat today and out of nowhere it started reading again and by past experience by location the readings appeared to be correct. Then it was in/out all day, some times it was working and sometimes it just read "- - -" Any idea what could be causing this????8095380954

hardcrab
09-28-2014, 09:19 PM
transducer knocked out of position, air/turbulence disturbing signal

DONZI-DON
09-28-2014, 09:32 PM
What's the fix since it is epoxied in position?

John C in PA
09-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Sounds like you may have a loose wire connection and the landing dislodged it just enough to cause a temporary loss of power.

John C

DONZI-DON
09-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Sounds like you may have a loose wire connection and the landing dislodged it just enough to cause a temporary loss of power.

John C

Definitely not a wire. Traced from LCD to direct power at key splice. And had Male to Female connector with rubber snap in boot from LCD to Transducer and hard wired directly into the transducer in transom. I'm wondering if all the pounding has done damage to the sealed transducer????

John C in PA
09-28-2014, 11:23 PM
I think transducers are moulded into a solid and have no moving parts inside. You may want to power up the depth finder then jiggle the wires between the head and the transducer and the power while watching the meter face. Just tryin' to help.

John C

DONZI-DON
09-29-2014, 04:29 PM
I think I may have figured this out. I had some time today to take a better look at the way the transducer was installed from the previous owner. As stated in my original post it was working fine for the first 2 months and then this past weekend when I was running hard with some friends with much bigger boats (22' & up), I was keeping up with them but had some good AIR-TIME and after all the jarring around from the waves :bonk:the depth finder stopped working.

What I noticed today is the person that installed it with epoxy, he made a "Epoxy Wall" around the transducer so I guess he could set it in the pocket and epoxy it into place that way. The transducer was sitting loose it the pocket of epoxy so I'm guessing that was the issue put wont know until I get her in water again, but I'm betting that is it.

hardcrab
09-29-2014, 04:50 PM
not sure what the epoxy wall set up is, but if there is an air pocket under the transducer, you can use mineral oil in the "well" that the trans sits in to eliminate air