PDA

View Full Version : Criterion II is home and engine and drive out.

Scott Pearson
09-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Got the engine out yesterday and the boat home. Had to put new tire on the trailer for the 102 mile haul. Now i need to just get my ass in gear and get it cleaned up, trailer painted and new engine and drive installed.

I took a buffer to a spot on the deck with some very light polish and it came right up. Cant wait to hit it with some heavy compound and see how well it comes up. The original gel should really polish up great!

Tammy likes it too...have some making up to do now that I sold WaLo....she really liked that boat. I hope she likes this one as much when its done!

mattyboy
09-27-2014, 09:08 AM
now you own one of every benchseat donzi ever made

looks good should be nice once you're done

Morgan's Cloud
09-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Understanding how you like to do things , this out to be a total bomb when it's done.

Do you anticipate any unexpected surprises .. yeah, it's a redundant question :biggrin.:

Has the gas tank been done on this one , for example ?

superhatz
09-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Scott...any plans to remove the name? And if so, won't it be hard to get rid of the 'ghosting'?

Cool boat.

gcarter
09-27-2014, 02:28 PM
To not be redundant to Steve's post, Scott, I'm sure you know all the shortcomings of early 22 hulls (and, yes Mabel, there are a few). I'm sure you'll take care of all of 'em.

Scott Pearson
09-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Name will be coming off...than sanded and buffed. It's only a decal so I hope the ghosting isn't to bad. I'm just going to clean the hell out of this one and run the balls out of it. I'm hoping the gas tank just can be flushed. Remember this boat has sat for 20 plus years so maybe it might be a good thing for the tank.... Or maybe not.

I plan on filling the transom and running another BBC but with a Bravo drive. I'm sure I will need to play with a lot of things on this one because of how the weight of the deck configuration is.

Admeister
09-27-2014, 04:07 PM
I plan on filling the transom and running another BBC but with a Bravo drive. I'm sure I will need to play with a lot of things on this one because of how the weight of the deck configuration is.
What do you mean by " filling the transom?" Just curious

Scott Pearson
09-27-2014, 04:22 PM
TRS is a different cut out than Bravo. So the old hole will need to be filled.

joseph m. hahnl
09-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Nice:kingme: !!!
Is that a rope Hatch in the front?:confused:

gcarter
09-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Nice:kingme: !!!
Is that a rope Hatch in the front?:confused:

It's an electrified pop-up docking light.
I've never seen one on eBay, only on these old Donzis.

Scott Pearson
09-29-2014, 03:12 PM
George,
I had a little time to really poke around the stringers and transom on the boat and its amazing how solid everything is on this boat. Last time this was in the water was 1993 and I sold it in 1989. It still has the NJ registration numbers on it.

The transom will be new since I will be replacing for a Bravo setup. But if I wanted to stay with the TRS it would just be plug and play.

MDonziM
10-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Wow, cool boat Scott, good luck with it. That's great that the stringers are solid, can't wait to see pics of the progress.

McGary911
11-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Very cool Scott. I've been dormant on the boards for a while, so it was great to see that you picked up a 'Crit. What weeds in Jersey did you drag it out of? Does the bow light work? I hope you still have the 18.

Ill tey tey to check in more often to see how this turns out.

Scott Pearson
11-21-2014, 05:30 AM
The boat was in Maine for the last 20 years and ended up in North Jersey sitting in the back of a large equipment yard. The bow light is all there but there is a crack in the hinge assembly. Not sure if anything works yet since I have not hooked a battey up yet.

My plan is to get it cleaned up and repower it. Then just use the crap out of the thing!

McGary911
11-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Good deal. I got my 'Crit in Maine as well. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

Scott Pearson
11-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Its a mess and needs a good scrub down. :cool:

Ed Donnelly
11-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Wonder what happened to the original engine.
Spray the crap out of those push button switches as they are very
Expensive to repair and only come out of Europe now...Ed

Scott Pearson
11-23-2014, 06:58 PM
I have the original engine and drive. It was all together less turbos. Engine and drive are shot. Never winterized and froze...rusted...just junk. Real shame.