PDA

View Full Version : Noisy drive

joseph m. hahnl
09-13-2014, 04:33 PM
I noticed a howl coming from the Minx. So I replaced the gimbal bearing . Took it out for a rip The howl is still there. I pulled the drive ran the engine "No noise" Put the spare yoke assembly into the fly wheel and gimbal bearing ran the engine "No Noise" The U joints on the drive seem good , but not sure if I should put my spare yoke assembly on and test it. I suspect the upper gear bearing as the tone changes ever so slightly when I turn the steering wheel. Any ideas?:worthy:

MOP
09-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Pull the drain plug check for debris and odor.

joseph m. hahnl
09-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks Phil. I already drained and replaced the oil. There was the normal amount of metal on the drain plug magnet. I did the U joints to eliminate them as the source. I also added a high shear oil additive. It's a little quieter "on the hose anyway" It's definitely noisy in the upper, I can hear and feel vibration on the cap plate:garfield:. I guess I'll try replacing the vertical bearing first:lookaroun:

VetteLT193
10-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Is the noise always present or only when in gear. if only in gear F and R?

joseph m. hahnl
10-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Yes :yes: it's there all the time get's louder with throttle:frown: It's a SEI upper. Funny ,"But Not" the Merc lasted 24 yrs the SEI lasted until the warranty ran out :bonk: