PDA

View Full Version : 1992 OMC King Cobra complete drive

miike
09-05-2014, 12:09 PM
1.43:1 gears for 454 or 460 motors, can work on others with the right prop. Fits 1988-1994 boats. Will be an upgrade for 1988-1990 because those drives have dog clutches and this is the strong cone clutch model. Includes transom assembly, trim rams, complete sterndrive, oil cooler, fuel filter housing, bell housing, trim pump, ps cooler.

THIS STUFF IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AT STORES!! If you have a King Cobra boat with a bad drive, buy this package. It includes a complete set of running equipment you cannot get elsewhere. This deal includes everything that might break. Drive was recently serviced and resealed! Clean bill of health from the OMC mechanic. Includes Y-pipe, a hard to find exhaust block off plate (I got the last one in the country 2 years ago).

This drive turns 4500 rpm with no problems. I have current gopro HD video of it running.

Currently on a 1992 Donzi 22 Classic, a very light boat which results in very low loads and an easy service life and 400 hours of use. This drive has 15 years of life left in it. Shifts great. Clutch inspected and good.

Normal wear and tear, decent skeg, running outdrive, still on my boat, parting out.

The unit is still on my boat and I will have my mechanic remove it which will take a couple weeks.

MooresDonzi
10-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Hey miike - are you doing a motor/drive swap? I have the same year 22' Classic w/ OMC 454 and King Cobra set up looking to swap out for a Mercruiser HP500 and Bravo one power train

JayZ
10-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Didn't you just go through all this and hook up some 600 HP beast in front of the drive?

Why the change now? -just curious as another KC boat owner.

miike
11-14-2014, 01:37 PM
The 600hp blew up in the first hour.

It's an HP500 now. I want to do a -2 drive and I can't get shorter with the King Cobra.

MooresDonzi
11-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Hey Mike,
What challenges did you encounter when you did the OMC King Cobra swap? Specifically with the transom - Also I have an older Imco -2 drive with low water pic up for sale, but I'm in California