PDA

View Full Version : 22' Classic - Which of these would you buy & why?

yorkey
09-03-2014, 04:18 PM
All fresh water boats

Option1- 1996 Blackhawk- 330 hours
http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/eeeneOnOOPOFFnHHdH/Donzi-22-Classic-BlackHawk

This guy was original owner, has paperwork from Donzi. Seems to have cared for the boat well, but has it on a roller trailer (which scares me a little) says he lives on the lake and the boat has never been to any other lake but that one. So he uses this lousy trailer to launch but not transport anywhere. My impression is, he is truly an enthusiast and probably took care of it.

Option2- 1996 Blackhawk - 200 hours
http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/FeeHOCnFOmHUCePHdOP/1996-Donzi-Marine-22-Classic-Blackhawk-Gilford-NH.
He says he's the 3rd owner. Says it's a very fun boat, in excellent condition. Selling to put the money toward a big, go fast Donzi.

Option3- 1989 very clean, NOT a black hawk, carbureted engine- 12 hours
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/22924 (use this link only for the photos, he replaced the engine and did not renew the ad, he says he's about to winterize and store until next season. boat now has 540 Dart block, full build sheet and warranty would be provided to me, Bravo 1 drive. I've heard the 89' is a good solid Hull (but not sure if that's true).

Thanks guys!

DONZI-DON
09-03-2014, 07:37 PM
The first one is on Ebay right now (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donzi-22-Classic-BlackHawk-/271584167754?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f3bad874a&item=271584167754&pt=Power_Motorboats) . Watch the Auction and see where it ends before you contact him or make an offer. Bad time of year to sell a boat, GREAT time a year to buy a boat! For me that boat is a little to much "PERSONALIZED" to the owner with all that Graphics & Cartoon Crap.

The second one for me looks like it has been "DRIVEN HARD AND ALWAYS PUT AWAY WET"! Here's my take, if your selling something you need to do (2) things.
(1) Clean the HELL out of what ever your selling so its at least looks like you took care of it.
(2) And this is my rule on boats. I judge alot about the boat by the TRAILER!. If the trailer is nice then you know HE/SHE must have taken the same care with the boat..........That trailer looks RUFF, and the foggy pictures.....EEEEHHHH

The third one would be my choice. BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK and looks like a well maintained boat.....

JUST MY 2 CENTS - Good Luck with the decision and let us know which door you picked 1, 2 or 3

roadtrip se
09-03-2014, 09:00 PM
All fresh water boats

http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/eeeneOnOOPOFFnHHdH/Donzi-22-Classic-BlackHawk

This guy was original owner, has paperwork from Donzi. Seems to have cared for the boat well, but has it on a roller trailer (which scares me a little) says he lives on the lake and the boat has never been to any other lake but that one. So he uses this lousy trailer to launch but not transport anywhere. My impression is, he is truly an enthusiast and probably took care of it.

http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/FeeHOCnFOmHUCePHdOP/1996-Donzi-Marine-22-Classic-Blackhawk-Gilford-NH.
He says he's the 3rd owner. Says it's a very fun boat, in excellent condition. Selling to put the money toward a big, go fast Donzi.

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/22924 (use this link only for the photos, he replaced the engine and did not renew the ad, he says he's about to winterize and store until next season. boat now has 540 Dart block, full build sheet and warranty would be provided to me, Bravo 1 drive. I've heard the 89' is a good solid Hull (but not sure if that's true).

Thanks guys!

Option One is Putty Tat. Last time I saw it, it was in great shape. It has been through three owners that I am aware of. Nice running boat. My suggestion? You need to decide whether you want a standard 22 or a Blackhawk 22. They are night and day different in what they are and what it takes to run one. Go into it eyes wide open.

Tidbart
09-04-2014, 08:54 AM
What roadtrip said. A Blackhawk and 22 Classic have different hulls. There is a big difference between a 22 Classic w/Blackhawk drive and a Blackhawk boat.

Mr X
09-04-2014, 08:57 AM
If it was me, I would buy Tidbart's 22. Way nicer than any of the others.

Lenny
09-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Is option #2 a Blackhawk " original " boat with rocker hull or a 22C with a BH drive ?

Yes, rollers scare me too.

As Todd said, the BH original rocker boats are a handful and big water doesn't work very well with them from the experience I have had in them locally.

I (personally ) would lean towards a 22C hull.

BUIZILLA
09-04-2014, 09:30 AM
IMO, forget the Blackhawk, it's fun for the first 30 minutes, then you'll have buyers remorse...

i'm not sure where your located, BUT...

x2 on Tidbart's boat, I have been in it several times, and for the same money as the 1989 listed your getting a much newer, known, and well dialed in package.

HTH !!

yorkey
09-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi guys

Thank you for all of your input. I really appreciate it. I had heard that the blackhawk is quite a bit different than the standard classic, but it does sound fun and fast. I was thinking of test driving one of those before making a decision on which way to go. The cartoony one is a little closer for me, so I might make the journey to see what the blackhawk feels like. I figured, the black and white one could actually look pretty good, but the graphics must go :-).

In regards to Tidbart's boat, I do not see a listing for his boat being for sale. I PM'd him about that. Do you guys know where his online listing might be? Thanks for the tip on that, guys, I really appreciate it!

Jeff

BUIZILLA
09-04-2014, 10:41 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?69955-1997-22-Classic-502-Mag-MPI-Bravo-with-trailer

yorkey
09-04-2014, 11:15 AM
I see it now, thank you very much. I've seen his ad on the web actually. I'll correspond with him to learn a little more. Thanks so much.

What do you guys think about the difference between a '89 Hull and a '97 Hull? Anyone have any input on whether or not it's true that the older one is actually a thicker, stronger hull than the newer ones? Someone who said they were relatively informed on Donzi history told me that the older ones, manufactured in the mid to late 80's (made before the Donzi brand ownership changes started) was a better built boat. But then I've also heard that the Chris Craft era ('92-94"?) was a better build than the earlier Donzi originals. Finally, I also heard that, newer ones don't have a wooden stringer support system anymore (but not sure how new he meant, that might be a VERY recent development?).

What do you guys think?

The '89 I'm looking at (option 3) is an attractive option to me, as it appears to be quite clean, it's the classic color scheme I like. If the build sheet checks out and the engine builder is reputable, then it seems like a nice engine option for power and his Bravo 1 should handle it (I think). I look forward to hitting 78MPH GPS in a classic! Mine would hit only about 57MPH GPS, while I was all by myself on the best, glassy morning!

Thanks again guys!

Lenny
09-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Mine would hit only about 57MPH GPS, while I was all by myself on the best, glassy morning!

Thanks again guys!

the glassy part is a drawback. Gotta get outta the water and get on top.. :)

I second Buizillas statements re: BH's unless you plan on "glassy mornings " for the the rest of your BH ownership timeline. Also, if you have a wife and kids, AND a BH, you probably won't have in short time :biggrin.:

yorkey
09-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Guys, what do you think of these specs? See attached.

Thanks everyone!

MOP
09-04-2014, 02:07 PM
#3 would be the more interesting of the bunch, it should run in the 80's and make you stain your shorts like a Blackhawk.

gcarter
09-04-2014, 03:56 PM
What do you guys think about the difference between a '89 Hull and a '97 Hull? Anyone have any input on whether or not it's true that the older one is actually a thicker, stronger hull than the newer ones?

Thanks again guys!

Some '89's were built by Chris Craft and I've been told they were very good. Others, and earlier boats weren't necessarily as good.
'94 and later were built by American Marine Holdings and are superior to most all earlier boats.
The real differences are the stringers on the pre '94 are closer together and the engine mounts are bolted to the outside of the stringers. '94 and later boats built by AMH had the stringers further apart and the mounts mounted between the stringers to (maybe) allow taller engines.
The only downside to some later (after 2000) boats was the larger (bottom) panel between the wider stringer spacing and larger engines suffered from cracks in that area. Many were successfully repaired.
There were numerous changes AMH made to keep cockpit floors from cracking and other support issues. I personally like the AMH boats.
BTW, Tidbart's boats is a very solid boat and very well maintained. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy his boat.

Lenny
09-04-2014, 05:34 PM
I wonder if TidBart ( Bob ) is still running that VHF antenna on the boat ?

:biggrin.:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79851&d=1402510739

DONZI-DON
09-05-2014, 08:12 PM
I thought that was a flagpole.:bonk:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-05-2014, 11:15 PM
I wonder if TidBart ( Bob ) is still running that VHF antenna on the boat ?

:biggrin.:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79851&d=1402510739

That optical illusion got me the first time I saw the picture. :boggled:

Lenny
09-05-2014, 11:19 PM
LOL, 'jus trying to add some flavour ( sorry for the "U" but I'm Canadian... )

:)

jl1962
09-06-2014, 04:14 AM
Sloop rigged?

I thought all 22s were yawls.

Very nice boat either way, although the sails do get expensive......

:boat::biggrin.:

gcarter
09-06-2014, 09:41 AM
22's also come with handy fore and aft eyes for fast rigging of the stays.
In fact, they're strong enough to lift the boat with. :)

Tidbart
09-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Funny that you guys are laughing about the "antenna". Actually, the boat came with 2 antennae. A vhf, and a gps antenna. They were both mounted through the hatch, with 2 gaping holes. I found a photo of it, they were the first things to be remove. George helped me fill the holes and gave me my first lesson in gelcoating.

blackhawk
09-06-2014, 02:39 PM
All fresh water boats

Thanks guys!

As stated, the Blackhawk is a different beast. IMO, Donzi put too much rocker in the hull and made the boat flighty in certain conditions. However, if you want a "driver's boat" that is fast and loose, the Blackhawk can be an absolute blast to drive. In consistent water it will shine, in confused water it is a handful.

fysis
09-07-2014, 01:45 PM
As stated, the Blackhawk is a different beast. IMO, Donzi put too much rocker in the hull and made the boat flighty in certain conditions. However, if you want a "driver's boat" that is fast and loose, the Blackhawk can be an absolute blast to drive. In consistent water it will shine, in confused water it is a handful.

Blackhawk. Do you or anybody out there have close ups on the Blackhawk rockers for comparison

yorkey
09-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi guys

I emailed the seller and asked him if his boat is an actual Blackhawk 22 with the "rocker" hull or if it was simply a 22 classic with a black hawk drive on it, his answer was as follows:

"My Donzi has a "hooked hull" and is technically not compatible with the Black hawk drive."

I do not know what a "Hooked Hull" is... do you? Knowing this new found information about this boat (this is boat option 1 on my original post) I believe he's saying this is not a Blackhawk 22 Hull.... but what is it??

Thanks guys!

Jeff

VetteLT193
09-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Hook is the opposite of rocker. Think of it as a built in trim tab that is down.

Lenny
09-08-2014, 08:47 PM
The seller provided the wrong answer. 22's ( classics ) have none, Blackhawks have rocker, about 2" over 8' if my reference and dimension taking ( actually doing it ) were correct.

This boat needs a site visit... Hull number will help immensly.. A 22 Classic with a BH rocks but bring the power. The real BH boat is a different animal and I don't think folks that own 'em want a whole lot more....

I know I wouldn't

VetteLT193
09-10-2014, 10:29 AM
The seller provided the wrong answer. 22's ( classics ) have none, Blackhawks have rocker, about 2" over 8' if my reference and dimension taking ( actually doing it ) were correct.

This boat needs a site visit... Hull number will help immensly.. A 22 Classic with a BH rocks but bring the power. The real BH boat is a different animal and I don't think folks that own 'em want a whole lot more....

I know I wouldn't

They weren't intentionally built with a hook. Seems that the consensus is most have some regardless :nilly:

blackhawk
09-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Blackhawk. Do you or anybody out there have close ups on the Blackhawk rockers for comparison

I don't think I do. I sold mine long ago and can't recall if I took any pics. Going off memory there was a slight rocker the last 6' or so of the boat

blackhawk
09-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Hi guys

I emailed the seller and asked him if his boat is an actual Blackhawk 22 with the "rocker" hull or if it was simply a 22 classic with a black hawk drive on it, his answer was as follows:

"My Donzi has a "hooked hull" and is technically not compatible with the Black hawk drive."

I do not know what a "Hooked Hull" is... do you? Knowing this new found information about this boat (this is boat option 1 on my original post) I believe he's saying this is not a Blackhawk 22 Hull.... but what is it??

Thanks guys!

Jeff

It sounds like this is a normal Classic hull with a blackhawk drive. As stated, they are not intentionally built with a hook, but many of them do have hook.

I think a few people have tried this with mixed results. IMO the X dimension is too low.

MOP
09-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Ask for a better shot of the transom, the one in the ad is blurry but the tips do look high.