PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 Beam of 84 inches - More Beam Questions

BOSTONCAMARO
08-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Ok, I posted about this a long time ago and appreciate the responses, but I have some more info and questions.

Our 92 Sweet 16 has an advertised beam of 82 inches and we think that is very accurate.

Our canal connecting our pond to the big lake is 83 1/4

Classic 18s have an advertised beam of 84 inches. In general it seems most rub rails are a half inch on either side of the boat.

How much of the length of the boat would be 84 inches, is it for 2 inches of length, 4 inches of length a foot? more?

I appreciate the information, I built a wooden gauge and checked the canal all over and it is 83 1/4. If I can get an 18 down to 83 by taking rub rail off it could be an option. Also if needed, if we find a boat that it hurting cosmetically, maybe give it a little shave, re-glass, re gelcoat / paint boat etc as need be.

We really want to get into an 18 with a Small Block Chevy, maybe throw a built motor in eventually as well as we do a good share of building cars and racing.

Here is our 16 in the tunnel / canal..a cement saw really isn't an option :(

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/599987_10150977013288110_2023848984_n.jpg

bertsboat
08-25-2014, 08:14 PM
You need to put skateboard wheels on the rub rail. Then the wheels will roll on the walls. Plenty of height. You could add a fly bridge. Or...you could do this

hardcrab
08-25-2014, 08:25 PM
I was going to suggest greasing the rub rails and WOT on thru ! :eek:

that is a damn shame ...... so close!

Greg Guimond
08-25-2014, 08:28 PM
A few weeks ago I came down from bucolic CT on my 16 into NY Harbor. I decided I had to explore the Gowanus Canal, one of the most polluted canals in the US. I felt that if I did that my motor would live a long life from all the lubrication. I got myself into the same spot as that picture, except it was real and the Brooklyn natives were restless. It's hard to find an area that is rough anymore in the 5, but I could have used some rub rail rollers on my way back out as I was about 2" from each side of the tunnel. I would suggest a simple solution - get non-mark inserts of delrin for both sides then if you scrape no big deal.

Greg Guimond
08-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Be sure you get silent choice on your 18. I have a ROS mid with open exhaust on the 280 on the back of the 16 and that thing almost blew out my eardrums through that tunnel :eek:

DONZI-DON
08-25-2014, 08:45 PM
I was going to suggest greasing the rub rails and WOT on thru ! :eek:

that is a damn shame ...... so close!

I'm thinking WOT and set Port Side Trim Tab all the down, and Starboard Side Trim Tab all the up.....:doh:

BOSTONCAMARO
08-25-2014, 09:48 PM
we walk the boat through, 25 feet is all....there is paper thin carpet up..need to replace carpet on one side...anyone able to help with my questions, thanks....to fit an 18 no question rub rail needs to come off...maybe custom rub rail out of flat bar stock alum....countersunk hsrdware, wetssnd, polish rail then install

Just Say N20
08-26-2014, 05:58 AM
I'm pretty convinced the only way to really know is to get an 18 there and try it.

It would seem to me that tipping the boat, or rolling it on it's side slightly makes more sense than going through all the work you suggest to gain so little reduction in width.

Greg Guimond
08-26-2014, 07:45 AM
You could sit on top of the gunnel and see if the hull list buys you those inches as N20 suggests. If you're 200lbs plus that will help, 300lbs and your probably golden.

As to the rub rail idea. The boat is only max width at a certain point. The easiest way to determine that is to stuff the boat and trailer against a straight block warehouse wall, square it, and then on the other side get a 4x8 sheet of plywood against that rub rail and a level. That will tell you where the max beam point is and how many linear feet that max point actually is. Then start measuring. Depending on how many linear feet you come up with cut a 2x4 an eighth inch proud of that and bring it on down to your tunnel to test. If you don't have a fixed wall, bring two sheets of plywood to the 18.

The 18s owner will be telling that story for a looooong time after.

BOSTONCAMARO
08-26-2014, 08:29 AM
wow, I am blown away, mind blown...with all the thinking I have put on this I never thought maybe just leaning down on one side of the boat with a couple people might give it the room to pass through

I posted on craigs to see if someone is in the area that would come try putting their boat through. I did make a board the correct with and will soon attach a 90 at each end, to use the board as a gauge to drop over an 18 see if it fits etc, but as you guys mention, just need to gte a boat down and try it.

I wish someone here was in the Boston / Maine area, the lake is a fun place, could make a day out of it. I am pretty stout at 6/1 240, pretty muscular, work out and run daily....I also enjoy moonlit walks and puppies (oops wrong site) :)

Thanks for the info and ideas...

Greg Guimond
08-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Remember that when these boats were built the layups and decks were not precise.

Be sure to measure the 18 YOU WANT TO BUY or you could be in a world of pain if some guy at the factory flexed the deck mold a little too much 40 years ago and you end up 1/2" wider. Now that would REALLY suck!!

:hangum:

mattyboy
08-26-2014, 10:02 AM
the 7 foot beam starts just at about the front edge of the back seat bottom and carries fwd to about a foot fwd of the dash so it is about 5 feet right in the middle of the boat.

yes you might try laying one side down low with a weight shift but you would need to be religious about not letting the high side drop. i can just see someone forgetting and moving to the other side to get something and wedging that 1/2 inch stuck right in the middle

cut a 2x4 to 7 foot heavy strap it to the 16 grab rail just fwd of you and see if you can get thru

BOSTONCAMARO
08-26-2014, 12:09 PM
yeah we will research it more, anyone want to come to Maine with their 18 :)

mike o
08-26-2014, 01:13 PM
yeah we will research it more, anyone want to come to Maine with their 18 :) She will in a second :yes: Driving me crazy trying to find a man :kingme:

OOps, wrong :kingme:

Conquistador_del_mar
08-26-2014, 01:17 PM
She will in a second :yes: Driving me crazy trying to find a man :kingme:

OOps, wrong :kingme:

Ouch!

Morgan's Cloud
08-26-2014, 02:27 PM
. I am pretty stout at 6/1 240, pretty muscular, work out and run daily....I also enjoy moonlit walks and puppies (oops wrong site) :)

Why did I hear the tune from the infamous 'Pina Colada song' when I read that ..:biggrin.:

(OK , ya gotta find humor in the weirdest places on some threads. )

BOSTONCAMARO
08-27-2014, 10:23 AM
haha good one :)

Marlin275
08-27-2014, 02:36 PM
A few weeks ago I came down from bucolic CT on my 16 into NY Harbor. I decided I had to explore the Gowanus Canal, one of the most polluted canals in the US. I felt that if I did that my motor would live a long life from all the lubrication.

I tried Newton Creek, Superfund site, for the fun? of it and it was interesting . . .

f_inscreenname
08-27-2014, 07:36 PM
How often do you have to go thru this thing?

BOSTONCAMARO
09-05-2014, 01:50 PM
twice a day, well if heading into the big lake

we are on a small pond about a mile long, but once through the tunnel it goes into a much larger lake system

Admeister
09-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Looks like Mousam lake??