PDA

View Full Version : Clunk! Bang! Click!

TBroccoli
07-31-2014, 02:27 PM
Heard this heart stopping "clunk" sound when trying to start engine. Let go of key for a few seconds and tried again. This time the engine started fine. The following week the same thing happened. Any idea what it could be? Loose starter bolts? Bendix gear not engaging all the way? Broken flywheel tooth(s)? I havent investigated anything yet.

hardcrab
07-31-2014, 03:03 PM
knee jerk reply ; starter

joseph m. hahnl
07-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Bad head gasket, Water in the cylinder. I blew up the high torque starter on mine:bonk: I had white smoke billowing out of one bank, Kind of a dead give away, but i insisted on totaling the starter:yes:

TBroccoli
08-01-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm hoping hard crab is right. Once engine starts it runs strong. I'll be checking it out this weekend.

mario
08-01-2014, 09:10 AM
water in cly pull the plugs and check them manifolds and riser could be leaking water in cly I see it all the time

TBroccoli
08-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Even if engine runs great once running??

DONZI-DON
08-01-2014, 08:44 PM
I just bought a SWEET 16. Was running great then all of a sudden running rough. Def pull plugs and see if water comes out when you turn it over or if plugs are dripping with water like mine were. START WITH THE RISERS! 4 bolts and you will have an answer. If no water do a leak down, could be head or manifold gasket.

TBroccoli
08-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Can I start over? When I turned the key to start the engine I heard a clunk sound. Like metal hitting metal. I immediately let go of the key. Then I turned key again to start engine and everything worked perfect. Engine started and ran strong. The same thing happened a week later.

Is it really as bad as some of you are suggesting? Or is it a starter/flywheel issue?

hardcrab
08-02-2014, 12:10 PM
knee jerk reply ; starter

still leaning this way

donzidon
08-02-2014, 06:44 PM
It could be the starter if the only thing you hear is the clunk - no crank movement and straining against compression. I had similar symptoms with a bad starter in my car many years ago.

However, really expensive things can happen if there is water leaking into the cylinders: bent valves, cracked block, pistons rusting in the cylinders while it is parked, etc. I think you really want to follow the advice above and check for water without delay.

Running well is no guarantee. I lost the motor on my 18 last year due to a bad cylinder. The yard found water in the oil after I pulled it out at season end. Motor never ran better than on that last run.

DONZI-DON
08-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Have to agree with ya on that one. Same thing with Race cars. I don't get it, just before they blow they run stronger than ever. :bonk::bonk:

Definitely not a riser gasket if you here metal on metal.

It could be the starter if the only thing you hear is the clunk - no crank movement and straining against compression. I had similar symptoms with a bad starter in my car many years ago.

However, really expensive things can happen if there is water leaking into the cylinders: bent valves, cracked block, pistons rusting in the cylinders while it is parked, etc. I think you really want to follow the advice above and check for water without delay.

Running well is no guarantee. I lost the motor on my 18 last year due to a bad cylinder. The yard found water in the oil after I pulled it out at season end. Motor never ran better than on that last run.

Carl C
08-03-2014, 06:12 AM
Have to agree with ya on that one. Same thing with Race cars. I don't get it, just before they blow they run stronger than ever. :bonk::bonk:

Definitely not a riser gasket if you here metal on metal.

I think he meant the metal on metal sound of the starter hitting the flywheel but unable to turn over a hydrolocked engine and the riser could be the source of the water in some cylinders.

gcarter
08-03-2014, 06:52 AM
A starter solenoid on its last leg will do this. The solenoid will close with a clunk, but a good electrical connection is not made and nothing happens.
They're worth changing as they are in the $20.00 range and can be a cheap fix. Also, it can be changed w/o removing the starter.

BUIZILLA
08-03-2014, 07:36 AM
A starter solenoid on its last leg will do this. The solenoid will close with a clunk, but a good electrical connection is not made and nothing happens.
They're worth changing as they are in the $20.00 range and can be a cheap fix. Also, it can be changed w/o removing the starter.
+1 :wrench: :lookaroun:

TBroccoli
08-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the advise. Weather stinks here this weekend. I will get back at it soon

TBroccoli
08-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Could a weak battery be my culprit? I ask this because it has never happened when I have had both batteries paralleled. Both my batteries are old. One came whit the boat when purchased used in 2005. The other was installed in 2008.

gcarter
08-21-2014, 01:07 PM
The short answer is yes. Old batteries, and boat batteries in particular can suffer from lack of maintenance, and none of them last forever.

joseph m. hahnl
08-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Could a weak battery be my culprit? I ask this because it has never happened when I have had both batteries paralleled. Both my batteries are old. One came whit the boat when purchased used in 2005. The other was installed in 2008. Some times the battery has enough juice to throw the solenoid but not enough to crank. but when you kick it a few times you'll end up with it just clicking. If the riser is leaking it would always fill the cylinders that have an open exhaust valve. so I think it would do it often 1/2 of the time not once in a while. If it's the head Gasket, they usually blow between the middle cylinders. so only those 2 cylinders have to have the pistons below top dead center Note that they have back to back exhaust events which is why they blow out there. In this case it would happen a 1/4 of the time. :biggrin.: Your best bet is to replace the battery first as you can always use one some where, so it's not a waste of money:kingme:

Carl C
08-22-2014, 07:05 AM
You can buy a battery load tester pretty cheap. One of my two batteries went bad this year after 8 or 9 years of service. I load test them every spring and store them indoors in the winter.