PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire 24 questions

JayZ
07-30-2014, 09:47 AM
I have a line on a Spitfire 24 through a friend. No engines or drives...

Photos look good but assume the worst, what do we think the value is?

its not listed so i am not sure what they are looking for dollar wise.

Morgan's Cloud
07-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Without any pics I think it would be a very difficult call to make . But , there are one or two here who could be of help once they see this thread.

For me , the main thing is that if you're looking at a complete rebuild/resto-mod don't get too carried away worring about things like upholstery and guages . You must have all of the original hatches/ports and doors etc, stuff like that.
Upholstery and gauges are easy stuff to replace , along with engines .
If you're missing floor panels and hatches , that's a completely different issue.

BTW , I'd be thinking about a re-power with maybe one of the new 502's , or maybe that wonder engine from Volvo

JayZ
07-30-2014, 03:37 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?65770-Help-Requested-identifying-a-DONZI&highlight=Spitfire

Same boat I posted here

gcarter
07-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Bill Stephenson (Old Red Alert) has one and it has been in the process of restoration for several years (it may be finished, I don't know). According to Bill, it's a complicated hull that's difficult to repair. The liner isn't removable.
I remember his was for sale for about $10-$12K (I think) when he bought it, so a bare hull should be maybe $5-$8K depending on completeness, condition, trailer, etc.
Count on it being expensive to restore.
But they are beautiful. Graceful to the extreme.
These are only my musings and opinions.

Greg Guimond
07-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Same boat I posted here

So your saying that the exact same Donzi Spitfire 24 that you found back in 2011 is now for sale again (quietly) three years later, in the same condition? I always thought that model was the absolute best looking hull that Donzi ever produced. Really nice lines and at 24' just enough to handle the rough stuff but you can still fit it in the garage at the end of the day for storage. :yes:

Chase it!

joseph m. hahnl
07-30-2014, 09:17 PM
A Spitfire is a Harry Schoell design isn't it:biggrin.: I prefer the Wynn /Walters look myself:worthy:

JayZ
07-31-2014, 12:16 AM
So your saying that the exact same Donzi Spitfire 24 that you found back in 2011 is now for sale again (quietly) three years later, in the same condition? I always thought that model was the absolute best looking hull that Donzi ever produced. Really nice lines and at 24' just enough to handle the rough stuff but you can still fit it in the garage at the end of the day for storage. :yes:

Chase it!

Yep. I looked into buying it back when I bought my 22. Apparently they still own it and are thinking of selling it again. It's kind of a weird story but the only photo I have of it looks pretty good. I have yet to see it.

JZ

Morgan's Cloud
07-31-2014, 08:07 AM
A Spitfire is a Harry Schoell design isn't it:biggrin.: I prefer the Wynn /Walters look myself:worthy:

IMO as Harry's designs moved on past the Magnum 27 they slowly did come more to somewhat resemble Wynne creations.
He started incorporating more curves and softer lines and went to the rounded keel amongst other things.
I don't think he ever incorporated as much bow flare as any Wynne designs though.

The Spitfire is a beautiful boat though . I think it epitomizes everything Donzi up to that point in time considering the size it was .
Anyone who had outgrown their GT21 or C22 could easily move up to that and still have the best of all things Donzi plus with a semi functional CC up front .

gcarter
07-31-2014, 08:53 AM
I think I would prefer a single healthy BBC to twin SBC's.

olredalert
07-31-2014, 09:09 AM
----JayZ,,,The guys are pretty much right on the money regarding my Spitfire. I got sidetracked for a couple of years because of another bigger project (Fino) but Im bringing the Spit home soon to start assembly. The hull and deck are done, done, done, and every trace of wood in the hull is gone. The Spitfire deck is also completely molded to the inner hull deck as well. Engines and drives are done and I have a bunch of the necessary parts, but not all. I did pay $12,000 for the boat when I bought it as it was running and driving and in decent shape. With what Ive learned from my El Pescador resto, and Marks 24 Doral I pretty much guarantee that the transom will be soft. As well,,, The 24 manufacturing method, and the style of the stringers makes it difficult, but not impossible, to go from a twin to a single configuration. The 24 line really shines with a couple of small-block twin Alphas though, because of the ability to trim if you don't care to go 75mph. My El P will run about 63-4mph with stock 2-barrel/Alpha set-ups, and that is enough for me in that boat. Since you will undoubtedly have to do over the transom on the boat in question, it would be my recommendation to switch to a light Mercruiser package. If you wanted to go a bit faster and boat in fresh water you could go to Bravos and lighten up the engine packages (aluminum heads, exhaust manifolds, and intake). Then you would have good balance, in my opinion. My Spit came with 280-TRS packages which Im reusing with much more horsepower, but are very heavy so Ive been lightening up everywhere I can.
----Spitfires don't grow on trees, so if you like the boat, buy it!!! Don't expect to do a complete resto and be able to turn around and get every dime of your money back. The vintage boating world doesn't work that way, but you will have a very rare boat that will turn heads absolutely every time you take it out and the ride is fantastic for a 24 foot boat. Harry S did a magnificent job when he designed the 24 line. If you have any more specific questions PM me your Ph.No. and Ill give you a call. Hope I have helped.......Bill S

smidgen too
07-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Here are some pic's of Bills Spitfires hull that is done & my Doral & what I found in my transom before I rebuilt it & after. These Donzis were poorly built with out full stringers. When Bill rebuilt his he had no wood & full stringers installed. My Dorals downfall was Donzi did not use enuff sealant on the transom hardware & the wood rotted out. I took care of that problem after I rebuilt it.

JayZ
07-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks All. I'm not sure if I'll actually get a chance to buy it or not. -working on that.

I'm not in the least bit scared of a rotten transom. That as far as I'm concerned is just a cost of doing business and not that big of a deal-breaker.

I am curious as to how well the boat would ride/drive with twin small blocks vs. a single big block. I know it would be lighter with just one engine but I am not certain how a single drive vs. twins would effect handling. ( remember I am a sailboat guy)

I'd like to see something north of 70mph for a max speed so that would be a consideration when re-powering. (should I get the opportunity to buy it)

I agree with what everyone has said. It is a sexy loooking hull. The water here on Galveston Bay can get pretty lumpy so it might be a real nice boat for around here.

JZ

Ghost
07-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Would think it is similar to my Cig 24 in these regards. FAR better with the big single. MUCH better boat all around. There's a reason when Cig brought the 24 back around 1980, they went exclusively to a big single. 425 hp stock motor will get you to 65 or better for max speed under ideal conditions. With twin small blocks you won't like the engine room. If that Spitfire tapers in at the transom like mine, you'll need a shoehorn.

JayZ
07-31-2014, 10:19 AM
That's true, I'm getting to old too get into those weird positions to work on things in tight quarters.

Would think it is similar to my Cig 24 in these regards. FAR better with the big single. MUCH better boat all around. There's a reason when Cig brought the 24 back around 1980, they went exclusively to a big single. 425 hp stock motor will get you to 65 or better for max speed under ideal conditions. With twin small blocks you won't like the engine room. If that Spitfire tapers in at the transom like mine, you'll need a shoehorn.

smidgen too
07-31-2014, 11:16 AM
With the rounded bottom that the Spitfire has I dont think I would like anything north of 65mph with a big single, I believe twins will be more stable with this hull.. As far as the engine room I have lots of room to work with twin engines & the engine bulkhead is removable to make working in there even easier. [see pic's]
Bills El Pescador runs great with stock twin Alpha drive small blocks, his Spitfire has two Tyler Crocket 400 + hp small blocks & Trs Drives that should push it well into the 70's safely.

smidgen too
07-31-2014, 11:51 AM
That's true, I'm getting to old too get into those weird positions to work on things in tight quarters.

That is very true that's why @ 61 I have learned to to work smarter. My Donzi's bulk head is removable & with my two 27' Magnums I have the back seat hinged making a tight engine bay workable.

JayZ
08-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Bill "oleredalert" your message box is full.

Ghost
08-01-2014, 04:51 PM
If stability is a concern with a single there's always the B3/duo prop option.

Your wallet will like a single too. I went from 360hp (180x2) to 425x1 and cut the fuel burn by 30% or more.

olredalert
08-02-2014, 09:36 AM
----Taken care of, Jay.........Bill S

JayZ
08-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Without any pics I think it would be a very difficult call to make . But , there are one or two here who could be of help once they see this thread.

For me , the main thing is that if you're looking at a complete rebuild/resto-mod don't get too carried away worring about things like upholstery and guages . You must have all of the original hatches/ports and doors etc, stuff like that.
Upholstery and gauges are easy stuff to replace , along with engines .
If you're missing floor panels and hatches , that's a completely different issue.

BTW , I'd be thinking about a re-power with maybe one of the new 502's , or maybe that wonder engine from Volvo

or two of those wonder engines from Volvo!!! ...that would surely blow the budget though.