PDA

View Full Version : GPS app for speed

Conquistador_del_mar
07-19-2014, 02:15 PM
I had a Motorola Razor cell phone for over 6 years, but recently had to get a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S-5) to be able to fly my Phantom drone. In case anyone is looking for a good GPS app to get their present speed and maximum speed, I can recommend the digiHUD at least for the Android phones - and its a free app. Lots of features and very quick to get your present speed and maximum speed. Now I can compare the pitot tube speedometer to GPS speed without having to buy and install a GPS speedometer. Just thought I would pass this along.

gcarter
07-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks Bill!
I just downloaded it and I'll check it out on the way home.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-19-2014, 09:22 PM
George,
Did you find the main menu where you can change a lot of settings? You enable your location, bring up the speedometer app, and touch the screen to bring up a list of options like brightness, color, etc. I'd like to know how you like it. I found out my 2009 Ford 3500 truck is 1-2mph slower than what the speedometer reads at 70mph which is about what I always figured.

fysis
07-20-2014, 04:11 AM
I had a Motorola Razor cell phone for over 6 years, but recently had to get a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S-5) to be able to fly my Phantom drone. In case anyone is looking for a good GPS app to get their present speed and maximum speed, I can recommend the digiHUD at least for the Android phones - and its a free app. Lots of features and very quick to get your present speed and maximum speed. Now I can compare the pitot tube speedometer to GPS speed without having to buy and install a GPS speedometer. Just thought I would pass this along.

Yes. I have my Galaxy S3 since last summer as a complement to compare speed . It´s very accurate and find the satelites in no time compared to my older Garmin models. However the S3 and the Garmins always ending up with the same topspeed given a few seconds there. (i have the S3 sat on MPH and the Garmins on knots since that what we use at sea over here in Sweden)

Greg Guimond
07-20-2014, 01:21 PM
fysis with the speeds you run I'm surprised the app does not blow up your phone :kingme:

gcarter
07-20-2014, 01:55 PM
George,
Did you find the main menu where you can change a lot of settings? You enable your location, bring up the speedometer app, and touch the screen to bring up a list of options like brightness, color, etc. I'd like to know how you like it. I found out my 2009 Ford 3500 truck is 1-2mph slower than what the speedometer reads at 70mph which is about what I always figured.

Yes Bill, I found the additional settings. This is pretty neat and the portability is very useful.
I also have an S5 and really like it. I only wish more LTE service was available where we are.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes. I have my Galaxy S3 since last summer as a complement to compare speed . It´s very accurate and find the satelites in no time compared to my older Garmin models. However the S3 and the Garmins always ending up with the same topspeed given a few seconds there. (i have the S3 sat on MPH and the Garmins on knots since that what we use at sea over here in Sweden)

Yes, those older handheld GPS were awesome at the time - technology has progressed at an incredible rate!

Yes Bill, I found the additional settings. This is pretty neat and the portability is very useful.
I also have an S5 and really like it. I only wish more LTE service was available where we are.

George, I'm glad to hear that you also like that app.

Last Tango
07-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Thank you for the tip on the HUD app!

Just downloaded it on my Galaxy S5. Looks pretty cool. I like how easy it is to modify the basic settings and reset it. Can't wait to try it on my boat. Stock speedo on the boat was never all that good. My handheld GPS is a Garmin 12 circa 1999, meaning pre-WAAS. I can now officially retire it.

I also like the smaller window version that can easily be moved to overlay any other screen you want to also see. Very handy.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Thank you for the tip on the HUD app!

Just downloaded it on my Galaxy S5. Looks pretty cool. I like how easy it is to modify the basic settings and reset it. Can't wait to try it on my boat. Stock speedo on the boat was never all that good. My handheld GPS is a Garmin 12 circa 1999, meaning pre-WAAS. I can now officially retire it.

I also like the smaller window version that can easily be moved to overlay any other screen you want to also see. Very handy.

:yes: Some of the new technology blows me away and I am a sort of nerdy guy with a background in electronics engineering technology. I'm glad you like it too.