PDA

View Full Version : New boats comprobable to donzi 16, 18 and cost???

bertsboat
07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Big discussion about 18’ Hornet value going on now. So if you want to buy a new boat what are the options and what are the cost?
Would they be better looking, better running, better quality and cost more or less than a restored Classic Donzi?

If your like me, you like the classics. When I am out in a classic I feel better. I look around at what there around me and I imagine the owner thinks his triple engine go fast do everything boat that set him back well into the six figure area is money well spent and the newest and best. He looks at my boat and askes me what it is and is it really that old. He has no idea that he too could have had one of these for a fraction of the cost with a cool factor 10 times what he has going on.
So, what are the options today? A new Chris Craft is OK at $70,000 A Ski Nautique $Over $1000000 ? Hornet marine $75000(similar to a classic but a bit more modern and stark looking) or what.
I have looked and for less than 100 grand I don’t see many options.

Help me out here.

Greg Guimond
07-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Bert, for me at least I see absolutely no reason to buy a new performance boat. There are just too many options out there that are almost better than new in the less than $100,000 range. They are fully sorted out and unique in most regards. I have always felt this way about boats even with the bank to buy new but that's just my view.

1989 Team Warlock 23 Offshore - $15,000
1976 Donzi GT-21 - $40,000
1980 Donzi TR-22 - $50,000

The look on the face of some guy who just spent a ton on a new boat only to get blown away - To Me ......... Priceless :)

woobs
07-16-2014, 11:06 AM
I like the Classics too... But, I'm also a "WoodyBoater" guy.

If I were to buy new today it would be the Chris Craft Lancer 20. Base is about $55K and for around 60K you can have it nicely equipped (Merc V8 + Bravo 3). However, My spec'd version online was $69K.

The Hornet Marine, Hornet 17 I priced out online was at $50,327 but, started at $35,517 which is a great value imho. Well worth consideration.

If I were considering a new "go fast" boat only... I like the Sutphen 21SSX but, I have no idea of it's cost and i can only assume it's north of 100K.

For a real significant boat that is great to drive, comfortable and rare... there is a 1976 Greavette Executive II currently on the market. The last one of only 6 Executive IIs built, and the last of the all wood boats produced by the last standing manufacturer of the original Canadian boat manufacturers (Greavette closed in 1980). This boat is currently available at $39K in water ready, with survey. Truly a special boat if there ever was one and considered by many to be the pinnacle of wood boat production.

Of the other 5, one is unserviceable with mechanical (and now hull/rot issues) and one has been modified from original configuration. Note** the picture is not the boat for sale it is one of the other 5.

mattyboy
07-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Not sure if you are looking for style and looks or flat out go fast performance.
Boats I would consider to be in the 16 18 market go fast. Forget looks and style as they are very personal as is what the buyer wants his boat to be and do
Sutphen 16 and 20
Tuff 16 and 21
Superboat 21
And probably the one with the best rough water handling go fast heritage defender boats new remake of the Apache 21 scout

I would consider these all entry level go fast that might meet a buyers needs and budget

Not sure if you are on social media or not but there are a few go fast pages where boats and parts come up for sale but there is a ton of smaller go fasts 22-28 feet that come up for sale that are priced right and seem to be in great shape. I saw a 27 and a 29 fever by me in mint condition with mild power and great trailers under 35k

So with that kind of used market the new market in entry level go fasts might be all but done

Fishermanjm
07-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Matty,,, 27ZR???

ralphcrocker
07-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I guess $ are relative to total assets but I still don't get blowing a ton on new. I have a TOTALLY restored magnum Maltese with twin blinged out 383 and Volvo 290 dual props. Will hit 65 but I rally go over 45. She is red and white and clearly a head turner 4 ago years $36000. It is like brand new and titled 2007. But new if you got the $ certainly helps the economy.

Greg Guimond
07-21-2014, 05:12 PM
There are actually a lot of performance boats available brand new in the 17'-21' range if Bert somehow needs to lighten his wallet with "new" only. They are all well under $100k :yes:

Sweet Cheekz
07-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Anyone on here considering a new 17' hornet for 50k please call me.
No disrespect to them
Parnell