PDA

View Full Version : hatch drain ??

mattyboy
06-30-2014, 09:36 AM
What is everyone doing for water drainage off the rear hatch?

the dual hatches on the hornet always let water in , even driectly over the motor and carb. I did use some weather stripping but it gave way I found some slim garage door sealer that I am using now for the center seam. The perimeter seam I am thinking of running a clear pvc tube around then drill /cut holes in the top so it is like an orangeburg pipe. Both ends of the tube will fit thru an unused fitting in the transom.

looks like a 7/16 OD 5/16 ID tube would fit siliconed into the base of the hatch lip should make the hatch less noisy too

any thoughts or other ideas

Thanks

gcarter
06-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Matty, your hatches are a "particular" problem!!!!
Mop posted a solution for single hatch Classics by flaring tubing and gluing them into the gutter drains.
I think, on yours, I'd consider having a gutter fabricated and integrated into the inner edge of one of
your hatches w/a drain tube at the aft end of the gutter leading off to the bilge somewhere. It would obviously require a procedure of which hatch had to open first.

MOP
07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
A 1000 Island heavy rain with the cockpit cover on can sink the boat, ran my batteries so low had to use both to start afterward. With this mod my pumps never ran again! One was piped into one of the two pump outlets the Stbd had its own drain.