PDA

View Full Version : windshields are for weenies

mattyboy
06-28-2014, 09:08 AM
just have to make it more like my 16

the plexi is shot and it didn't really like where the frame was in my line of sight so it is off for this season as a test.

mike o
06-28-2014, 07:30 PM
:cool!:

gcarter
06-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Looks good Matty.
The only windshield that ever worked was on the Minx.

jl1962
06-29-2014, 05:58 AM
Go for it!

The bugs in your teeth are a good source of protein too......
:rolleyes:

mattyboy
06-29-2014, 07:16 AM
George

this one worked too , and may be a bit to well. when we would drift or anchor it would get hot no breeze at all. Marie would ask to go for a blast just to cool off and she loves to fry in the sun. thinking about having it cut down but for this season we will run without it.

johnnywhale
06-29-2014, 07:38 AM
I went with the "frame only" option - never gets salted up!
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/johnnywhale/Donzi/IMG_1110.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/johnnywhale/media/Donzi/IMG_1110.jpg.html)

mattyboy
06-29-2014, 07:55 AM
never thought of that. Is your frame SS or alum? my Hornet lived it's first 40 yrs on the great south bay out of Bay Port LI so the alum is quite pitted before it goes back on the boat it needs to be addressed.

gcarter
06-29-2014, 09:51 AM
never thought of that. Is your frame SS or alum? my Hornet lived it's first 40 yrs on the great south bay out of Bay Port LI so the alum is quite pitted before it goes back on the boat it needs to be addressed.

Matty, think powdercoat!
For instance, on the TR project I wanted to unify details as to finish, so I had the W/S frame, deck joint J-rail, vents, hinges all powdercoated the same finish. They gave new life to 25 year old hardware and made an interesting monochromatic statement.
And it's reasonably priced.
Here's an example being modeled by Mr. Ciocci:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80024&d=1382133368

mattyboy
06-29-2014, 10:47 AM
looks good even chaci

i think that would be the way to go to soften the glare with a satin type finish over the raw or polished alum finish

Ghost
06-29-2014, 11:11 AM
George

this one worked too , and may be a bit to well. when we would drift or anchor it would get hot no breeze at all. Marie would ask to go for a blast just to cool off and she loves to fry in the sun. thinking about having it cut down but for this season we will run without it.

I hear you on that front. Always liked the Nova windshield's flip-up panes for this reason.

If you're looking for someone who could match the original curvature with new material, just yell. I ran into a couple of those by accident the other day doing some searching.

mattyboy
06-29-2014, 01:57 PM
thanks I'll keep that in mind

johnnywhale
06-29-2014, 02:56 PM
It's aluminum, I'm thinking about polishing it, maybe clear powdercoat over.
I have had a ton of stuff for my car done in the silver mettalic George suggested. Really, really, really "pops" in sunlight.
Off topic I'm three miles away from Bayport.

CHACHI
06-30-2014, 06:12 AM
George, of all the photos you have of that frame.................

Ken

Marlin275
06-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Matty, your boat looks more like a race boat without the windshield.

Good work!

mattyboy
07-05-2014, 07:35 AM
what a difference as soon as we hit the channel the breeze was great . makes getting to the front deck easier and the girls could sun on the front deck. we did get caught in a squall just like the 16 running at speed rain drops the size of shot glasses hurt like a mutha.

72Hornet
07-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Matty, I love the 16 and the 18 without a windshield as I think they look better proportioned than with the old style on the late 60's models. For the Hornet, it is such a beamy boat, that I like the look and what it does. I know for sunning and hanging out on the hook it can get pretty toasty. Damn, that had to bother you when Marie wanted you to blast around to cool off! LOL
If you are looking for a windshield restoration vendor place, I have found one in Pennslyvania that does aircraft and boat reproductions framework and all. I can give you the name when I dig it up if you are interested.