PDA

View Full Version : Paint Color

John Grinder
06-24-2014, 12:30 PM
I have a 2005 Classic 18, red and white. I am trying to identify the color code/name for both the red and white. Any ideas?

gcarter
06-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Do you know that it is painted?
Or is it gelcoat?

seano
06-26-2014, 08:26 AM
On my Minx we used Signal Red RAL 3001 gelcoat to respray the entire hull. To me it is as perfect a match to the original color as you will find. I worked with Rob from Raybo on Long Island who had the color charts that we matched to the hull. I removed the transom assembly to get the most complete spray job without masking around it while also using that opportunity to match to the original gelcoat that was under the transom assembly.

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/ral-3001-signal-red-color-gel-coat/colorgelcoat

hope this helps.

John Grinder
06-26-2014, 01:27 PM
I have a 2005 Classic 18, red and white. I am trying to identify the color code/name for both the red and white. Any ideas?

Seano/George,
Thanks for the responses! The boat is Gel Coated. I don't want to do a complete recoat, only a couple of small nicks probably only noticed by me. The Signal Red 3001 should be enough for me to match.

George, I live in Orlando and keep the boat up in Tavares.

jg

gcarter
06-26-2014, 02:32 PM
John, take a look here:
http://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm
Minicraft in Wildwood, can supply all these colors, and also supplies "Patch Paste" kits
that contain 1/2 pint of gel paste for repairs. Not cheap, but it is the right color.

I'm usually around my shop most all day Saturdays, and a few hours on Sunday mornings
working on my Donzi 22C Testa Rossa project, if you care to drop by. It's located at;
304 Richey Rd, Suite 3
Leesburg, FL 34748

My website and my email are below in my sig line

seano
06-26-2014, 02:44 PM
John, take a look here:
http://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm
Minicraft in Wildwood, can supply all these colors, and also supplies "Patch Paste" kits
that contain 1/2 pint of gel paste for repairs. Not cheap, but it is the right color.

I'm usually around my shop most all day Saturdays, and a few hours on Sunday mornings
working on my Donzi 22C Testa Rossa project, if you care to drop by. It's located at;
304 Richey Rd, Suite 3
Leesburg, FL 34748

My website and my email are below in my sig line

That's a great link George. I sent them an email regarding my 1985 18C. I need to do some touch ups and not sure what color the boat is... It is definitely tan...that much I do know... :)

yeller
06-26-2014, 04:05 PM
I used minicraft after George recommended them and they got my 04 yellow matched perfectly. If you're only doing small touch ups, I highly recommend the Patch Paste.

se7en
06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Can any body tell me the RAL color code for the white deck on a 1999 sweet sixteen, I'm in the U.K. and could source some over here if I had the RAL code,

gcarter
06-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Can any body tell me the RAL color code for the white deck on a 1999 sweet sixteen, I'm in the U.K. and could source some over here if I had the RAL code,

Since we're talking about gel, and not paint, Minicraft is about the only place to go.
Your only other option is a UK gel/glass shop and pay them to match it. Here, that'll cost $75.00-$100.00 US.

Fishermanjm
06-26-2014, 08:24 PM
how do you know if it is painted or gel coat? i have thoes diggers on the hull up front to repair still (in the white)

gcarter
06-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Jim, gel is very, very hard, and paint isn't.

Fishermanjm
06-26-2014, 08:40 PM
would you think the white on the hull is gel??? from the factory?

gcarter
06-26-2014, 09:20 PM
would you think the white on the hull is gel??? from the factory?
Probably.

DonziJosh
07-01-2014, 10:20 AM
In my time at Donzi (1997-2010) we never painted a hull bottom. All bottoms, regardless of color, were done in gel. Specifically as it relates to the Classics, most hullsides and deck stripes were gel early on, and later we began to paint more of them.

Sometimes we applied the deck stripe in gel, and then added the border pinstripes in paint, to "clean up" any tape lines in the gel. In earlier years the pinstripes were just vinyl striping, but in the mid 2000s we switched to paint for an improved appearance. Eventually we began doing the bulk of the color in paint, because we were able to get sharper lines and significantly reduce UV fading compared to gel.

For paint, we used Sikkens in the 1990s, then BASF Diamont, then finally PPG. All three of these were a two-stage paint with base coat and clear coat. Following paint, we would wetsand the clear coat to enhance the finish, and also to smooth out the clearcoat line. On painted boats, you should be able to look at the edge of the painted area and see that the painted portion is slightly raised, due to the clearcoat overlay. We only clearcoated the painted areas of the hull and deck, so check the outer edges of the deck stripe, or the chine, along the lower edge of the boot stripe. On painted boats you should be able to find the clearcoat edge between the colored area and the white gel.

I hope this is helpful and not confusing!

Fishermanjm
07-02-2014, 03:10 PM
thanks Josh i will check on that,,, BTW, the seats are awsome!!! im gonna post pics soon