PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Loud tapping!

Moody Blu'
06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
We were out in the 22 classic, boat has a 383 stroker, lunati pro mod kit for a bottom end. We were in LBI, it ran great all day, went out in the ocean and it was rough, I never once winged the enigne. We came back in and were running around 5,000 rpm from the bayside back to the ketch in lbi all bay.. when the no wake buoy came up I slowed down and all of a sudden BANG BANG BANG. I lifted the hatch and heard it really loud. I took out my phone and recorded it in case the boat all of a sudden died. I havent taken the valve covers off yet and im hoping its a bent push rod or something int he top end so i can fix it fairly fast. It sounds really loud though. I dont understand how it could ever bend a rod oil pressure was good the whole day and its fresh oil. this was the second weekend out in it. Im hoiping to get it running fast. Im posting a video perhaps the motor heads here will be able to know just by the sound. It does sound like its coming from the starboard side. the phone I recorded it with has 4 microphoens on it and makes for a directional stereo hi def recording and after playing the vid it seems like its more fromt he starboard side. but when we were there in person it was so loud it was hard to differentiate where it was coming from.

Hopefully you all can shed some light on to what you think it may be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrwYXRt7wsk&feature=share&list=UUWRPizxZeIP4fTgcS-2RnNg

problemchild
06-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Have you done a compression check? I suspect your going to see a lot of bent part parts in and under the head. You can use a screw driver as a stethoscope. Might help you verify which side to start on.

duckhunter
06-23-2014, 10:17 PM
I replied on TOS as well. I wouldn't crank anything before you determine what happened. Sounds like a dropped valve, but who knows. Whatever it is definitely isn't good, and you don't want to make it worse with parts slinging around inside your motor.

I'd start with pulling both heads and go from there. Good luck!

Conquistador_del_mar
06-23-2014, 10:37 PM
I replied on TOS as well. I wouldn't crank anything before you determine what happened. Sounds like a dropped valve, but who knows. Whatever it is definitely isn't good, and you don't want to make it worse with parts slinging around inside your motor.

I'd start with pulling both heads and go from there. Good luck!

I agree about tearing it down before running again. My money would be on a spun connecting rod bearing on the crank since it sounds like my Warlock 548 engine did when it spun a bearing. Good luck with the results.

mario
06-24-2014, 06:14 AM
pull the valve covers

Moody Blu'
06-24-2014, 07:47 AM
whats a vale cover never heard of that before? :bonk:

I'm definately not starting it again. I sure do wish they made valves different so they could not drop into the cylinder. Like a thread on top of the valve i mean how many people have dropped valves because of a broken spring and the retainers fell off. it boggles me that there are not aftermarket valves with a lock nut on top to save the valve from dropping..

Yes im gonna pull the valve covers and go from there. Hopefully I will see the problem and know my course of action. I hope its just a push rod but that sound is loud.

this motor has dart 200cc heads with 72cc chambers and the bottom end is a lunati pro mod stroker kit capable of 800hp and its making half that 400hp so I do not think it spun a con rod bearing, anything is possible though.

I will find out next weekend.

please if anyone has any other ideas let me know, I know its all shot in the dark. just trying to figure out what possibilities i need to look for.

Capevettes
06-24-2014, 08:25 AM
You might get lucky and find a rocker backed off the stud a bit. I heard a very similar noise in one of my old Corvettes and the rocker arm nut had backed off. Bent push rod is another suspect. Good luck.

maddad
06-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a cylinder is not firing because an intake valve is hung open or broken and cylinder's pressure is going into the intake manifold. Maybe even just a loose spark plug?

Bobby D
06-24-2014, 11:14 AM
1970 Ski Sporter
Back in October 2010 during my last run for the season my motor (HM 351 Ford W) backfired, started to quit, backfired again and shutdown. It happened at the marina and I was able to throw a rope to the tractor guy and he pulled me over and on to my trailer and pulled me out of the water. All summer long the Donzi ran like a top and this was first time I had any indication that something was wrong. when it happened I noticed my vacuum gauge begin to bounce around and than the motor quit. All the gauges read normal during all this, including oil pressure and water temp, which always reads cool, the motor sounded like it was only running on about 5 or 6 cylinders? Figured the fluctuating vacuum reading was telling me I had an imbalance in the cylinders and that it could be a valve problem. What I did was pulled the valve covers and checked the to see if the camshaft was lifting open the valves and closing them by turning the engine over with the key (pulled the coil wire) didn’t want to fire the engine up. Figured it's possible a rocker got loose or a pushrod may have bent? Everything looked good so the next thing to do was a compression test to see what’s going on inside.
Here is what I found:
No compression in the #6 cylinder. Performed an internal inspection with a bore scope (see snake) and was surprised I was able to get a decent look at what was going on. Cranked the engine over and could see that the intake valve was not closing fully, although it did move up but still remained open. Also could see the piston and it looked OK, bottom line had to pull that head for repairs.
Pulled the head and found the exhaust valve seat came out of the head and jammed the valve in the open position so that’s why I had no compression in that cylinder. Next I got the bad news from the machine shop that the head could not be repaired so found a good head (the pervious owner had a set in his shop) with matching numbers. Had to replace one exhaust and one intake valve and then rebuild it.
Put it back together installed the rebuilt head and autolite plugs per HM specs and everything ran fine.
Good Luck moving forward.
Bob

MOP
06-24-2014, 09:06 PM
My old motor sounds like valve train, pull the covers maybe a rocker/push rod let go.

Moody Blu'
06-24-2014, 10:06 PM
My old motor sounds like valve train, pull the covers maybe a rocker/push rod let go.

youve heard rockers and push rods that get that loud? im hoping thats what it is

problemchild
06-24-2014, 10:21 PM
I like the bad intake valve theory. Rod or crank bearings would've lost serious oil pressure

Conquistador_del_mar
06-24-2014, 10:32 PM
I like the bad intake valve theory. Rod or crank bearings would've lost serious oil pressure

Nope. My 548 still had excellent oil pressure even with the spun connecting rod bearing on the crank that stacked the rod end outwards to make contact with the windage tray and block (my memory is that it also touched on the block). I thought the same thing until it happened to my engine.
I should add that I am only guessing about the noise in this thread.

Pismo
07-02-2014, 02:59 AM
Any news on this?

MOP
07-05-2014, 07:47 AM
He got it apart it was a rocker like I said, the sound was a dead give away. The double click clack is always valves a bearing is a consistent one knock each revolution not a double hit, I am pretty sure judging how it was banging back in the second movie it went lean. As the RPM's dropped when he backed off it went bang and broke the rocker.

MOP
07-07-2014, 03:31 PM
POST Number 127

http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/4575-Help-Loud-tapping!!-bang-bang-bang!?p=42054#post42054

Moody Blu'
07-11-2014, 09:28 AM
He got it apart it was a rocker like I said, the sound was a dead give away. The double click clack is always valves a bearing is a consistent one knock each revolution not a double hit, I am pretty sure judging how it was banging back in the second movie it went lean. As the RPM's dropped when he backed off it went bang and broke the rocker.

funny I spoke with you before you posted anything about what was broken and i said it sounds like a bent rod or broken rocker because when i turn the engine over it slowed down on one of the cylinders that was trying to get rid of exhaust gasses and kick back and blow the exhaust out the intake. and right after we spoke you posted what you think it is.

since you want everyone to see how much of a jerk I am LOL when i get home I will make sure to paste my post that was deleted on .org

you have a lot of nerve talking about your sorry you sold us the baot when in fact you knew how I drive and You called me about buying it. also, you say your stomach is turning. How do you think we feel when we drive by state police and coast guard and have to worry about the VIN not matching up with the boat and how did we feel when we were boarded by state police and coast guard worrying that our money may be taken away from us.

You were a yacht broker.. first you never told us anything about the vin being off. 2nd when i brought it up you told me you KNEW it was off by one number AFTER THE FACT but you didnt think anything of it? and meanwhile its off by two numbers... This was the first time I never checked the vin because I had full trust in MOP. then the issue with the front tank came up and when i told you i put 16 gallons in the front tank you let out a scream saying NOOOOOO and when i asked why you calmed down and said well it upsets the balance of the boat... and ive tried the fuel switch on every position and never got the front tank to work. buyer beware of course.... then the third issue which is the reason this thread was posted. You told me profusely they were harland sharp rockers. I sent HS pics and they told em they are pro form POS chinese rockers. and then again AFTER THE FACT you tell me how your engine builder got these instead and they are just as good as HS. You got all worked up even after I said im sorry if all of this is just mistakes on your part and even emailed you PRIVATELY to PROTECT YOU not me. and you end up copying and pasting the email. which is fine at this point your actions dictate what happens. and posting that email was not smart.

all of this is buyer beware but when you try to slander me and say how im a jerk and im torturing the boat and i can shove the boat up my butt. you have a problem with me.

I ask everyone on this baord to step into my situation and tell me how you would think of someone who kept things form you and regardless if the rockers were a accidental mistake 3 major things going wrong from someone who always acted honorable supposedly. tells you he got a bravo x drive used form a damaged boat, bought the lunatyi pro mod kit for a steal used and then posts how everything was new... how would you think about there honesty. And even after all of this I still said please forgive me for thinking this way and im sorry if its not right and said please try to understand and put yourself in my shoes. and then he goes off and slanders more. seriously... you said your done?

you and bonnie said im gonna drive the boat into the ground? I just upgraded the rockers.. i also added the new gauges that you never installed on the boat. put a high quality amsoil in it when you were using a low quality oil.

all of this is buyer beware and im getting attacked because im driving the boat too hard and thats why the rocker broke, meanwhile the guys at jegs have told me tons of people were caling in about the broken pro form rockers snapping, more then likley they never broke becaus you almsot never went over 4500 rpm.. and then the point about aluminum rockers shouldnt be used at sustained high rpm, well as far as HS, jegs guys and comp cams high rpms is abouve 6500rpm NOT 5000rpm. and coincidentally 4500rpms is still sustained rpms which is a NO NO as buzz said to use aluminum rockers in a sustained rpm situation as well as single vale springs with dampners lol not one of you have seen me drive all you see is pictures of me going over a wake and "jumping my 18'" which coincidentally was never aired out the prop was always in the water so how canyou say i abuse my boats.

how about building a boat to withstand anything being thrown at it and using parts meant for boating applications. thats how i build things and you didnt do that and ill definately correct it and make it better.

again I was told they were harland sharp rockers which they were not and this was from someone I trusted. oh thats right after they broke you rememebr they were not hs... fine i get it... but the way you came at me was disgusting. and i do not sit down for that Horse crap.. I need to learn to become wiser and ignore BS like this. as of now though. you taling about your stomach turning is a joke compared to what we have to dseal with just to enjoy the boat worrying everytime we go by police or CC... yea your so sorry. oh yea and BTW we are stuck with the boat I am not the type of person to sell a boat and not tell the truth about a vin. so until it is resolved we are screwed... OH thats right you want me to illegally go to new hampshire title and register the boat to someone and then sell it to me to bypass everything and then what if that vin comes up stolen? yea your stomach is turning.

Tidbart
07-11-2014, 10:21 AM
I have a suggestion for everyone involved.......... Leave this on the .org site. There is a nice long 14+ page post on this issue. No need to open another pissing contest about the same issues.

One of the reasons I say this is, the .org site is closely moderated and this one is not anymore.

Bob

duckhunter
07-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Moody - as mentioned on the other site, you're not doing yourself any favors with the rants. I think you probably need to take a deep breath and step back from the keyboard for a minute before aggravating this whole situation again.

Everyone that has ever bought a used boat has had to fix stuff. It's like a law or something.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but I'm not sure that this place has the moderation available like .org and I don't want to see it turn into a bunch of drama and dirty laundry. Bottom line - let's get your stuff fixed and get back on the water, which is the whole point of having a boat.

duckhunter
07-11-2014, 10:44 AM
I have a suggestion for everyone involved.......... Leave this on the .org site. There is a nice long 14+ page post on this issue. No need to open another pissing contest about the same issues.

One of the reasons I say this is, the .org site is closely moderated and this one is not anymore.

Bob

Tidbart posted as I was typing. Agreed. :thumbsup:

I went ahead and edited my previous post in the interests of simmering this thing down a little. Let's get back to boating and stuff.

Moody Blu'
07-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Bob

Problem is im being bullied over there and people are sticking up for mop and blaming me for the faults and one of the people posted something about the boat and how its cheesy something was and the fact is that part was what MOP was using. the person was drilling me about it and because it turned out it was mops part my post got deleted. So I can't rightfully defend myself.

also, Im being a baby just like mop is and im mirroring what he is doing. he didnt have to come over here to say GO READ THIS and meanwhile I am not allowed to say things about what has been said towards me. I need to become wiser baout things like this and ignore it. but i am not at that point yet. Im sure any competent person will understand the situation and how me and my girlfriend are stuck with a baot that I told my girl how mop was a good guy and then all these things come up. she trusted me I trusted him. I look bad to my girl and mop is trying to make me look bad. regardless if my girlfriend understands, mop doesnt and these guys bullying me don't understand. hes been changing his story about the parts i know were used and saying they were all new but i have no receipts for new bravo drive, new lunati pro mod kit just the engine work and miscellaneous items. All i have is what he told me VERBALLY and how they were bought used. because of him adding wood to the fire by saying it was all new stuff I see how he is and who he truely is being. hes scampering to protect his identity.

I have been on these forums for years and never had to worry about what i do because I do what I do with the most honorable actions. I never called mop a liar but hes throwing that word around a lot and if you know anything about psychology that is called projection. you can only speak of things that come from within you.

Moody Blu'
07-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Moody - as mentioned on the other site, you're not doing yourself any favors with the rants. I think you probably need to take a deep breath and step back from the keyboard for a minute before aggravating this whole situation again.

Everyone that has ever bought a used boat has had to fix stuff. It's like a law or something.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but I'm not sure that this place has the moderation available like .org and I don't want to see it turn into a bunch of drama and dirty laundry. Bottom line - let's get your stuff fixed and get back on the water, which is the whole point of having a boat.

understand mop raised the bar when he blatantly started calling me names and posted an email to try and make himself look like the innocent one.

and someone is deleting my posts that let me stick up for myself but not mops blatant name calling and also bringing up how parts are inadequate and im cheap because im using ropes to hold the boat down because thats what mop had on it, that is not fair. and when i turned it around and said mop did the ropes the post went poof.

also assuming i dont take care of the boat because it was dirty and i cant even clean it and i dont deserve a boat of that caliber? when all of those statements were of asusmptions. thats not fair either ive been driving donzis since i was 14-16 years old and owned a classic 18' since then the amount of hours i spend on the boats are more then a lot of people and i have a lot of experience.. then again this is the internet so all is fair i suppose. HA

duckhunter
07-11-2014, 11:03 AM
MOP posted that link almost a week ago and I agree that it was in poor taste. Everyone was pissed at that point and acting like teenagers IMO.

Again, you are not doing yourself any favors. Any irregularities you may have had with that boat have been far overshadowed by your behavior & complaining, and at this point I'm very glad that I have never sold you anything.

If I were a mod I would tell you both to reel your necks in and lock this thread. This stuff is permanent - are you sure this is how you want to shape your reputation here and throughout the internet? Food for thought.

Carl C
07-11-2014, 11:04 AM
They shut it down on .org. Please don't bring it here.