PDA

View Full Version : cup holder?

JayZ
06-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Anyone install one of these in the dash on their 22 classic?

Or how about going crazy with some glass work on the dash and doing something like this drink holder on the Sutphen?

I've been thinking about glassing in my dash completely, getting one of the gel-coat wizards around here to match it then cut fresh holes for the gauges, simply put in a jack for connecting iphone or ipod for music, running it through and amp that is up in the ski locker

yeller
06-24-2014, 12:29 AM
I was looking at those. I think they great except I don't like that they are plastic. If I could find them in stainless I'd put a couple in for the back seat passengers.

Carl C
06-24-2014, 05:55 AM
I've done some customizing on my boat but drink holders isn't going to happen.

Morgan's Cloud
06-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Hmm , never seen them before . They would have their constraints in terms of the amount or space behind the surface they were going to be mounted on though.
And I don't really go for the size hole needed for their installation even if there is room behind the mounting surface.

There is a simple one available that I use that folds open and shut and the ring is adjustable for size of the container . Only 2 small screw holes required and when not in use is about the size of a pack of playing cards.

Greg Guimond
06-24-2014, 09:51 AM
In a rough water boat I like Morgan Clouds idea better. Simple to fold down on the occasions you need them and out of the way for 75% of the time you are at cruise and above. I never liked how Sutphen did the bump out on there new 22. It looses valuable cockpit room in a small boat. Without it you can mount the bucket seat 6" closer to the dash which means 6" more leg room for the rear bench passengers. There are many things they could have done with the gunnel area that would have been recessed and out of the way.

JayZ
06-24-2014, 05:21 PM
polished billet aluminum anyone?

VetteLT193
06-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Anyone install one of these in the dash on their 22 classic?

Or how about going crazy with some glass work on the dash and doing something like this drink holder on the Sutphen?

I've been thinking about glassing in my dash completely, getting one of the gel-coat wizards around here to match it then cut fresh holes for the gauges, simply put in a jack for connecting iphone or ipod for music, running it through and amp that is up in the ski locker

This is standard Driver's cupholder on the 28 ZX. Trust me... it's a crappy cupholder. I'm adding a real cupholder on the dash because of it

We found these drink surround things at the boat show a few years back. they work well on a 22. I can't remember the name for the life of me. They were just a neoprene disk that you stretched around your drink/coozie and they actually worked.

VetteLT193
06-25-2014, 02:11 PM
here they are.... http://lilsucker.com/

yeller
06-26-2014, 04:10 PM
polished billet aluminum anyone?

Where did you find those? I'm interested. Thanks

JayZ
07-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Where did you find those? I'm interested. Thanks

A year late but here you go: http://www.santanainteriors.com/products/billet/

yeller
07-04-2015, 12:22 AM
A year late but here you go: http://www.santanainteriors.com/products/billet/
I wanted to put my boat back in the water a year ago, but I couldn't because I didn't have the right cup holders. It's about time. :biggrin.:

I did find that place shortly after you posted the pics. Unfortunately, the hole is only 3" in diameter. A decent coozie is 3.25" so it's a no go. To bad, because I really like them.

Ed Donnelly
07-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Hmm , never seen them before . They would have their constraints in terms of the amount or space behind the surface they were going to be mounted on though.
And I don't really go for the size hole needed for their installation even if there is room behind the mounting surface.

There is a simple one available that I use that folds open and shut and the ring is adjustable for size of the container . Only 2 small screw holes required and when not in use is about the size of a pack of playing cards.

Now you just have to tell us where to get them ...please...Ed

RockyS18
07-04-2015, 10:03 AM
I have suction cup cupholders, I believe the company is SeaChoice, they have held up for years. I use them while on plane with no issue (although I wouldn't try on a rough day). The best part is they don't hurt the looks of the boat because they don't stay on full time :cool:

mattyboy
07-04-2015, 11:01 AM
The original Donzi drink holder no holes no mess

Morgan's Cloud
07-04-2015, 11:33 AM

I actually thought that if I had found them out here in no-where land they'd be very well known on the mainland.

Check 'em out at ....

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--folding-drink-holder--P015_454_003_502

yeller
07-04-2015, 01:52 PM
I had a set like Morgan's Cloud posted, but in S/S. Couldn't get myself to install them and ended up giving them away.

I have had the Lilsucker before and they work great. I tested them at over 60mph in somewhat rough conditions and they didn't move. Not much left of the beverage mind you, but the can was still in place. :biggrin.:

Morgan's Cloud
07-04-2015, 02:52 PM
I had a set like Morgan's Cloud posted, but in S/S. Couldn't get myself to install them and ended up giving them away.

I have had the Lilsucker before and they work great. I tested them at over 60mph in somewhat rough conditions and they didn't move. Not much left of the beverage mind you, but the can was still in place. :biggrin.:

If it had anything to do with drilling holes in a perfectly good boat I fully understand .
Mind you , it's a lot more desirable than getting out a hole saw and making a 3.5'' hole for any other type . :biggrin.:

Ghost
07-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Classics are not an easy cupholder platform.

gcarter
07-04-2015, 04:12 PM
NOT a cup holder, but when I first put the foot box back into the cockpit, I bolted it in w/a 1/4" button head machine screw on each side. After glassing the foot box in, I left the screws in. I figured they could be used to attach something in the future, like a cup holder, GPS, phone bracket, or whatever.
In this picture, you can barely see the screw in front of the throttle and just to the right of the dash.

danz
07-05-2015, 08:04 AM
installed these on my 16 with 3m double sided tape , works great ,no holes. area in front of throttle curves a bit so i used a couple of layers of tape ,one on top of other as i recall.