PDA

View Full Version : Yes Virginia, There will be a 50th Edition!

jl1962
06-23-2014, 01:05 PM
http://speedonthewater.com/new-boats-engines/2039-donzi-offering-50th-anniversary-classic-series

Saw this.
Anyone have details yet?
I have a call into the company to get a sense of colors, pricing, options, interest level etc......
:cool!:

Carl C
06-23-2014, 01:18 PM
I think the last sentence is incorrect. . . . .

olredalert
06-23-2014, 02:01 PM
----So you want them not to build any because of a little hyperbole?........Bill S

mattyboy
06-23-2014, 02:09 PM
would love to see a pic of the design good for them !

do they mean the 16 classic 2+2 or do they mean the sweet 16 1+4 ????? if they mean the sweet 16 I am going to need a slide rule to count the stop and starts in production

i think with the new power available in the SB world would love to see a VP DP 430 in a 22 or an Ilmor 570

Carl C
06-23-2014, 06:11 PM
This sentence is incorrect I hope: " According to the release, all Donzi Classics come equipped with latest high-output, small-block V-8 stern-drives engines." The 22 should come with a 525 or one of the new Mercury Racing engines! :) Come to think of it, they should all come with special power. :cool:

jl1962
09-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Pictures of a new 22 on the Donzi Marine FB page.

No decals or stripes yet (unless they are going for minimalism....)

Good on them for making it this far!

gcarter
09-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Carl, if you go to the web site, the standard engine is an SBC.
The BB is an option.

DONZI-DON
09-17-2014, 07:57 PM
This is interesting. The DONZI website which shows their line of boats including the Classic 16,18, & 22's has REMOVED the "ORDER FORM" tab at the bottom which showed pricing. It was there 2 nights ago because I sent the pricing of all (3) boats to a friend of mine who didn't believe me when I told him it would cost around $70K to replace my 16 for a new one.

If a 50th Edition is truly "cumming" I'm guessing it will be UNAFFORDABLE by the everyday working guy. I could see a price increase of a minimum of $10K to the base and that's why DONZI probably removed the tab from the web site.

danz
09-17-2014, 09:28 PM
This is interesting. The DONZI website which shows their line of boats including the Classic 16,18, & 22's has REMOVED the "ORDER FORM" tab at the bottom which showed pricing. It was there 2 nights ago because I sent the pricing of all (3) boats to a friend of mine who didn't believe me when I told him it would cost around $70K to replace my 16 for a new one.

If a 50th Edition is truly cumming I'm guessing it will be UNAFFORDABLE by the everyday working guy. I could see a price increase of a minimum of $10K to the base and that's why DONZI probably removed the tab from the web site.
my guess is it won't happen. they have 3 months left in 2014. i love my 96 16 classic but where is the market for a boat that is so tiny and really impractical. really only can take 2 people and they better be small at that ! at $70K buyers will go for the cobalts that seem to be everywhere here in the northwest. only a nut like me would go for it. ! danz

DONZI-DON
09-17-2014, 09:52 PM
my guess is it won't happen. they have 3 months left in 2014. i love my 96 16 classic but where is the market for a boat that is so tiny and really impractical. really only can take 2 people and they better be small at that ! at $70K buyers will go for the cobalts that seem to be everywhere here in the northwest. only a nut like me would go for it. ! danz

+1 (Me too) :nilly: I love my SWEET 16! It's a 94 I bought with 60 hrs and it looks like it just came out of the SHOW ROOM. And I only paid $12,000 for it 2 months ago - As much as I love it, I don't know if I could spend $70K+ for the same boat with a couple of 50th Anniversary Year Special Edition Stickers. If they do it.......... it will probably be like the current Classics, SPECIAL ORDER ONLY.

mattyboy
09-18-2014, 05:49 AM
So when is the cutoff for the model year in a USCG HIN. A boat produced this late in the year usually has the next model year as the last two digits of the HIN?
Anything special in the setup raised X or new motor technology ?
It may just be a standard 22 but probably the only one produced in 2014 and with the unsure future 5 years from now this boat could be very valuable and collectible

mike o
09-18-2014, 06:02 AM
August 1st

I'm building 2015's :yes:

CHACHI
09-18-2014, 06:08 AM
Moke, you are aleays ahead of the curve.

Your sled ready?

Ken

CHACHI
09-18-2014, 06:09 AM
Mike, you are always ahead of the curve.

Your sled ready?

Ken

Fishermanjm
09-18-2014, 08:05 PM
DONZI-DON said cumming,,, hehehe

DONZI-DON
09-18-2014, 11:19 PM
DONZI-DON said cumming,,, hehehe

That's because I think this production is a WET - DREAM (Not Gonna Happen) JMO :doh:

mattyboy
09-19-2014, 06:36 AM
August 1st

I'm building 2015's :yes:

a 2015 50th anniversary???

mike o
09-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Hin model yrs run from Aug 1 thru July 31http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/hin.html

BUIZILLA
09-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Hin model yrs run from Aug 1 thru July 31http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/hin.html on paper, that is true, in reality that could be a couple months or so before.. my Z235 was built June 2000, as a 2001... i've seen other Donzi models built in May for next years model

mike o
09-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Model yr is up to the Manufacturer. "Model Yr" http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/pdf/recalls/BSC70.pdf

Carl C
09-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Too many "special editions" makes them not so special. I like the yellow 525 22 currently in production.

joseph m. hahnl
09-20-2014, 08:37 PM
I wonder if they removed the order form from Donzi site, because the Classics are being sold by the Baja dealers:kingme: I wonder why Carl likes the yellow 22 with a the 525:bonk:It's all just so Wondersome:yes:

DonziJosh
09-21-2014, 11:34 AM
on paper, that is true, in reality that could be a couple months or so before.. my Z235 was built June 2000, as a 2001... i've seen other Donzi models built in May for next years model

This. The actual date of "model change" depended primarily upon field inventory, backlog, and feedback from dealers. In years where we had good retail order backlogs from winter shows, we'd typically push back model change. When the order backlog began running low and we needed dealers to step up and restock, we'd incentivize them by rolling to the next model year. I doubt there are any manufacturers out there still stamping 2014 hulls.

Here's a photo of 2004 40th Anniversary Edition #6, which was in the finishing department when this photo was taken in September, 2003.

https://www.facebook.com/DonziDirect/photos/a.211908162206155.52884.170683836328588/771434269586872/?type=1&theater

DonziJosh
09-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Too many "special editions" makes them not so special. I like the yellow 525 22 currently in production.

It's actually not a 525. It's powered by an 8.2 Mag HO (430 HP).

Carl C
09-21-2014, 12:13 PM
It's actually not a 525. It's powered by an 8.2 Mag HO (430 HP).

Really. . . . . That's a shame. The thread on the other site says it is a 525. The 525 really brings the 22 to life.

DONZI-DON
09-21-2014, 12:22 PM
I wonder if they removed the order form from Donzi site, because the Classics are being sold by the Baja dealers:kingme: I wonder why Carl likes the yellow 22 with a the 525:bonk:It's all just so Wondersome:yes:

NOPE! Already checked out the BAJA web-site......NOTHING

Carl C
09-21-2014, 12:44 PM

I don't like it anymore. No 525, just a production Mercruiser, catalyst 502, too much yellow, no stripe and cheap windshield.

jl1962
09-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Carl - I'm sure they'll build one however you like ;).

I'm just glad they got one under their belts.....
Ya gotta start somewhere

Here's a picture of my 40th today!

Carl C
09-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Carl - I'm sure they'll build one however you like ;).

I'm just glad they got one under their belts.....
Ya gotta start somewhere

Here's a picture of my 40th today!

Looking good. Glad you are getting out. I'm planning a boat run for Thursday. I already have exactly the boat I want but I had to do a lot of the work myself! Poodle said the yellow one was getting a 525, got me all excited.

jl1962
09-21-2014, 07:53 PM
No worries, Carl. I'm just kidding.
:cool!:

But what's important is that apparently someone wanted one just like they built it. Call it a 50th or a 51st - I'm just glad they built a new Donzi.

BTW - Decals and stripes have been added. Check FB page.

mattyboy
09-22-2014, 10:10 AM
So was this a production boat or was it ordered that way. nice to see a new classic not a fan of yellow. It has the Shelby hatch is the x up on this boat

gcarter
09-22-2014, 10:37 AM
So was this a production boat or was it ordered that way. nice to see a new classic not a fan of yellow. It has the Shelby hatch is the x up on this boat

Matty, now that I have that same hatch, I can tell you it provides plenty of room for better exhaust risers.
+1 on anyone using it.

Carl C
09-22-2014, 11:09 AM

I like yellow but not all yellow. Maybe the hatch is needed to clear the catalytic converters. It is nice to see a boat being built!

mattyboy
09-23-2014, 10:11 AM
new decal and I never noticed they only have two clamshells on the back did they do that on the shelby's too with the vented hatch? the yellow looks darker more gold than your Carl could be just the lighting on the pics

but this is from a guy who's mustard is even brown

Carl C
09-23-2014, 10:53 AM
new decal and I never noticed they only have two clamshells on the back did they do that on the shelby's too with the vented hatch? the yellow looks darker more gold than your Carl could be just the lighting on the pics

but this is from a guy who's mustard is even brown

I think so and I question if any air actually is forced into that scoop. There is a reason that drag cars use a raised scoop and the Donzi one is not only level but there is a lip right in front of it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is actually negative pressure at the scoop opening. The yellow looks close to mine but there is more of it!

yeller
09-23-2014, 12:24 PM

but this is from a guy who's mustard is even brownNice to see that at least one anniversary boat is being made.
Yellow looks to be the same color as my 04. I like the all yellow.....of course. :biggrin.: I don't care for the new logo, though. Too busy for me. And the white stripe needs some pinstriping on the sides to set it off. The 04's had a metallic silver pinstripe which makes all the difference, but a black pinstripe on that boat would look good.
With the use of that hatch, the rear clamshells just don't look right.
Shelby's didn't use the clamshells.

Carl C
09-23-2014, 04:52 PM
I like the plain stripe. Keeps it simple. It is a reverse color scheme than mine. And this is the scoop it needs if you really want to increase airflow. Yeller, I agree about the logo. I think it would look better without the "Donzi Marine" logo and the lion/dolphin logo squeezed in there. The Shelby hatches never seem to fit right either. Look at the corners. Nitpicking? Not for $100,000.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/teaguescoop.jpg (http://s763.photobucket.com/user/CARLC222/media/teaguescoop.jpg.html)

joseph m. hahnl
09-23-2014, 06:37 PM
I like the plain stripe. Keeps it simple. It is a reverse color scheme than mine. And this is the scoop it needs if you really want to increase airflow. Yeller, I agree about the logo. I think it would look better without the "Donzi Marine" logo and the lion/dolphin logo squeezed in there. The Shelby hatches never seem to fit right either. Look at the corners. Nitpicking? Not for $100,000.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/teaguescoop.jpg (http://s763.photobucket.com/user/CARLC222/media/teaguescoop.jpg.html) I think the raised hatch is for clearance not induction .:biggrin.:

Carl C
09-23-2014, 07:24 PM
I think the raised hatch is for clearance not induction .:biggrin.:

On this model you're probably right. On other models it was cosmetic.

yeller
09-23-2014, 07:56 PM
I guess it's what you get use to Carl. I have pinstripes on mine and like it, but I'm willing to bet if mine never came with them, then that's what I would prefer. I agree with you on the hatch corners....but that's not exclusive to the shelby hatches. I've seen it on some other boats too. It's like they have two molds, but one is better than the other. When I got my boat, the hatch fit perfectly, but when I got a new deck and hatch, the new hatch sticks up in the one corner. Absolutely drives me nuts every time I look at it.

DONZI-DON
09-24-2014, 06:24 AM
I got this response this morning from DONZI Manufacturing (7:07am EST)

Donald,

We took the order forms off the website while we work to put together
special 50th Anniversary pricing. And the good news is, we have it almost
finalized. The order forms should be back later today.

Thank you for your interest in our Donzi Classic series.

:clap:

mattyboy
09-24-2014, 07:01 AM
I think people have been used to seeing the pin stripes which were needed to hide the gel bleed on the border of the deck and stripe color with the new painted boats they can get a crisp line

must be the lighting Carl's yellow looks more canary yellow and the 50th looks more federal highway yellow

so if they got 80 out of a raised x on the 009 with 425 this boat should run around the same?

Carl C
09-24-2014, 07:22 AM
I think that 80 had to be in perfect conditions and in salt water. If it has a raised X I would expect real world 75. So how much more will these anniversary editions cost just because they have a special decal?

VetteLT193
09-24-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm generally a fan of special editions but could they have been less inventive on this one? It's a cheaper version of the 40th. No special gauges. No special interior. Shelby hatch is nice but having just the rear vents looks strange. It either needs all 4 classic vents or none like the shelby.

Kind of sad because the last couple of classics to leave the factory were pretty cool. The black one with silver interior and red trim was hot. The blue/white one was also sweet.

I'm happy to see them in production but hope at the end of the day it isn't a Donzi built by Baja.

RockyS18
09-24-2014, 08:14 PM
I think that 80 had to be in perfect conditions and in salt water. If it has a raised X I would expect real world 75. So how much more will these anniversary editions cost just because they have a special decal?

My personal best in the 009 when it had the 496HO was 78mph, in freshwater. And that was with a labbed 26p Bravo 4 blade.

Scott Pearson
09-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Sorry guys...Had to chime in here. That 50th looks like ass. It looks like an after thought. It has no style and looks thrown together with no good ideas on an attempt of how a 50th should look.

Matty and I spoke the other day and he mentioned a color of Grumble Green. Now that would have looked cool. ALL grumble green with a white deck and boot stripe, Green and white candycane interior, a split hatch or tripple hatch set-up, no windsheild, some old schools type SW gauges, 1 inch Tyco aluminum rub rail, Old decals and a new DONZI MARINE script...the list could go on and on. But for christ sake...someone needs to think out of the box.

Looks like the same typical Donzi. Almost like someone bought a new Ford or Chevy truck and went to Pepboys and purchased a bunch of stick on or bolt on S**T and had a field day.

Sorry DONZI...You got this one wrong. You guys really need to go back to the drawing board and/or get rid of some dead weight. Start thinking out of the box or your never going to survive.

mattyboy
09-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Sorry guys...Had to chime in here. That 50th looks like ass. It looks like an after thought. It has no style and looks thrown together with no good ideas on an attempt of a 50th should look.

Matty and I spoke the other day and he mentioned a color of Grumble Green. Now that would have looked cool. ALL grumble green with a white deck and boot stripe, Green and white candycane interior, a split hatch or tripple hatch set-up, no windsheild, some old schools type SW gauges, 1 inch Tyco aluminum rub rail, Old decals and a new DONZI MARINE script...the list could go on and on. But for christ sake...someone needs to think out of the box.

Looks like the same typical Donzi. Almost like someone bought a new Ford or Chevy truck and went to Pepboys and purchased a bunch of stick on or bolt on S**T and had a field day.

Sorry DONZI...You got this one wrong. You guys really need to go back to the drawing board and/or get rid of some dead weight. Start thinking out of the box or your never going to survive.

how bout a Donzi and volvo edition back together after 50 years I would imagine the new VP430 would perform close to the 430 merc maybe even better with the weight savings, use less gas and handle much better the 50th is Gold work that in some how

Tidbart
09-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Pricing is up.

8.2 Mag HO, Bravo 1
All gelcoat hull and deck
High-back buckets
Stereo
K-Planes
Hydraulic Steering

$89,305 +++++++++++++++++++++

Tidbart
09-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Let's throw in some carpeting to make it past 90K.

$90,010.

Sign me up. :boggled:

Maybe I am not asking enough for my '97.:bonk:

B

Tidbart
09-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Here is the pricing sheet........

DONZI-DON
09-25-2014, 03:03 PM
http://www.donzimarine.com/Boats/OrderForms/Classic_22_AnniversarySpecial.pdf

Nothing offered on the Classic 16 :nilly: Good thing becasue it would be around $65K by the 18 & 22 Pricing:bonk:

$80K+ CLASSIC 18
Over a $100K+ CLASSIC 22 EEEEEEKKKKKK - Who would of ever that a boat would cost more than a car which costs almost as much as a HOUSE :nilly:

Does this mean our boats are worth more with a price Tag of $80K - I can't see many going to the east coast with that price tag.........NO JOBS HERE PAY THAT WELL..............OR, PEOPLE WILL BUY THEM ON IMPULSE AND HAVE TO SELL A YR OR TWO LATER AT A B I G - L O S S :lookaroun: CHA_CHING CHA_CHIMG SAVINGS For the 2nd owners.

I think I'll find me a used DONZI SHELBY for much less.

RickSE
09-25-2014, 04:28 PM
I think that's actually a pretty good pricing and it probably isn't too far off from the net pricing they had when they shut down a few years ago. Although I agree with Scott in that they need to do something new, I'm sure they'll sell a few of these. Heck, I won't be all that surprised if I see one sitting in my Dad's driveway next year.

joseph m. hahnl
09-25-2014, 08:26 PM
The price list reads like a hospital bill. There's an up charge on everything. . A digital depth sounder for $500. You can get a chart plotter and gps combo for that. :kingme:

I don't get how they try to sell boat add ons like cars and trucks do. Cars and trucks actually offer upgrades in electrics and trim. I feel for $72000 all that stuff should be standard. It comes off like a used car salesman "Yah for another $1000 I'll throw in a spare tire"

Carl C
09-25-2014, 08:28 PM
I think that's actually a pretty good pricing and it probably isn't too far off from the net pricing they had when they shut down a few years ago. Although I agree with Scott in that they need to do something new, I'm sure they'll sell a few of these. Heck, I won't be all that surprised if I see one sitting in my Dad's driveway next year.

It really isn't that out of line. Mine cost around $55,000 nine years ago. Let's assume that these list prices are negotiable too. The list price on mine in '05 was around $70,000.

Carl C
09-25-2014, 08:34 PM
It really isn't that out of line. Mine cost around $55,000 nine years ago. Let's assume that these list prices are negotiable too. The list price on mine in '05 was around $70,000.

Joseph's post went up while I was typing. I think you have to negotiate for a fully loaded one. Mine has all factory options available and the factory installed windscreen. The 496 HO is long gone though. I don't like that the steering is an option and is single ram.

DONZI-DON
09-25-2014, 08:46 PM

I don't know.....I guess if I had a job that paid $500,000yr it would be easier to fork over $80-$100 grand for something I might use 40-50 times a yr. For me that $80-$100 Grand pays for a lot of college for my kids.

Carl C
09-26-2014, 06:19 AM
In 2005 I was making great money. I bought a brand new 22C from Pier 57 and put another $40,000 into it to get it the way I wanted it. I have $100,000 into it. Boating is my main passion. Now times have changed. The people elected Obama - twice. My income has fallen and there are lots of great deals on used boats. That abundance of used boats on the market is still hurting the industry. If the economy improves and folks start making money again and hanging onto their boats maybe the industry can come back. I read the small boat reviews in Boating mag and Donzi's pricing is not that out of line.

mattyboy
09-26-2014, 08:00 AM
the base of 66k and 72k on the 50th move to 85,940 and 93,750 on the standard 22C as of feb 15th so if you want one time is limited

RickSE
09-26-2014, 10:29 AM
I'd be surprised if the pricing is negotiable if it's direct & purchased through the factory. A dealer may be able to swing a lower price but then you'd have to pay mark-up, otherwise I bet the price is the price.

Mr X
10-14-2014, 06:59 AM
http://speedonthewater.com/new-boats-engines/2274-donzi-to-showcase-anniversary-edition-classics-in-fort-lauderdale

Pismo
10-14-2014, 07:51 AM
It is great. Just to see a new one makes me happy. Could easily have been gone forever.

jl1962
10-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Seems like attractive pricing for a new boat.
Hope they get some nibbles.

I'm still waiting for them to reintroduce the 18' barrel back.
:cool:

roadtrip se
10-16-2014, 06:47 PM
I bet it will sell. Glad to see a new one for a change....