PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Classic 22 speed?

Admeister
06-20-2014, 05:08 PM
I just bought a 90 Classic 22 with a 460 (?) big block ford and an OMC KC outdrive. Was wondering what kind of speed I should expect at what RPM. I'm working on draining the old gas to get it running smooth. It runs strong so far. Even with 3 year old gas. Also the last 22 I drove was a 2004 that had a mercruiser drive (not sure what model) but at WOT trimmed out hit 84 mph on the speedo with a nice rooster tail. I took my 22 out the other day and couldn't trim it right. I'd get the bow out of the water slightly and then it'd just start hopping. Are the king cobras so different than the bravos that they ride this way?? Thanks in advance for all your experience.

gcarter
06-20-2014, 06:23 PM
I think the OMC/Ford 460 package was about 330 HP. That'll usually push a 22C about 55-60 MPH. A 22C that'll go 84 probably has about 600 HP. Porpoising is, many times, simply too much trim. Some more seat time will help you determine what to do next.
Congratulations on the new boat

Admeister
06-20-2014, 07:13 PM
I think the OMC/Ford 460 package was about 330 HP. That'll usually push a 22C about 55-60 MPH. A 22C that'll go 84 probably has about 600 HP. Porpoising is, many times, simply too much trim. Some more seat time will help you determine what to do next.
Congratulations on the new boat

Ok, thanks, when I took it out I got up to fifty five mph WOT trimmed up, I guess that was max before porpoising. Any idea on a prop that would get a few mph without losing too much torque. I don't even know what size or pitch came on it.

gcarter
06-20-2014, 07:19 PM
It sounds to me like you're about to the limit w/the power available.
A Turbo 21 or 22, or a Hydromotive Q4 21 or 22 are both good props.

Ghost
06-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Congrats on the new boat. What rpm are you seeing at WOT and 55mph?

Admeister
06-21-2014, 10:46 AM
I honestly don't recall, It was only about a 5 minute run, and I didn't look at the tach at WOT. I still have yet to register the boat and the first run was to see if anything was wrong with the boat. I had my eye mostly on the hr meter to see if it was working because it only reads 349hrs and I was watching the voltage as I trimmed it out and played with the trim tabs. With that said, I was so excited about the boat for what I paid (practically stole it) I didn't notice the tach when I was wide open. I will get back with the RPM at WOT next time I go out.

Admeister
06-21-2014, 11:13 AM
a couple of pictures so far

Carl C
06-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Looks nice. These hulls respond well to power ups. The King Cobra is tough but will cost you some speed. Unfortunately it's not easy to convert to Bravo.

gcarter
06-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Dr. Dan has a similar boat w/a KC drive. He added a Merc HP 500 about ten years ago and it was good for over 80 MPH.
I think the KC drive is a good all around drive.

fysis
06-21-2014, 12:17 PM
a couple of pictures so far
Looks like a very nice clean boat keep it stock.

Admeister
06-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah I'm going to keep it stock for now. Maybe in a year or two put some heads on it to get a little more power out of it. For now we're just going to enjoy it. Honestly just coming home to it in the driveway is a thrill! And to me theres nothing that sounds better than the stock donzi idle. We'll nothing with a motor anyways

Ghost
06-22-2014, 11:22 AM
I honestly don't recall, It was only about a 5 minute run, and I didn't look at the tach at WOT. I still have yet to register the boat and the first run was to see if anything was wrong with the boat. I had my eye mostly on the hr meter to see if it was working because it only reads 349hrs and I was watching the voltage as I trimmed it out and played with the trim tabs. With that said, I was so excited about the boat for what I paid (practically stole it) I didn't notice the tach when I was wide open. I will get back with the RPM at WOT next time I go out.

Gotcha, a, sounds like you're having fun. :). That tach number at WOT will tell us if you're propped right. Be nice if it were low, that could mean you have some ponies left untapped that a smaller prop will exploit. Of course, somebody will need to find out the max recommended rpm range for that Ford, which I don't know.

Admeister
07-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Just took the boat out for a ride. I'm hitting low 60s at 4200 RPM. Really choppy conditions today but I got more out of the donzi than last time.

Carl C
07-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Just took the boat out for a ride. I'm hitting low 60s at 4200 RPM. Really choppy conditions today but I got more out of the donzi than last time.

Choppy is good!

MOP
07-04-2014, 04:18 PM
The KC drive is a little more hydrodynamic that a Bravo and proven to be quite a bit stronger, the drive was a Volvo design during the restructure of OMC. The speed you are getting is very close to its best which is right at 65. I am pretty sure once you get it running right your RPM will be a few hundred higher, that engine likes to be @4600.

Phil

Admeister
07-04-2014, 04:24 PM
The KC drive is a little more hydrodynamic that a Bravo and proven to be quite a bit stronger, the drive was a Volvo design during the restructure of OMC. The speed you are getting is very close to its best which is right at 65. I am pretty sure once you get it running right your RPM will be a few hundred higher, that engine likes to be @4600.

Phil

Thanks! that helps a lot! Now if I can figure out why it's stalling, i'll be in good shape. Happy 4th!

miike
07-05-2014, 11:25 PM
I have a 1992 330hp 454 KC and got 67 best on a Mirage 23 before repower.

My buddy had a 460 KC 1989 and got 65 out of it.