PDA

View Full Version : Overhead videos and pictures

Conquistador_del_mar
06-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Some of you guys might be interested in making some really nice overhead videos of your boat or anything else. I got one of these to shoot overhead videos of a roadrunner nest 30' up in a tree at my house, but it will work for anything where you might want quality videos. These youtubes explains it fairly well, but there are tons of other videos to see what the Phantom 2+ can do. $1300 and you are in business! I would recommend getting an extra battery and the prop guards and the app for FPV on your smartphone. No need for real helicopter videos when you can do it yourself with a little creativity. Onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptVJGrOpyok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3m9rE7qjuA

RedDog
06-12-2014, 02:28 PM
The Phanton 2 is awesome. I'm going the cheap route for now. I have a Walkera QR W100S on order for about 100 bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGRGzszxQgk

Conquistador_del_mar
06-12-2014, 05:23 PM
The Phanton 2 is awesome. I'm going the cheap route for now. I have a Walkera QR W100S on order for about 100 bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGRGzszxQgk

Awesome for only $100! I started with the Phantom 1, but after seeing the video quality of the Phantom Vision 2+, I had to order one. At least I will have a little experience with the controls which can get confusing until I learn all the features. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine :yes:.

RedDog
06-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Awesome for only $100! I started with the Phantom 1, but after seeing the video quality of the Phantom Vision 2+, I had to order one. At least I will have a little experience with the controls which can get confusing until I learn all the features. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine :yes:.

I hope to have a Phantom or Parrot AD.drone in my future. For now I wanted to get some experience with a cheaper one to train on. The Walkera model I ordered does have FPV video recording to your smart phone or tablet but only at 0.3M pixels. It doesn't have the GPS but at least has some gyro stabilization.

The new Phantom with GPS and 3 axis camera gimbal looks amazing

RedDog
06-12-2014, 06:41 PM
PS. Do you usually fly it with the transmitter or phone/tablet? Or both?

Tidbart
06-12-2014, 06:54 PM
I just got a slingshot for people like you. LOL

RedDog
06-12-2014, 07:12 PM
PSS. Could you post some video that you have made?

Tidbart - I'm going to mount missiles for people with slingshots....

Conquistador_del_mar
06-12-2014, 09:36 PM
PS. Do you usually fly it with the transmitter or phone/tablet? Or both?

Right now I only have the Phantom 1 with a GoPro mounted so I fly it with the TX. When I get the Phantom 2, I can watch through the camera via the smartphone app, but all the guys use the TX since the controls, range, and quickness are much better with the TX. It will be great to see what you are recording and use the gimbal control to change the camera angle, but without a range extender the camera wifi won't reach as far as the TX. A few of the guys have gone out as far as 1/2 mile+ with the Phantom 2, but at that distance you can't even see it with the naked eye - thank goodness for the GPS features like home lock to bring it back if you lose orientation or it is out of sight. Of course it should return and land on its own if you turn off the TX where it goes into failsafe mode, but that is the last resort. The IOC controls of home and course lock have really cool functions which I tried, too. Keep in mind that the home lock will bring it back to it start position, but within 10+ meters it will go back to course lock mode so it will change direction on you depending on the direction it is facing. I tried the failsafe mode tonight by turning the TX off - it worked perfectly taking it to 60', waiting and then dropping slowly to the start position, but I forgot to switch it back to Atti to take control back so the landing was not as soft as I would have liked, but it worked!

PS I should add that the NAZA M V2 analytical software that you use when connecting between the drone and your computer is fairly awesome! Lots of parameters to check and change.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-12-2014, 09:40 PM
PSS. Could you post some video that you have made?

Tidbart - I'm going to mount missiles for people with slingshots....

Yes, as soon as I get something loaded to youtube I will post it here. I do wonder if anyone has had one shot down - lol.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Check out the quality of the video taken with the Phantom 2 Vision+ drone in this youtube video and you will see that it is good enough for professional use - at least in my opinion. All for only $1300! I feel like I should be a salesman for DJI - lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2i5HUC4ZGs

duckhunter
06-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Cool stuff! This technology has really evolved over the last decade. Looks like a fun hobby.

Here's some inspiration RedDog. These ones are slightly more than $100, but who's counting?

79866 79867 79868

Conquistador_del_mar
06-22-2014, 02:30 AM
I took this video this afternoon where I am finally getting the hang of running the whole system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz5qflD535M&feature=youtu.be

RedDog
06-23-2014, 12:47 PM
pretty cool. Was the girl standing next to you watching the video live on an iPad?

Conquistador_del_mar
06-23-2014, 02:00 PM
pretty cool. Was the girl standing next to you watching the video live on an iPad?

Yes. Most people would clamp an iphone or android phone in the transmitter clamp where you can see what the camera is seeing and adjust the angle of the camera, but I used my iPad. You download the app and it has tons of information more than just the camera view (FPV). It also tells you things like the battery % left, altitude, distance away from you, warnings, and you can take still pictures or videos at the touch of a button on the smartphone. You also adjust camera and video resolution using the smartphone. It also has the GPS indicator of where the drone is relative to your position. Much more information, too! Absolutely awesome technology is at work! It also has a failsafe built in. If you ever lost connection with the transmitter or just turn off the transmitter, the Phantom will automatically climb to 60', return to the home position (the place where it took off), and land itself. If you happen to be at a higher altitude, it will come back to the home position and then lower itself from that altitude - thus avoiding most trees. The onboard GPS keeps it in a roughly 4' diameter limit as long as you have at least 6 satellites that it is tracking - the smartphone also tells you how many satellites are being tracked by the GPS. Tons of new technologies are incorporated in the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus!!

Conquistador_del_mar
06-23-2014, 02:14 PM
In this picture, you can see me showing Amanda how to take still shots by hitting the iPad photo button. Check out the resolution of the 14MP onboard camera. That red plastic in the upper right is one of the props guards which I highly recommend installing.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-02-2014, 02:23 AM
Still getting used to the whole system, but here is a video I took of my business this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXm6wZXeWL8&feature=youtu.be

Conquistador_del_mar
07-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Since Greg brought up a video of a Tuff being videoed by a drone, I thought I would show what these drones actually look like. My wife shot this video last Saturday as i was getting ready for a tour over a local small lake. Notice the cell phone on the transmitter which shows lots of information along with the view looking out of the drone camera (FPV - first person view).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES67NGmuwXo

Conquistador_del_mar
07-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Can you see us at the bottom center of this picture? I flew the drone over the islands we visit here at Lake Texoma and took this one at about 300' - the closest boat is my 23' Donzi center console. The second picture overlooks the lake from between the two islands. I also got some great and fun videos today on the maiden flight of the drone over water. There were 5 of us who went out today for a fun afternoon.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Our 23' Donzi

Conquistador_del_mar
07-21-2014, 11:59 AM
From above

Conquistador_del_mar
07-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Another overhead picture of where I typically go boating.

Vegas Classic
07-22-2014, 06:04 PM
A little overhead.;)