PDA

View Full Version : volvo 280 u joints

guy with the red donzi
05-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Hello, I finally got my 16 back in the water. It's been a while but it's finally in. This past winter I pulled the engine and repainted it, changed the intake and carb to a mid rise edelbrock intake and a holley carb, and I put a 23 ss prop on it. I took it out for a ride and noticed it had a vibration when I turned the boat. So I put my old prop on it just to make sure that the new prop wasn't the issue. So I pulled the drive off and checked for play in the gimbal and it was fine. I also double checked the engine alignment and it was perfect. So I looked at the u joints and the one u joint had a slight amount of play in it. So my big question is do I have to pull the four bolts and pull the whole yoke out or is there an easy way to pop the u joint out? Also can I just go to the autoparts store and match up the u joints? Thanks Chris

f_inscreenname
05-28-2014, 02:26 AM
I forget the part # at the moment but I'm sure someone will have it before I get to the garage but a XXX U joint is a XXX U joint. Also keep in mind when taking the old ones out you are not trying to save them meaning I've been known to use a saw-zaw.

mario
05-28-2014, 02:32 PM
buy good u joints pull the 4 bolts and put a new seal in wile you at it and replace the bellows to wile you have the top off the drive check you water hose hand fitting to easy job

mattyboy
05-28-2014, 07:16 PM
if you are replacing the splined part of the u joint you'll need to get the right type , fine or corse splined