PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Reccomendations

newdays33
05-27-2014, 09:52 PM
I am looking to replace the trailer for my 22 Classic.. Any reccomendations. I trailer the boat quite a bit. Not looking to break the bank, but I want something that will last...
Tow vehicle is an F350 Diesel... Weight... not an issue

Thx

Ghost
05-27-2014, 10:36 PM
I am looking to replace the trailer for my 22 Classic.. Any reccomendations. I trailer the boat quite a bit. Not looking to break the bank, but I want something that will last...
Tow vehicle is an F350 Diesel... Weight... not an issue

Thx

Whereabouts are you? I suppose that could make a difference.

A few thoughts:

Spend the money for electric over hydraulic disc brakes since you trailer a lot.

If you don't want to break the bank I'd go with adjustable bunks (for a perfect fit) rather than going with a custom-welded non-adjustable (for a fit only as good as it the welds, or with shims under the bunks).

I would NOT get custom-welded bunks under any circumstances if the builder didn't have my boat present to ensure fit. No way. Don' t do it. And even then, the fit cannot be better than an adjustable-bunk model. At best it will be as good. Custom-welded ladder frame? Absolutely yes. Custom-welded bunks? No need to spend the money in my view.

I'd go either galvanized or aluminum if you want it to last w/low maintenance. I wouldn't touch a painted steel trailer, even in fresh water, due to the work over the long haul. There are very nice painted ones out there, they look better than galvanized, but they're WAY more work to keep that way. Galvanized only costs about $500 more. Worth it at 4 times that price. (But make sure they dip it AFTER all the welding is done.)

For a specific builder, I highly recommend Loadmaster in NW Ohio. Great people, great product. Not on the cheap end of the spectrum but excellent value. They built a galvanized trailer for my Cig 24 last year. They've done a 22 Classic for a board member here and it's pictured on their website. I bet they still have the plans and could do it exactly right without your boat being present--probably without you even sending in measurements. Half an hour adjusting with a jack and some ratchets and it'll fit PERFECTLY.

http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/powerboats/2008-donzi-22-classic-on-a-custom-painted-loadmaster-trailer.jpg

mc donzi
05-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Ditto on the Loadmaster. Mine is all aluminum. I only trailer about 200 miles/year.

It came with my 22C so I don't have any idea what they are worth.