PDA

View Full Version : cone clutch time for King Cobra? thoughts/advice

JayZ
05-27-2014, 06:13 PM
My King Cobra drive is acting up. It will engage in fwd when I first splash it but if I shift to either neutral or reverse after a run it won't reengage into forward.

I've changed the drive oil -there was some water in there. I'm not sure but it may have come in from the drain plug as it was pretty loose when I backed it off to drain the drive oil. I do plan on a vaccum and pressure test to confirm.

I filled the drive with Volvo synthetic 75w90 and after 2 runs the oil looks clean and at the correct level.

I have changed the shift cable from the bracket to the drive. -I haven't changed the one from the shifter to the bracet however.

Nothing seems to have changed it still is giving me problems. First run out it runs great but as soon as I shift to neutral it gives me problems. It will go back into forward after some time passes. -not sure how long it takes I just know that if I park it come back to it and fire it up it goes into forward.

So does this sound like the cone clutch?

I'm inclined to pay the money and have it repaired if that is what it needs but am also tempted to just apply the cash towards a bravo conversion since mechanics and parts are more readily available for that mercruiser stuff.

Thoughts and advice appreciated...

JZ

gcarter
05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
I think that's a really tough decision. You know the Bravo would be an easy decision, but your drive has a reputation for toughness and a potential higher speed.

Good luck!

JayZ
05-28-2014, 10:04 AM
I think that's a really tough decision. You know the Bravo would be an easy decision, but your drive has a reputation for toughness and a potential higher speed.

Good luck!

...it is a tough decision.

Jraysray
05-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Bravo swap, sell KC and quit worrying about that damn drive!!!:):):):):):):):):):)

blackhawk
06-01-2014, 05:16 PM
My buddy's KC was doing the same thing. My thoughts were it needed to cool before it would shift into drive again

We pulled the clutch, flipped it and lapped it and no problems since. I figured the reverse side was used very little so it would work and so far so good.

JayZ
06-03-2014, 09:10 PM
My buddy's KC was doing the same thing. My thoughts were it needed to cool before it would shift into drive again

We pulled the clutch, flipped it and lapped it and no problems since. I figured the reverse side was used very little so it would work and so far so good.

...blackhawk, did you need any special tools? Is it a diy? ...any good manuals out there or how to info?

blackhawk
06-03-2014, 10:03 PM
...blackhawk, did you need any special tools? Is it a diy? ...any good manuals out there or how to info?
No special tools required for a KC that I remember(which surprised me). He did borrow a manual and I will try to find out thevbrand/publisher.

JayZ
06-06-2014, 08:30 AM
For those following along, drive off and at the shop for cone clutch replacement...

duckhunter
06-06-2014, 11:03 AM
For those following along, drive off and at the shop for cone clutch replacement...

I think that's a good call, especially if there's a local shop that can work on it. Good luck!

JayZ
06-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Wasn't cheap but fixed quickly, back on the water and running like a top.