PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tab Recommendations?

BOSTONCAMARO
05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Hello Everyone!

I have not been here in awhile, been busy working on our car projects but am considering trim tabs for our 5.0 Ford I/O Sweet 16.

What would be a good way to go, I am guessing the dash controlled hydraulic / electric(?) type would be best?

What do they run? who are some good vendors who also are supporters of the forum?

thanks, Tim

Just Say N20
05-12-2014, 03:44 PM
On a 16, that isn't running over 70, Bennett tabs are probably the most common. I will also say, that Bennett is one of the best companies to work with. Good product, and amazing customer support.

Lenco also makes tabs. I have no personal experience with them. They are electrically actuated, as opposed to the Bennetts, which are hydraulic.

I have had Bennetts on all three of my Donzi classics, and they are great. I would strongly suggest that they are fastened by thru-bolting them on, rather than using the wood screws that come in the kit. I had used some oversized screws, and it still pulled one right out of the transom.

BOSTONCAMARO
05-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Any particular size or model Bennetts? how do they work? do you have to mechanically adjust them? trial and error? do they actuate on their own..when bolting through what do you use on the boat to seal it? clear RTV?

I appreciate the info, pics and details would help me greatly, thanks!

gcarter
05-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Read their site:
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/
It'll answer all your questions.
Great (actually the BEST) products for small boats.
And everything Bill said.

Carl C
05-16-2014, 04:14 PM
I agree with the Bennetts. You should only need the small single ram ones.

Greg Guimond
05-16-2014, 05:12 PM
I have Bennetts as well and they have been very reliable :yes: You might also be able to search up a clean used freshwater pair in your area for short money.

Morgan's Cloud
05-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Another nice thing is that they're virtually unchanged after many years in existence so if you ever need parts ,even 30 years from now , you'll still be able to find new stuff on the shelves when you go looking.

BOSTONCAMARO
05-27-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't mind buying a new set, the boat we have is pretty nice and would rather use new stuff, thanks for the info.

Think on my 16 I would be best off with the self leveling type or use the ones that can be adjusted on the fly...

Carl C
05-27-2014, 03:58 PM
I think the self leveling are just passive spring loaded tabs. Definitely not what you want. No ATC either for a small boat. Auto retractor is a nice option though.