PDA

View Full Version : Speedo pitot help

Kirbyvv
05-05-2014, 11:21 AM
I got tired of dealing with the plastic speedometer pickup pitots, so bought a stainless Hardin Marine flip up kit. It came with no directions at all. Anyone know how deep to install the tube below the hull?

Conquistador_del_mar
05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I think if the bottom of the pickup is 2" below the hull you should get a good pressure signal except for really rough conditions. If this is the one you bought, you can make minor height adjustments later. http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-221-pitot-kick-up-assembly.aspx

Carl C
05-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Good call on the spring loaded one. Mount it off center so it doesn't interfere with water to the prop. The bottom of mine is about even with the bottom of the boat and it never loses a reading even in a banked turn. It could probably be higher. Yours is a different style but mounting should be the same. Those are only $79?! I paid $235 for the Livorsi:bonk:.

Kirbyvv
05-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks, yes it is the Hardin Marine one. Only $79, but not even a picture of how to install it. Thanks guys.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks, yes it is the Hardin Marine one. Only $79, but not even a picture of how to install it. Thanks guys.

Definitely use the largest ss pan head self tapping screws you can fit thru the holes (maybe #12s or #14s) at least 1 1/2" with silicone sealer in the holes you drill. Hopefully the new one will cover over the old holes which you can fill with silicone or you might have to do a little fill work. It should be mounted perpendicular to the ground - not to the hull bottom. Hope this helps.

gcarter
05-06-2014, 05:14 AM
I found out a long time ago that gel is very hard and sometimes trying to get a screw through it will result in one or more of the screws breaking off.
What I did to correct it was to drill oversize holes through the gel and normal diameter holes (for the particular screw size) into the transom wood. That way the screws aren't to cut threads through the gel.

Carl C
05-06-2014, 06:06 AM
I found out a long time ago that gel is very hard and sometimes trying to get a screw through it will result in one or more of the screws breaking off.
What I did to correct it was to drill oversize holes through the gel and normal diameter holes (for the particular screw size) into the transom wood. That way the screws aren't to cut threads through the gel.

I did mine similarly but my transom isn't wood and I sealed everything, including screws and screw heads, with 4200. I wonder if that type pitot will slowly work it's way up? Kirbyvv, how fast is your boat?

Kirbyvv
05-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the input. I will seal everything, and patch/seal the old holes. My boat runs just shy of 60 mph, with a stock 260 hp SBC and long legged Volvo 280T.