PDA

View Full Version : Lake St Clair Criterion

smidgen too
04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Here are some restoration pic's of a very cool Lake St Clair Criterion belonging to Chip Miller. What makes this Donzi really unique is Chip bought it from the late William Clay Ford from the Ford Motor car company & owner of the Detroit Lions hence the name SEA LION. Ford had kept her @ Chips marina Miller Marine since new, so when Ford was ready to sell it early last year Chip bought it. These pic's don't do the Donzi justice, it's perfect.
Chip also bought the 28' Bertram Baron that Bill [redaleart] & I had that Chips Dad raced in the mid 70's, that restoration will start when this Donzi is finished..

Greg Guimond
04-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Now THAT is very, very cool :worthy:

smidgen too
04-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Chip found a brand new Trs drive & gimbal that was still in the box for this restoration as the original was shot from corrosion . The big block Merc engine had less than 100hrs so a good clean up is all that's needed. The one thing Chip has not found is a new calculator that sets in the dash,:nilly: but the original is still usable.:)

olredalert
04-29-2014, 09:18 AM
----I used to go by Millers every now and then before I knew Chip and check that this Critter was still there and it always was. Just sitting there in that boat slip under cover. Chip is certainly doing a near perfect job on the resto! I cant wait to see it this summer.......Bill S

Lenny
04-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Port helm, interesting... ???

Conquistador_del_mar
04-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Chip found a brand new Trs drive & gimbal that was still in the box for this restoration as the original was shot from corrosion . The big block Merc engine had less than 100hrs so a good clean up is all that's needed. The one thing Chip has not found is a new calculator that sets in the dash,:nilly: but the original is still usable.:)

What was the purpose of the calculator and what does one look like?

MDonziM
04-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Very cool provenance on that Criterion. Chevy or Ford power?

olredalert
04-29-2014, 01:48 PM
----It is, indeed, a Chevy 454. That actually surprised me when I found out. Back when I used to see this rare piece I never saw the hatch up. I just assumed it was probably a 460 or some other big cube Ford engine......Bill S

Ed Donnelly
04-29-2014, 03:46 PM
I thought all the Criterions with the exception of the Criterion 11 came with
The 454. My Criterion SS came with a 370H.P. 454...Ed

Lenny
04-29-2014, 03:53 PM

It's for keeping track of how much you have spent on your boating "hobbie" . Also comes with a handgun.

:yes:

smidgen too
04-29-2014, 09:57 PM

Bill, Purpose, Chip & I have no idea, :boggled:. It's built into the dash & looks a typical 70's calculator 3"wide x 5" tall . Chip said it's always been there & still works, just a little faded.. Mark

Sweet Cheekz
04-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Sweet ride and a cool history
Parnell

smidgen too
06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Here are the latest pic's of Chips Millers Criterion restoration that he plans to have at this years Lake St Clair Offshore Reunion.

woobs
06-04-2014, 11:14 AM
It's for keeping track of how much you have spent on your boating "hobbie" . Also comes with a handgun.

:yes:

Lenny, That's flippin' hilarious... best comment ever (for those that have done a restoration)!
I might have even hurt myself laughing!!!:rlol:

Greg Guimond
06-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Here are the latest pic's of Chips Millers Criterion restoration.

That interior looks to be very unique. Not only is the tuck and roll super straight and tight, the vinyl almost looks like it's cloudy with slightly different blue hues. Very cool :starfish:

smidgen too
06-04-2014, 10:49 PM
That interior looks to be very unique. Not only is the tuck and roll super straight and tight, the vinyl almost looks like it's cloudy with slightly different blue hues. Very cool :starfish:.
That's the original interior, as it was always in a cover well @ Chips Marina. Keeping it out of the sun was good for the vinyl but sitting in the water took it's toll on the out drive & some of the gel. Chip found a brand new in a box a Merc Trs drive & gimbal. :yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
06-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Really nice looking Criterion! Do you know what he is going to do about that computer?

Fishermanjm
06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
very very very cool boat!!!

bverd
06-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Cool article in PowerboatNation on the Criterion restoration... http://www.powerboatnation.com/content/573-video-chip-miller-restoration-1979-donzi-criterion.html

smidgen too
06-11-2014, 08:04 PM
NICE video,,,, Chip plans to have it at this years old school reunion on Lake St Clair.

smidgen too
06-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Here is the latest pic's of Chips restoration, the engine is in & it's almost done...

smidgen too
07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Chip Miller came to the old school reunion with his Criterion, even in the rain it looked great

mattyboy
07-23-2014, 06:08 AM
been following Chip's project on FB it is awesome love the lions blue

Greg Guimond
07-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Here are some restoration pic's of a very cool Lake St Clair Criterion belonging to Chip Miller. What makes this Donzi really unique is Chip bought it from the late William Clay Ford from the Ford Motor car company & owner of the Detroit Lions hence the name SEA LION. Ford had kept her @ Chips marina Miller Marine since new, so when Ford was ready to sell it early last year Chip bought it. These pic's don't do the Donzi justice, it's perfect.

Another forum member found this so I wanted to post the picture for the archive. I'm sure that you or your friend, Chip Miller will have some background on it. Another cool find, and this one also has the engraved identification. At a minimum, call the seller and compare some notes. :cool:

sandslot
07-29-2018, 11:18 AM
I located a C18 from Long Island that has hull C18-445 or 446. The boat looks like the 22 above in terms of color combination. I'm trying to determine the roots of this hull number. I've attached a picture of when it was new (came with the boat). It came without a motor, but does have the Volvo Penta OD

Conquistador_del_mar
07-30-2018, 12:17 PM
I located a C18 from Long Island that has hull C18-445 or 446. The boat looks like the 22 above in terms of color combination. I'm trying to determine the roots of this hull number. I've attached a picture of when it was new (came with the boat). It came without a motor, but does have the Volvo Penta OD

A moderator might move this to another forum topic area, but I wanted to mention that there are apparently records of many of the earlier Donzi hull numbers. I have a red 1971 18' with hull number C18-420 so your boat was made sometime later. Bill