PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a sweet 16 need help

aseredin87
04-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi Gents,

I am in the market for a sweet 16, have always loved the style and look, but I am hesitant to make a purchase without knowing everything there is to know. I am currently looking at a 77-78 16. Motor was replaced after the last owner didn't winterize the boat properly and cracked the block. New 350 was installed with the original drive I am unsure what it is. The interior looks fantastic. The paint doesn't look bad, but you can tell that it was a spray over and I can almost guarantee its clear coated no gel. Minor chips in the fiber glass, but other than that doesn't look bad.
I am going today to look at the boat again, hear it run and make my decision. If anyone out there can tell me what I should be looking at to determine if the boat is worth it, anything will help thank you.
Oh before I forget owner wants $8,700

Thank you

Alex

thanks for the quick response I posted the link so you can see.
the boat was salt water used, the owner has a mechanics shop so that's who has been performing all the work on it. I am sure the gas tank is original but that question will be brought up when I see it later.
the interior looks great seats replaced a year ago. original patina on the gauges, shifter, wheel.
The trailer is in good condition, but If I do buy the boat I have the privilege of living on the water so the boat will be dry docked behind the house.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/4435598646.html

jl1962
04-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Has the boat been used in salt water or fresh?

Original gas tank? After almost 40 years, the original tanks are getting iffy.....
Replacement is neither easy nor cheap.

What shape is the interior in?

What shape is the trailer in?

Who has maintained the boat? Pro or amateur?

Please post pictures and you'll get more input.

And welcome to the Board!

:)

mattyboy
04-28-2014, 09:25 AM
salt water boats can be an adventure. you will want to check the mechanicals very closely anything metallic can be effected.

use your nose to see if there are gas fumes

tap the transom with you knuckles or the handle of a screwdriver you should hear a crisp sound if it sounds hollow or like a thud there is moisture in it.

test everything, everything that is not up to snuff will take the price down.

to give you an Idea of the market value in 2001 I purchased a 67 16 the price was 8900 there were a few issues trim tabs leaked but that all lead to a lower sell price 8500. I ENJOYED the boat for 8 years replaced the tank and some little stuff and sold it for 9500 in 2009. I guess my point is they hold value well, you would be hardpressed to find another boat that will hold value like it.

BTW a 77-78 is not a sweet 16 it is a 16 skisporter the original 16

mattyboy
04-28-2014, 09:34 AM
also these might help

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/16ident.pdf

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pages/skisporter.asp

if you have any questions fire away

pipnit
04-28-2014, 01:25 PM
I have two pieces of advice. The first is to try to find a fresh water boat.

The second and the one that I think is MUCH more important is spend the 250-600 bucks to have a very good survey done. If you can find someone who does thermal imaging of the hull, that's even better. Find out who heads up the marine surveyors association for your region and call him and ask who the best is.
I've seen it many many times where someone buys a "good" boat only to find out that they are needing to do a TON of $work$ to actually make it a good boat. My friend who is doing a customers boat right now that he paid 8k for but will have 10k in repairs. Something that is avoidable should be avoided. Even if you find out the boat you like is a turd and the inspection money doesn't go towards the boat you wanted, you're so far ahead.

my two cents

gcarter
04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
I'd suggest you look at 18's also.
I think they're a lot more boat than the two foot difference would suggest.
Potentially faster and has a lot more room in the engine compartment.

Greg Guimond
04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
My .03 for you ...........

I run in Long Island Sound, the Hudson River and the Atlantic all the time with my 16s. If you want a 16 I would strongly suggest you get a later year Sweet 16 with two forward facing bucket seats if you're going to explore with it. The Sound and the various Bays can get going and two buckets make the 16 a lot more family and rider friendly and still give you the great looks we all love.

Second thing is as pipnit said, look for a fresh water boat instead. I boat exclusively in salt water and you are always going to have surprises when you buy a salt water boat. You would limit those if you spend a few more bucks out of the gate and get one that is fresh water only. The 16s are small enough that you can expand you search area to include places like New Hampshire etc and just go drag it back behind the car. There are a fair amount of 16 I/Os coming on the market now so you should have some choices.

Third thing, if you decide to go older have a pressure test done to check the gas tank.

If you find one people here would be glad to put a quick set of eyes on it before you have to travel any distance. Good Luck!

joseph m. hahnl
04-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Talk about kill joy:garfield:. Salt is good for stringer and transom preservation where as fresh water rots every thing. We owned a 1964 Trojan F31 bought new. All plywood planning hull the boats rotted from the top down from rain water leaking at the deck line. never had an ounce of rot in the bilge. Doesn't matter what year it is you'll always get hammered by the gas tank poopers:rolleyes: A new 350 motor and the new interior are worth the price of the boat add paint on top of that. BAM! your ahead of the game.:kingme: It's a sixteen foot boat not a 60 foot Hatteras. It's a gamble with any boat. there are drain holes in the stringer in the engine bay . stick your finger in the hole and feel side to side you'll be able to see if there is rot that is where it starts at the drain holes. Check that all the circuits wok and look at the buss bars they'll give you an indication as to how the wire connectors are fairing. good luck:biggrin.:

pipnit
04-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Not trying to be a killjoy, just some food for thought. I will say this, my '76 2+3 has the original tank and it's going strong!

mario
04-29-2014, 06:01 AM
get a mechanical survey
loosen hose clamp on bellows check for water or rust
psi check drive check water hoses fitting
compression check
running sea trail
pull a bolt out off stringer and check wood

and ask if they want to sell that ice cream truck I always wanted a good humor truck to do car shows

jl1962
04-29-2014, 06:07 AM
OK - I see the Craig's List ad now.

Looks clean from the outside. More pix would help.

Oyster Bay is salt (duh) - not a deal breaker but there's no substitute for a long time fresh water boat IMO.

Check transom and stringers and agree - get a survey.

Price is probably fair - just keep your check book well padded.

Where will you use the boat?

+1 on the Good Humor truck!

Greg Guimond
04-29-2014, 08:21 PM
If you are set on lounge seating hard to go wrong with this 1996 .................

1996 Donzi 16' Classic with trailer
SS drive
New motor - 350 w/Whipple blower
New headers
New wiring
Interior is excellent
Exterior is excellent
Trailer needs some minor cosmetic work.
Too much to list
Topped out at 75 GPS but still has more to go
Thought I wanted a go-fast like when I was young and dumb. Just don't seem to use it like I thought I would

Call Steve
301-908-0857

joseph m. hahnl
04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
If you are set on lounge seating hard to go wrong with this 1996 .................

1996 Donzi 16' Classic with trailer
SS drive
New motor - 350 w/Whipple blower
New headers
New wiring
Interior is excellent
Exterior is excellent
Trailer needs some minor cosmetic work.
Too much to list
Topped out at 75 GPS but still has more to go
Thought I wanted a go-fast like when I was young and dumb. Just don't seem to use it like I thought I would

Call Steve
301-908-0857

That's a lot of boat for $8700 :bonk: It's also a lot of boat for your first ride in a Donzi:kingme:

Greg Guimond
04-30-2014, 08:39 PM
That's a lot of boat for $8700 :bonk: It's also a lot of boat for your first ride in a Donzi:kingme:

It's not $8,700. It's $15k which is reasonable for what it is. Having the ponies doesn't mean you have to use them the first year :biggrin.: Why waste time chasing the dream. Just buy it and he's done for at least 6 years. Makes the extra $6k a grand a year in incremental fun :)

mattyboy
05-02-2014, 07:30 AM
I always felt the lounge seating 16 was a "bigger" boat than the 2 +2 16 classic. The L seating lends itself very well to water sports and to lounge out in the sun. We had the routine down pretty well as a family of 4 shimey this way slide that way. The buckets seats make it a better flat out wot for the passenger but get in the way for just about everything else.
a seasoned 16 L seat passenger learns the crouching crane or bracing bear techniques which make running hard and fast easy . The 16 is a great boat and a blast to drive everyone should have one once in the lifetime.

BTW someone is going to have to prove the bilge is bigger in the 18 than a 16 According to the designer the 16 was cut in two and the length added amidships forward.

aseredin87
05-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Well I took the plunge and purchased the boat. Thank you all for your help and knowledge. After hearing her run I couldn't keep myself contained. Dropped if off at my mechanic last night for a tune up and a once over and hopefully Ill have it in the water by the weekend. probably give it a quick cleaning as well but all in all I am very excited, lets hope all go's well. The boat is going to be run on the south shore of Long Island. So if there is anyone on the south shore? And by the way its a 74 not a 77-78.

will post pics soon
Steve thank you for the offer anyway

Alex

jl1962
05-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Congrats and Welcome (again)!

You should also consider coming up to Lake George over Father's Day weekend for the 19th Annual Donzi Spring Dust-off.

Ed Donnelly
05-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Enjoy your new toy...Ed

mattyboy
05-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Good Luck

the 350 volvo should be a reliable setup just make sure your fuel system is up to date for the ethanol crap we get in NY

aseredin87
05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Good Luck

the 350 volvo should be a reliable setup just make sure your fuel system is up to date for the ethanol crap we get in NY

Your telling me brought the boat home last night, ran it for a few minutes before throwing it in the water. Stopped for gas on the way, which must have turned up the sediment siting in the tank from the winter, and the boat ran like ****. Was bringing it to the mechanic anyway for a check up so I'm having him drain the tank as well and check the carbs. Waste of $40 bucks

mattyboy
05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
if the fuel lines are original they will not hold up to ethanol , have you mechanic look at them .

joseph m. hahnl
05-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Let the sibling rivalry begin:kingme:.Definitely want to get a fuel line with the ethanol proof liner:yes:

aseredin87
05-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Let the sibling rivalry begin:kingme:.Definitely want to get a fuel line with the ethanol proof liner:yes:

How difficult is it to replace the fuel line? From what ive been reading replacing the gas tank requires the deck to be removed. How do they run lines to the tank if there is no access?

mattyboy
05-02-2014, 10:17 PM
the vent line should be accessible up by the fill hose. The supply line should be accessible with the floor locker out and some longer skinny arms or there may be an access hole in the floor by the sender . you'll want to put in a fuel filter/ separator . and just know that everyone with a 40 yr old boat has to dance with the 800lb gorilla that is a foamed in metallic tank

joseph m. hahnl
05-03-2014, 06:12 AM
How difficult is it to replace the fuel line? From what ive been reading replacing the gas tank requires the deck to be removed. How do they run lines to the tank if there is no access? Usually they leave the pick up tube and sender accessible through the floor locker like Matty said:yes:. I left my old one in place and just ran a new one on the inner side of the stringer. It's really not that long of a run and not that difficult. you may have to replace the fittings if you choose not to use crimped fittings on the hose. Just make sure you use the right J spec marine fuel line, as they do come in a few flavors:biggrin.:

f_inscreenname
05-03-2014, 08:48 AM
and even if the tank was replaced...
Have the top off the 18 now because of a tank replacement that's replacing a tank that was replaced before and then enclosed in open cell foam.

Just Say N20
05-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Don't freak just yet. Ethanol fuel settles into layers, with water on the bottom, where the pickup is.

Alcohol also is more of a solvent that gas, which tends to loosen up crap on the tank sides/bottom. It also will dissolve the fuel line (if it is the original). All the loosed up crap will plug filters, and water obviously doesn't burn, if it happens to make it as far as the carb.

There should be at least one inline filter, and depending on the carb (2 bbl vs 4 bbl) there is usually a smaller, secondary filter inside the carb behind where the fuel line attaches to the carb.

Also no telling what condition the carb is in. You did say it ran for a little before filling the tank and launching.

Unless you can tell the fuel line looks like it has been replaced, or you can still read the markings on the line to see what certification/rating it has, you really should replace it. Thank you politicians for the really bad idea of adding alcohol to our gas.

Climb up under the bow a little on the storage tray, and see if it smells like gas. If it smells strongly of gas, you most likely have an issue with the tank. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but it can feel like it. I never intended to pull the deck when I first bought my 16, but ended up doing it, which allowed me to fix a lot of things, and verify the fuel tank (which had been replaced) was still solid.

aseredin87
05-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Don't freak just yet. Ethanol fuel settles into layers, with water on the bottom, where the pickup is.

Alcohol also is more of a solvent that gas, which tends to loosen up crap on the tank sides/bottom. It also will dissolve the fuel line (if it is the original). All the loosed up crap will plug filters, and water obviously doesn't burn, if it happens to make it as far as the carb.

There should be at least one inline filter, and depending on the carb (2 bbl vs 4 bbl) there is usually a smaller, secondary filter inside the carb behind where the fuel line attaches to the carb.

Also no telling what condition the carb is in. You did say it ran for a little before filling the tank and launching.

Unless you can tell the fuel line looks like it has been replaced, or you can still read the markings on the line to see what certification/rating it has, you really should replace it. Thank you politicians for the really bad idea of adding alcohol to our gas.

Climb up under the bow a little on the storage tray, and see if it smells like gas. If it smells strongly of gas, you most likely have an issue with the tank. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but it can feel like it. I never intended to pull the deck when I first bought my 16, but ended up doing it, which allowed me to fix a lot of things, and verify the fuel tank (which had been replaced) was still solid.

ok im going to look into this. Before I made the purchase, I made sure the boat was running. Ran it for a good 10 min, on whatever gas was in the tank at the time and it ran fine. brought it home ran it again just to be sure I didnt get stuck at the dock, filled it up and the problem began, spoke to the marina today. The mechanic didnt get a chance to look at it but hes pretty sure its the old gas in the tank. Im thinking that the carb is clogged up as well, just with my experiences with my other boats and lawn equipment. Ill have to make sure I add stabilizer next time, but in the mean time ill take the opportunity to wax it all up

aseredin87
05-03-2014, 10:20 PM

ok im going to look into this. Before I made the purchase, I made sure the boat was running. Ran it for a good 10 min, on whatever gas was in the tank at the time and it ran fine. brought it home ran it again just to be sure I didnt get stuck at the dock, filled it up and the problem began, spoke to the marina today. The mechanic didnt get a chance to look at it but hes pretty sure its the old gas in the tank. Im thinking that the carb is clogged up as well, just with my experiences with my other boats and lawn equipment. Ill have to make sure I add stabilizer next time, but in the mean time ill take the opportunity to wax it all up

joseph m. hahnl
05-04-2014, 06:11 AM

Climb up under the bow a little on the storage tray, and see if it smells like gas. If it smells strongly of gas, you most likely have an issue with the tank. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but it can feel like it. I never intended to pull the deck when I first bought my 16, but ended up doing it, which allowed me to fix a lot of things, and verify the fuel tank (which had been replaced) was still solid. I know it. All that varnish from over the years comes off and fouls the fuel. Filters only get the big stuff, and if you go to a fine micron filter it plugs instantly. A string filter, like for water purification would be cool if the made it for gasoline.

aseredin87
06-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Ok,
So I had my first weekend running the boat and let me tell you, I definitely made the right purchase. The sound alone is worth the money. As discussed after the initial run, the carb was rebuilt, new fuel pump, and gas lines installed, throttle cable is new and I had a fresh water flush installed. The only issue I had was with the engine trim which was removed but the original line was left abandoned in the boat and was not sealed, you can imagine the surprise I got after running for an hour and opened the hatch. After my heart sank thinking the hull was cracked I quickly realized the issue, pumped out the bilge and tied up the line. Other than that the boat runs amazingly. What are my options in installing a new trim? I have attached a few photos and a quick little video. Still don't have the balls to run full throttle until I am alittle more comfortable with the handling but it flies, and the looks are well worth it.

mattyboy
06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
looks more like a 67 than a 74 does it have a HIN stamped on the upper right hand transom?

jl1962
06-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Not a '67 w/ that instrument cluster (I don't think).

When did they change from the 5 in a row gauges?

mattyboy
06-03-2014, 08:59 PM
a 74 would stand a good chance of being a 350 volvo boat from the factory this boat has had the exhaust tips moved probably when the ford sb was removed.

the dash panel was first used in 65 on the 18 and I have not been able to find a clear demarcation from when the arched panel was stopped and the trapezoid panel took over

both appear in 16's the arched was used in the corsican as well in the 16 it was probably just a matter of what they had on hand when the boat was rigged

is the deck on this boat cored? if it is the original tank still installed there may be a date on it or do a search for a written hull number up by the bow eye or on the back of the dash

a 74 should have the longer inner strakes as well

aseredin87
06-03-2014, 09:39 PM
The reg reads 74 and the hull number is DMR166790874, The boat is registered on the site by one of the previous owners, as a 74 as well. Weather permitting, tomorrow I will take a look under the dash and at the tank. Any ideas on installing an outboard tilt, looks to me like all the existing wiring is present as well as the control on the dash?

mattyboy
06-04-2014, 05:04 AM
unusual for a 74 to only have 2 clamshell vents this sounds like Brian73/Kirks old boat

tilt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-Mechanical-Tilt-mechanism-AQ-270-275-280-285-wireing-motor-Relays-/171347301465?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item27e5185459&vxp=mtr

does the drive still have the kick up bracket ?

aseredin87
06-04-2014, 12:25 PM
unusual for a 74 to only have 2 clamshell vents this sounds like Brian73/Kirks old boat

tilt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-Mechanical-Tilt-mechanism-AQ-270-275-280-285-wireing-motor-Relays-/171347301465?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item27e5185459&vxp=mtr

does the drive still have the kick up bracket ?

I believe it is Brian's boat as the boat is registered on the site under a Brian E.
Do you know if he is still around. Maybe he want to make me an offerhttp://www.donzi.net/ubb/icons/icon12.gif

aseredin87
06-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Taken by the Atlantic Beach bridge the other day, Stopped to take a swim and thought it would be a great opportunity to take some shots

JimG
06-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Gorgeous boat! Enjoy!

Greg Guimond
06-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Very nice photos. Boat looks really clean! Is that Jamaica Bay? I went walkabout from CT through the Sound last weekend and ended up at JFK :eek:

aseredin87
06-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Very nice photos. Boat looks really clean! Is that Jamaica Bay? I went walkabout from CT through the Sound last weekend and ended up at JFK :eek:

No its Reynolds Chanel right before you go out the inlet towards Jamaica Bay. Are you sure you weren't by La Guardia airport? that's on the sound side, JFKs on the Atlantic

mattyboy
06-24-2014, 03:41 PM
No its Reynolds Chanel right before you go out the inlet towards Jamaica Bay. Are you sure you weren't by La Guardia airport? that's on the sound side, JFKs on the Atlantic

yes they have a boat problem at La Guardia :eek: :cool!:

looks good did you get the tilt motor in?

aseredin87
06-24-2014, 04:32 PM
yes they have a boat problem at La Guardia :eek: :cool!:

looks good did you get the tilt motor in?

Purchased but not installed as of yet. Schedules to busy, and when I have some down time all I want to do is play:yes: but hopefully soon.

Morgan's Cloud
06-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Great looking little boat .About as classic looking as an 18 can come .

Greg Guimond
06-24-2014, 07:28 PM

No, I passed by LGA very early and do that often.

Went down the East River, out the Harbor hugging the leeward side and then, when I should have turned around .... took a left and explored some more. Some guy told me I was in Howard Beach when I was trying to find the spot where I bought my first 16 in Sheepshead Bay a loooooong time ago so I pressed on and followed the planes. The run back was a back breaker but I'm always amazed at what a 16 can do in big water if you respect it and the conditions. Enjoy your new Donzi and welcome.

Take it to the Statue on a calm 'morn. :yes:

aseredin87
06-24-2014, 09:48 PM
No, I passed by LGA very early and do that often.

Went down the East River, out the Harbor hugging the leeward side and then, when I should have turned around .... took a left and explored some more. Some guy told me I was in Howard Beach when I was trying to find the spot where I bought my first 16 in Sheepshead Bay a loooooong time ago so I pressed on and followed the planes. The run back was a back breaker but I'm always amazed at what a 16 can do in big water if you respect it and the conditions. Enjoy your new Donzi and welcome.

Take it to the Statue on a calm 'morn. :yes:

wow you got a pair to travel down the Hudson and then the Atlantic.... well if your ever in the neighborhood again would love to meet up will even pick up the tab, but you need to travel a little bit longer. I have family on the north shore Bayville to be exact and have been thinking of trialling over there, just aLittle unsure about the north shore, Would love to set up a club down here if anyone is interested? if your ever over here let me know.
Alex

aseredin87
06-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Great looking little boat .About as classic looking as an 18 can come .

thank you so much, it has been so enjoyable so far with all the ups and downs. every once in a while i wonder what i did but then i look out the window run down to the boat start the engine and all the worries go away, as long as it starts ... lol

Greg Guimond
06-25-2014, 12:40 PM
wow you got a pair to travel down the Hudson and then the Atlantic.... well if your ever in the neighborhood again would love to meet up will even pick up the tab, but you need to travel a little bit longer. I have family on the north shore Bayville to be exact and have been thinking of trialling over there, just aLittle unsure about the north shore, Would love to set up a club down here if anyone is interested? if your ever over here let me know.
Alex

Alex, Bayville on the North Shore of Long Island would be pretty easy. You could dunk your new Donzi in Bayville and run across the lower Sound to City Island. You can get gas and a bite to eat there and right outside that inlet is a lot of open water under the Throgs Neck Bridge for testing. It is also very cool to see the planes land at LGA as they are pretty close overhead on descent. Let me know if you ever head over to Bayville, I could meet you under the Throgs Neck Bridge which is hard to miss lol.

As far as going further than JFK on the South Shore in open water, I'm not familiar with those areas really. How much further out and what town? Probably not in the cards but I have been known to go walkabout with the little 16 for a couple of hundred miles round trip if the ocean is cooperating and the 12 hour forecast looks good. I wear two vests for those runs and will only go alone. WTF ....... YOLO :lifeprese:

10-31-2017, 02:16 PM
thank you so much, it has been so enjoyable so far with all the ups and downs. every once in a while i wonder what i did but then i look out the window run down to the boat start the engine and all the worries go away, as long as it starts ... lol

Just curious, are you still just as happy with this boat as you were back when you bought it?

I spent my first summer with my 16 and am looking forward to the first warm day that I get to bring it out of storage again.